Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 AM

232 posts, read 495,287 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are currently looking for a home in the burbs. We currently live in an apartment in TriBeCa and don't want to live here any longer after the wedding. We are comparing Westchester against Long Island, and specifically Chappaqua or Bedford Hills area against the Northport area of Long Island. We're obviously looking for good schools and a safe community. I come from a small town and my wife from a DC suburb so I'm wondering which town would feel more small town.

Commute is also an issue. I work in the financial district 5 days a week and my wife has to go into Jersey City 3 times a week. I like the LIRRs round the clock schedule but I love Grand Central. I could tolerate Penn though.

That being said, which town is better? Or do they essentially offer the same thing in different parts of the region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,564,066 times
First thing you want to do is check both commutes. It's an hour and change to Wall St area from Chappaqua. 40+ minutes on the train, then the 4-5 2-3 stops. Jersey City is drivable from Westchester but it is a haul. Don't know about LI to JC. I do not think there is a viable way of taking the train there from either place.

To me, LI is more heavily populated but you are nearer to beaches.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:15 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,831,114 times
If you're contemplating Long Island, why Northport of all alternatives? It is a burdensome commute from there by LIRR albeit a nice community with a school that has an IB program.

For commute + schools, I would recommend somewhere along the Port Washington LIRR line like Port Washington or Great Neck (South, preferably), Lake Success (zoned for Great Neck South). Manhasset would be good but it is expensive. From these places, commute to Penn Station is around 25 to 35 minutes, then a 15-min ride by the 2/3 express subway to Park Place or Fulton. All-in-all, you will be in Financial District in less than 1 hour.

Going to Jersey City, all she would have to do is switch to the PATH at Park Place and there she can get off at Exchange Place, Grove or Journal Square.

Whatever it is, do not go to Northport if you don't want an unreasonable commute.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,306,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Going to Jersey City, all she would have to do is switch to the PATH at Park Place and there she can get off at Exchange Place, Grove or Journal Square.
She could get on the PATH at 33rd street, a short walk from Penn Station rather having to do subway -> PATH.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 AM

581 posts, read 1,299,767 times
Do not base your house purchase on your wife's commute.
Once you have kids, she will not be working anymore.
So, pick a house based on YOUR job.
3 years from now, she's be retired

Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,306,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Do not base your house purchase on your wife's commute.
Once you have kids, she will not be working anymore.
So, pick a house based on YOUR job.
3 years from now, she's be retired
Seriously? This is 2013.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM

19,131 posts, read 16,964,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seriously? This is 2013.
What, the odds are in favor that the wife will be the one who chooses to stay home. Perhaps the OP would do better to look at NJ, Bergan County with rail lines and bus lines both could be commuting easier.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:31 PM

866 posts, read 2,476,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What, the odds are in favor that the wife will be the one who chooses to stay home. Perhaps the OP would do better to look at NJ, Bergan County with rail lines and bus lines both could be commuting easier.
Seriously? The wife is working full time and the husband is working part time and is looking for a professorship. I'm guessing it's the wife bringing in the dough. I know some men find that scary though.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM

19,131 posts, read 16,964,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Seriously? The wife is working full time and the husband is working part time and is looking for a professorship. I'm guessing it's the wife bringing in the dough. I know some men find that scary though.
I think you have it backwards, the OP stated "I work in the financial district 5 days a week and my wife has to go into Jersey City 3 times a week". Based on the post it appears he has the full time postion and she does something in Jersey City 3 times a week. There is no mention of a professorship in his post....

I personally had no issue with my wife being the bread winner, she opted not to and stayed home with the kids....

Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,209,706 times
I don't think Northport is anything special. Good friends in Cold Spring Harbor and LLoyd Harbor. Those areas are on par with Chappaqua and Bedford. Nicer in some respects, if you like the water -- akin to Old Greenwich/Riverside and Rye. I don't know Northport well but would equate it more with Thorwood etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County