Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM

269 posts, read 480,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
In the 1950s, most women wanted to work.
Today, most women want to stay home with the baby.
Today, women who work are generally those with husbands who are low earners.
Not even close to reality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
The commute on NJ transit has been slower and more aggravating since Sandy because Hoboken got so messed up, but you can still get downtown without getting on a subway and IMO that will always put it above anywhere in Westchester. Ridgewood has express trains the only issue now is having to switch in Seacaucus instead of taking the Path at Hoboken, but hopefully that will get resolved at some point.
Most of my co-workers who drive and park close to NJ rail park in Liberty State as the rates are cheaper compared with Exchange Place, Grove or even Newark Penn. But from there they need to take a light rail to the PATH so its a 2-step ride. Also the drive from Livingston, South Orange, etc. is not that enticing due to morning traffic. Agree that you could probably do it faster than southern Weschester as commuters from there get held up by the 4, 5 and 6 but still the difference somewhat diminishes and is also offset by the stress of driving in congested NJ highways.

What would probably be most efficient is to rent an apartment in Newport or Grove (and walk to the PATH) as many Goldman employees do but I don't think OP wants to live in a building.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 PM

118 posts, read 258,547 times
What about Montclair or Glen Ridge or Westfield (all in NJ)?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times
Where are these women that actually WANT to have a career AFTER kids?
Every man I know in 914, his wife quit working on him after the kid, leaving him holding the sole breadwinner bag.
These men are resentful, and feel like they've been bait and switched

Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 AM

15 posts, read 30,240 times
Quote:
Every man I know in 914, his wife quit working on him after the kid, leaving him holding the sole breadwinner bag.
You must not know too many women. Or men. Most I know are dual-income families, including my own. We're still in the city though, perhaps it's less common in the 'burbs.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Really?? You do need to get out more.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:11 PM

491 posts, read 471,922 times
Quote:
It depends on the community in Westchester or LI.

In some cases, you're correct. Not all though. The really wealthy suburbs are obviously that- the yoga pants mom and the stroller reenacting high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County