Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am considering a job offer in southern Westchester and need advice on the car commute. I live in Yorktown Heights right by the Taconic. The job is in Pelham. I've gone twice (Taconic/Sprain to Cross-County and then over) and its taken 25-30 minutes. But both times I left home just after 9:00. I assume if I'm leaving home at 8:00 it will be an additional 10-15 minutes of traffic, bringing the drive to 40-45 minutes. Does that sound right? And should I expect the same leaving Pelham at about 6:00 pm?

I hate highway driving and always take the "back roads" whenever possible. The Taconic is bearable, but the Cross-County is terrible and 287 is worse. I've been looking at the map to find a less highway-full way to get to Pelham, but can't see an obvious route. Any suggestions?

I currently take the train from Croton to my office in west midtown. The drive to the station is mellow and quite lovely, and the ride down the river is phenomenal. I am loathe to trade that for a stressful highway drive.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,661,942 times
dma, I live in Croton and used to take the train to midtown but now work in Greenwich, CT. I often take the Taconic to the Bronx River Parkway to 287 and I end up all the way over to exit 8 on 287--it's a timesaver. I guess you could do that and then go south--not sure. While the driving can be stressful, I've gotten used to it. It's also been less stressful not working in midtown every day so that could be a positive. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM

156 posts, read 304,982 times
Oy, that's a rough one. Your estimate looks pretty accurate. I live right off the Taconic in Yorktown Heights myself and have commuted for years to the South Bronx, and now Rye. I used to work in New Rochelle before that and the Cross County to the Hutch was always backed up----always.

I prefer going the longer way to get south (via 684 ) where it moves southbound far better than the Taconic, unless for some reason I'm leaving after the heart of the rush hour, in which case the Taconic is better. To get to Pelham without highway hopping as you know, would heavily add to your time and the schlep factor and it wouldn't be the bucolic kind of back roads that we have up here. I guess you'd be looking at 9A into Yonkers and schlepping across Bronxville and Mount Vernon.

Another huge point for you, albeit not a frequent issue, is the difference in weather conditions in Pelham, vs. Yorktown. I had and still have this situation often when working during a day when it was "lightly flurrying" at work, and already 4 inches was falling back home. Employers never really seem to "get that". I had an idiotic boss who lived in Rockland and felt if he could get to work the rest of us could. But 287 is basically a walk in the park compared to the horrors that await going north--- Then it doesn't become a traffic issue, it becomes a question of safety. There is that freezing zone just above the 287 mark on the Sprain that intensifies tenfold when you pass Pleasantville and you're driving 5 mph for and hour because now you're dealing with ice. Very best of luck in your decision. I know from reading your posts, your love of the train ride in and there is much to be said for train travel.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,374 times
SulfurDog and doghead, thanks for the tips and advice. It sounds like the Taconic or 684 are the best bets. Interesting tip that 684 is better in bad weather.

I'll have to give it serious thought (in addition to the other pros and cons of the job). I wouldn't mind a commute to someplace like Norwalk where I could take 35 over to 123, but there's no pleasant way to get to Pelham. On the plus side, I'd be able to justify replacing my 12-year-old "station car" with a new one. I've been wanting a Fiat or Cooper Mini for awhile.

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM

156 posts, read 304,982 times
Sorry for the confusion---I didn't mean to imply that 684 is better in bad weather. Just on normal heavy traffic days. They are both bad options with the added issue of winding 35. I actually love the drive to Norwalk via route 123. I'd rather drive twice as long on a beautiful road than 287 for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County