Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM

37 posts, read 98,639 times

Advertisements

Which (good) school districts actually provide bus service for most of the kids (i.e. not just special ed and those who are really far away)?

I find it shocking that despite the truly outrageous amount of property taxes that one pays in Westchester, most of the school districts we have considered apparently do not provide bus service. This is New York State, with cold winters and unsafe walking conditions in a lot of places. I grew up in upstate New York and everyone was bused, even those kids who lived across the street from the elementary school. Now you can live 2 miles away from a junior high or high school or even a mile or more from an elementary school and still be expected to walk or get a ride from a parent/caregiver. This seems like a huge burden for families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving42kids View Post
Which (good) school districts actually provide bus service for most of the kids (i.e. not just special ed and those who are really far away)?

I find it shocking that despite the truly outrageous amount of property taxes that one pays in Westchester, most of the school districts we have considered apparently do not provide bus service.
That's because in a lot of areas the help takes care of that. The house manager schedules the drivers' runs.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
That's because in a lot of areas the help takes care of that. The house manager schedules the drivers' runs.
Ha!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM

116 posts, read 373,235 times
I believe that Chappaqua and Katonah-Lewisboro bus their students. Pleasantville and Scarsdale do not. That's the extent of my knowledge on the topic! I don't have a house manager or driver but I don't mind not having busing...don't really want a young kid having to leave the house even earlier in the morning just to sit on the bus for ages...

Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
There are certainly tons of students in Scarsdale who take the bus. Now, what the rules are and whether or not it is private I don't know, but there are certainly buses and options in Scarsdale. Mamaroneck buses for kids a certain distance away. You are going to find that distance requirement for pretty much anywhere.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 PM

166 posts, read 369,930 times
I think Scarsdale has their own bus as well, at least seen a few with their name on it. Don't know if the SD owns them. Greenburgh 7 buses the kids, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County