Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 05:59 PM

30 posts, read 104,370 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have accecpted a new job in the White Plains NY area, I have heard that Eastchester and New Rochelle are the best places to move, I need 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 bath, I have two college age children and 2 very small pets, Tea Cup Yorkie, (less than 1lb) and Mini-Snauzer (12 lbs)

I currently live in Houston and its a misery, I came here for work, HUGE mistake. Can wait to get to NY, but I dont know the good and bad parts, I am looking in a 25 mile radius, NJ is out for me, I dont want to have to cross the bridge but if I found the right housing for me and my family I would be open. I need safety as a first, I have a 17 year old daughter and she is first and formost.

I need advice from all, I am going about the later part of August, so not too much time. So with that said whoever knows or has knowledge; please share. It is so appreciated....

Thanks to all!!!!
Happy Day
Yakti......

NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET ASAP....THANKS TO ALL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
You might want to post this on the Westchester board as White Plains, Eastchester and New Rochelle are all located there. Good luck on your move...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
If you are buying instead of renting, you might want to also look into Greenwich or Stamford in CT and post about that on the Connecticut forum as their property taxes are lower and they are also close to White Plains. In fact, they are closer to White Plains than Riverdale is and only a tiny bit farther than New Rochelle is from White Plains.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM

24 posts, read 82,672 times
New Rochelle and Eastchester are both great places to live and close to White Plains. Riverdale is a little further away, but nice nonetheless. I must warn you that the taxes in Westchester are killer! I would try renting before buying and just get a feel for the place. Visit the different villages and see which one suits you more, they all have their own personality. Rent in White Plains, there is a mix of urban and suburban feel and then visit the other town before setting down permanent roots. Like the other posting, visit CT as well, close enough and better taxes.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Property taxes are lower in Riverdale, but you have to pay NYC resident income tax, and your car insurance will be higher than in Westchester.

Better areas of New Rochelle are away from the downtown area, beyond the college, as the area varies greatly from large houses that sell in the seven-digit range to inexpensive apartments nearer the downtown, though crime is higher in that area too.

I agree with the advice above to consider Connecticut because it is not far from White Plains at all. The only area in Westchester with significantly lower property taxes is White Plains, itself, because of the large commercial base in the city that helps to offset the real estate taxes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County