Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 03:54 AM

361 posts, read 1,947,120 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is one of those broad "where should I live?" questions, but I really don't even know where to start. I plan to look for jobs in/around NYC (after graduation from grad school in May) and I could live anywhere, but have "narrowed it down" to New Jersey or New York north of the city. Here are some factors I am taking into account:

-I'm 40, single, female
-I would prefer an actual town vs. a bedroom community
-cost is an issue - think frugal
-1 BR decent, economical apartment (i.e. not a luxury building but not a dump either) to rent
-safety of the area is a concern
-needs to be on a commuter rail line
-I may have to move before I have a job, so I don't know where I'll be working
-need to be able to park my car at my apartment - no random on-street parking or parking far away

Part of my confusion is that I haven't lived in the suburbs of a major city since high school, so the whole commuting-by-rail thing is new to me. Will any money I save in rent by living further away be offset by the cost to commute? What if I move to a town with a train station and then find that no parking is available at the train station for years - are buses always available? Is it possible to find what I'm looking for within, say, 30 minutes commute of the city? And if not will I go beserk commuting for 2 hours every day? Okay, that one only I can answer...

In short, my goal with this thread is to get some opinions not only on possible places to live but also some advice on how to make this decision. Thanks everyone for any and all input!

Last edited by katreese; 12-15-2010 at 04:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 AM

58 posts, read 240,073 times
I would start with Pelham, Tuckahoe, or Eastchester (Crestwood Station). Pelham is the best, since you would be on the New Haven line (commute to CT and Manhattan), but also not far from the Harlem line (commute to White Plains or Manhattan/Bronx). N. Mount Vernon (Fleetwood station) is also an option, cheaper than Pelham, but not as nice.
I think Pelham best fits the needs and flexibility as you describe it.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:54 AM

361 posts, read 1,947,120 times
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County