U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,219,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
If you are at all concerned about this I would stay in the northern regions where there is less money.
Be careful here. East of the Saw Mill Parkway and I-684 there's as much or MORE money than downcounty (or at least fewer in the middle of the spectrum). Yet it's possibly the LEAST outwardly snobby. This is where gazillionaires drive beaters and go to the store in flip flops cause they have enough self confidence to not really care about image at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,157,635 times
OP, you don't need any validation because you're already going to do what you wish to do. I'm not going to say anything positive or negative about Westchester; in general everyone's experiences will be different. Just come and see for yourself.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 AM

475 posts, read 719,156 times
You really cant judge people by the cars they drive, I'm a blue-collar guy and I could afford a 3 Series Bimmer, however I like my Dodge Truck. I think in reality most people could careless what you drive anyway, it's a mode of transportation that serves a purpose, not much more then that really. In my opinion I would say the snobs are probably the ones who were handed wealth, those who started with very little and created their own wealth tend to not forget where they came from and are probably more appreciative of the things they have.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 AM

148 posts, read 453,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This is where gazillionaires drive beaters and go to the store in flip flops cause they have enough self confidence to not really care about image at all.
Well stated. Those who flaunt it never had money to begin with. It's usually the classes with "old" money who tone it down, with both, personality and image.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:05 PM

12,263 posts, read 9,412,569 times
Yes, Westchester really is all that snotty, especially the shore towns, Harrison, Scarsdale and any of the wealthier towns north of 287. I've lived or worked in various Westchester towns or villages for years and they really do think quite highly of themselves here. Be aware it is an attitude that will infect your children. If you think I'm blowing hot air, just take a look at the topics discussed in the Westchester forum versus the LI forum. Here people are obsessed with their property values or where to buy raw goat's milk.

It's a very nice place to live...and very expensive, and snotty as all get-out.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM

404 posts, read 524,833 times
To tell you the truth, the most snobbism I've run into is on this forum, not the actual county of Westchester or the people. There are some regulars on here who run down places which are perfectly fine, make constant ethnic references, mention 'blue-collar' like it's the plague, and let you know in no uncertain terms the things you always thought were perfectly lovely are lower-class and to be avoided. Many think in stereotypes with everything (myself, I have been insulted unabashedly, numerous times, for background, school, ethnicity, and I've been told without hesitation that my home town is a dump.) And here I thought I was an all-American, well-to-do kid from a nice town. I was gobsmacked.

So, a LARGE LARGE grain of salt must be taken with opinions on here; there's lots of pontificating.

I would love to know where you wind up...Westchester is so beautiful, it looks like a movie set in some places. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:00 PM

194 posts, read 332,745 times
Great Post. ITA

Old 09-18-2013, 05:31 PM

475 posts, read 719,156 times
I would have to agree that snobbery is probably over-hyped. I like to wear nice clothes, I own a very nice truck, I have very well made watch, and I also have annual income that can easily compete with, if not outdo, at least 60% of college graduates. And do you wanna know something? I'm a blue collar army veteran.

I listen to country music, shop at places like Target and Belk, I go apple picking and to NASCAR races, I watch football, and if you were to see me outside of my workplace in a place like Westchester all dressed nice and all, you would think that I was a snob too. You would being basing that assumption on my appearance, you would find that I am far from snobby if you took the time to get to know me.

My 4 years of college was the military, my study abroad program was a 9 month deployment in support of the NATO Peacekeeping Missions. I'm not writing this to brag, I'm writing this to prove a point.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:07 PM

7,066 posts, read 8,121,869 times
How about unintended snobbery? Sometimes there are very down to earth neighbors & yet some people just don't have anything in common.

Also if you have kids, its a huge factor. Some kids can be cruel. I am not saying kids should dress super high end but there is a minimum standard. I wouldn't let my kids dress very poorly or have some homemade salad bowl haircut.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:44 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,553 times
I for one am a terrible snob. I think that everyone who lives south of 287 is a vapid, tasteless, tacky, suburbanite. I avoid those people at all costs. North of 287 things are more mixed and it's harder to make broad generalizations. At least for me. When we were considering downsizing we saw some great houses for sale in Pound Ridge and South Salem but the wife refused to consider them since she didn't want our son growing up with "those people." What a snob. So, I'd say there are plenty of snobs like me around. But it's nothing compared to the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or