Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 AM

51 posts, read 49,836 times

Advertisements

I lived in Smithtown and tried to take the train out Kings Park what a nightmare, the ride on the train is at least 1 hour 20 minutes and the wait times at night for a train can be are at least 1 hour. You would have to drive to the Huntington train station and pay for parking and I believe Northport station is is zone 9 which means the LIRR would cost more than $300 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 AM

395 posts, read 1,618,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What, the odds are in favor that the wife will be the one who chooses to stay home. Perhaps the OP would do better to look at NJ, Bergan County with rail lines and bus lines both could be commuting easier.
NJ is a better commute for both financial district and Jersey City and will be much more doable than Westchester or LI if both parents continue working (horrors! ).

Last edited by cali_to_nj; 09-30-2013 at 09:53 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think you have it backwards, the OP stated "I work in the financial district 5 days a week and my wife has to go into Jersey City 3 times a week". Based on the post it appears he has the full time postion and she does something in Jersey City 3 times a week. There is no mention of a professorship in his post....

I personally had no issue with my wife being the bread winner, she opted not to and stayed home with the kids....
Ha! I confused this with another post. Oops.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
I don't think Northport is anything special. Good friends in Cold Spring Harbor and LLoyd Harbor. Those areas are on par with Chappaqua and Bedford. Nicer in some respects, if you like the water -- akin to Old Greenwich/Riverside and Rye. I don't know Northport well but would equate it more with Thorwood etc..
Eh. I like the feel of Northport, it's a bit special. Cold Spring Harbor and Lloyd Harbor are definitely wealthier, I won't call them more special. I'd probably rather live in Northport than either of those two.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
NJ is a better commute for both financial district and Jersey City and will be much more doable than Westchester or LI if both parents continue working (horrors! ).
It depends from which parts of NJ. It looks near by looking at the map but this is not always the reality. Majority of the married people in our floor at WTC live in the obvious NJ neighborhoods like Livingston, South Orange, New Providence, Madison, Westfield and Cranford and by their account, commute to WTC can exceed an hour because of slow NJT trains, parking, highway traffic, etc. This is especially the case with Ridgewood and Westfield which are the more walkable among the towns.

It doesn't look like it gets much better than from North Shore Long Island or Bayside in Queens where commute time to Financial Disctrict is less than an hour, or from southern Westchester where you can get there in close to an hour (or slightly more).

Old 09-30-2013, 07:13 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. I like the feel of Northport, it's a bit special. Cold Spring Harbor and Lloyd Harbor are definitely wealthier, I won't call them more special. I'd probably rather live in Northport than either of those two.
That could be. My buddy's wife is originally from Northport and now they have lots of money so maybe its a snob factor since they live in Lloyd Harbor in a mansion. Northport being more blue collar...

Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times
In the 1950s, most women wanted to work.
Today, most women want to stay home with the baby.
Today, women who work are generally those with husbands who are low earners.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
In the 1950s, most women wanted to work.
Today, most women want to stay home with the baby.
Today, women who work are generally those with husbands who are low earners.
Way to show us your true colors. Generalize much?

Seriously OP, if you need to get downtown and your wife needs to go to Jersey City why don't you just look in NJ? Your commute is going to be long from Chappaqua and worse from Bedford. Northport ain't no picnic either, but I think LIRR into Penn is your best option if you want to be in NY and not NJ.

You haven't said how long of a commute you will tolerate. ???

Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,990 times
As I posted above, commute from NJ to downtown won't be that much faster in actuality vs. parts of Westchester or Long Island unless you live in Union City, Jersey City, East Orange or Elizabeth. These places are probably not where the OP would envision living.

Although Westchester might be of a stretch because of the #4, 5, 6 subways not really because of the Metro North. From the north Shore of Long Island, it's fast to downtown.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:20 AM

395 posts, read 1,618,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
It depends from which parts of NJ. It looks near by looking at the map but this is not always the reality. Majority of the married people in our floor at WTC live in the obvious NJ neighborhoods like Livingston, South Orange, New Providence, Madison, Westfield and Cranford and by their account, commute to WTC can exceed an hour because of slow NJT trains, parking, highway traffic, etc. This is especially the case with Ridgewood and Westfield which are the more walkable among the towns.

It doesn't look like it gets much better than from North Shore Long Island or Bayside in Queens where commute time to Financial Disctrict is less than an hour, or from southern Westchester where you can get there in close to an hour (or slightly more).
The commute on NJ transit has been slower and more aggravating since Sandy because Hoboken got so messed up, but you can still get downtown without getting on a subway and IMO that will always put it above anywhere in Westchester. Ridgewood has express trains the only issue now is having to switch in Seacaucus instead of taking the Path at Hoboken, but hopefully that will get resolved at some point.

Re: working moms, not sure where 914 guy lives but in Chappaqua there is a large number of "power couple" types with 2 lawyers or 2 doctors, etc. in the same household. Nowadays with telecommuting and job sharing it's much easier for women to return to work or continue working in some capacity. There are so many options it's really downright silly to make a life decision based on the archaic notion that no self respecting woman would continue working if her husband has a decent job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County