Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM

90 posts, read 145,639 times

Advertisements

how bad the traffic can get in the rush hours? if anyone is in the same situation, I would greatly appreciate your insight.

is it too painful to drive all the way from, for example, Mamaroneck, Larchmont or Rye to Briarcliff Manor and back every day? Per Google map, it's half an hour with light traffic on I-287, but what is the more realistic estimate?

We really would love to live on the East side of Westchester for a number of reasons, but my husband's office is in Briarcliff.

Another alternative we're considering is Eastchester or Tuckahoe, but then my husband will mostly take smaller parkways so I assume the drive will be even longer?

Any feedback is very valuable. Thank you!

Last edited by NYfamily77; 08-07-2013 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 AM

156 posts, read 304,917 times
Well I live in Yorktown Heights and work in Rye so I guess I qualify to answer this. It's a schlep, plain and simple. It takes me 45 minutes/30 minutes in no traffic. I used to work in the South Bronx near Yankee Stadium for 18 years so I've never had a good commute.

287 is nearly always stop and go, and the Taconic is often, but not always, be a creepy crawl, particularly when it's been raining all day long and the people from the Bronx River are merging onto the the Taconic and find the entry to the Saw Mill is closed due the flooding from the rain. (This is when I take 684 instead. Obviously not an option for your potential trip. It's a theoretically longer drive but it usually moves.)

Friday afternoons are notorious, yet every now and then it won't be so bad and you scratch your head wondering why.

I ask my coworkers who live on the side of the county you're looking at what they do when they want to go west and they all say, "We stay here". Since I happen to love the western side of the county more, I'd really hate that. Look at Ossining/Scarborough/Croton area and yes, even Yorktown!!. Some great neighborhoods, albeit a different vibe.

Good luck.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM

ohh, thank you for this information, SulfurDog.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:07 AM

156 posts, read 304,917 times
You're welcome.The commute from Eastchester or Tuckahoe is a lot of highway hopping and of course the BRP is old and somewhat treacherous in the Scarsdale/White Plains section. I don't drive it anymore, but that commute isn't great either. Lots of potential to hit various problems.

I know what it's like to feel bent on an area, and you may have family or other obligations which make you need to be on that side of the county, but if you do have options to look elsewhere, I'd honestly look north of 287.

Best of luck!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:37 PM

SulfurDog, I'd be happy going north of 287 but cant go further than Pleasantville. This is because I work in Midtown everyday... Thank you for this great point though.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYfamily77 View Post
SulfurDog, I'd be happy going north of 287 but cant go further than Pleasantville. This is because I work in Midtown everyday... Thank you for this great point though.
The train ride from Croton is slightly shorter than the trip from Pleasantville (express trains are 43 minutes vs 46) and there are a lot more train options since Croton is a hub station, so the daily commute to midtown would actually be shorter and easier (not to mention a much much much nicer ride down the Hudson). And Croton to Briarcliff is a snap. So you should definitely consider Croton.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:10 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
OP is going against traffic. Cake commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County