U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

293 posts, read 730,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
Croton is beautiful, but feels too far away for us - it really is country, without a lot of good restaurants, music, etc. Chappaqua is definitely a consideration. Any opinion on the Wykagyl area of New Rochelle?
I'm confused - if Chappaqua is a consideration, then why are Pleasantville and Mt. Kisco not? I grew up in that area, so I would say all three are about equal in terms of being able to find a secluded 1 - 1.5 acre plot to call your home... But all are at least a 50-60 minute train ride to Grand Central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 PM

223 posts, read 681,807 times
a 1.3 million house with taxes of 23k is almost impossible. You may possbily find this in Armonk, everywhere else the taxes will be higher. But Pleasantville, Croton, Briarcliff, Chappaqua are all nice areas within a 45 min commute. All are also within a 10-15 min drive of ach other so you utilize other towns for dining, ect. Also a 15 drive to White plains.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:01 PM

425 posts, read 950,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfenimore View Post
a 1.3 million house with taxes of 23k is almost impossible. You may possbily find this in Armonk, everywhere else the taxes will be higher. But Pleasantville, Croton, Briarcliff, Chappaqua are all nice areas within a 45 min commute. All are also within a 10-15 min drive of ach other so you utilize other towns for dining, ect. Also a 15 drive to White plains.
Not accurate. You can find older 1.3 Million range homes in Chappaqua w/ taxes of about 25k. You can certainly find them in Bedford but then we are talking a long commute with no train.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,554,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlooringGirl View Post
Re: Chappaqua vs. Croton, it depends on priorities. Croton more country like and older homes. Chappaqua has a mix of homes. Much better restaurants - no contest - both in town and surrounding Mt Kisco, Pleasantville, Briarcliff. I find it very challenging to find good places to eat and get good internet (and cell phone connection) in Croton. Commute from Chappaqua is 50 minutes and express. I used to do that all the time and my dad did it for 40 yrs. Croton probably has prettier train ride along the Hudson....

Debbie Gartner, The Flooring Girl
I live equidistant to the two corridors and we frequent both. While I've never been to a restaurant in Chappaqua that I deemed worthy of returning to, Croton does have two that are in our regular rotation. But Mt Kisco is definitely the restaurant capital of upper Westchester and it's certainly closer to Chappaqua. But Kisco is a totally doable drive from Croton for a meal, and Croton is a quick trip to all of the restaurants in Peekskill and Tarrytown. Other than restaurants, we definitely head to the hudson corridor more often for music, events, and art. Peekskill and Tarrytown both provide much richer cultural offerings than the area around Chappaqua, though we certainly love Jacob Burns.

Croton has a much better array of local parks. And both towns have close access to lots of hiking and nature preserves. RE houses, both Croton and Chappaqua have a nice array of lovely older homes, as well as plenty of hideous new builds. RE commute, there's no question Croton is superior due to its shorter trip and amazing vistas. It's a great commute.

But it probably comes down to vibe, which is personal. I much prefer the laid back arty vibe of western upper Westchester to the more uptight New Englandy vibe of the eastern regions, but that's a question of taste and temperament.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County