U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:37 PM

425 posts, read 952,324 times

Advertisements

Certain primary schools in Greenwich are good and some are ghetto. Greenwich HS does not compare to the good schools in Westhchester. We decided against Greenwich, in part, because of the Schools...Most folks i know in Greenwich use the tax savings to send their kids to private schools. Its a trade off. And maybe property taxes were 6-8k when you bought your house but they are not anymore..at least the homes we looked at in northern greenwich - more like 12-15+.

Every house we saw in Greenwich in the 1.5M range needed updating or was in a bad location/cramed into a small lot or a short sale. You are not getting anything nice in Greenwich for south of 1M. Maybe 2,000 square feet in the Bryam section...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 08:53 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,140,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Forget Westchester and try Greenwich CT. The houses are more expensive, but the property taxes are much lower. The schools are better than most in Westchester and the beaches are wonderful. Westchester has a nasty, competitive edge you won't find in Greenwich and your kids will have a better quality of life.

They are all sound beaches. Ct beaches may be better than Westchester beaches, but really, they don't count as wonderful. Over-stated. For that you'll have to take the ferry from CT to LI and go to the Atlantic beaches on the south shore or Fire island.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM

12,264 posts, read 9,424,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
They are all sound beaches. Ct beaches may be better than Westchester beaches, but really, they don't count as wonderful. Over-stated. For that you'll have to take the ferry from CT to LI and go to the Atlantic beaches on the south shore or Fire island.
Overstated? Guess you've never been to Greenwich Point for the day or taken the ferry to Great Captain Island. Their beaches are far superior to anything along the Westchester shoreline.

Honestly, I don't know why people fight so much to defend Westchester. It's okay. It's close to the city. Some towns are nicer than others. But homes are expensive and property taxes ridiculous. On top of that you get to pay NY state taxes and even Westchester County taxes.

If any family with children is considering a move to lower Westchester and looking for homes in a certain price range, they really should look at the Greenwich area. You get much more for your money along with a nicer life style.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,140,616 times
Quote:
Overstated? Guess you've never been to Greenwich Point for the day or taken the ferry to Great Captain Island. Their beaches are far superior to anything along the Westchester shoreline.

Honestly, I don't know why people fight so much to defend Westchester. It's okay. It's close to the city. Some towns are nicer than others. But homes are expensive and property taxes ridiculous. On top of that you get to pay NY state taxes and even Westchester County taxes.

If any family with children is considering a move to lower Westchester and looking for homes in a certain price range, they really should look at the Greenwich area. You get much more for your money along with a nicer life style.

I agreed they could be seen as better than Westchester's, but not "wonderfu"l by a long shot. Nice coastline perhaps, but not wonderful beaches.
I think you've got a bee in your bonnet!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:24 PM

815 posts, read 1,984,270 times
Quote:
Lived there, live here now, have family and friends in Greenwich. Is it a little snotty, you betcha, but nothing worse that Scarsdale or Larchmont, and without the nasty Westchester attitude. And who are you kidding about the segregated nature of the schools? Why do you think HUD went after Westchester County? Nothing segregates a school faster than high property taxes, and the dirty little secret in Westchester County is that a lot of people like it like that
And the parents in CT don't like it? That's why they are challenging the state law requiring the make-up of schools be reflective of the racial make-up of the district. My husband grew up there, his family is there, as are several family friends, so I am well aware of the issues. None of our friends want to send their kids to the high school because it has gone downhill.

I disagree with the "you get more for your money" comment too - if you can afford to spend 30-50% more for an equal house, then sure, you will pay less in tax. But some people can't make that trade-off up front.

As for beaches, yeah, I've spent plenty of time at Greenwich Point and it's fine. Very nice sure. And don't get me wrong, I think Old Greenwich and Riverside are beautiful neighborhoods (this is where we spend most of our time). But the snotty factor is higher than anything I've experienced in Mamaroneck and even Scarsdale. Take a walk down Greenwich Ave, drive through the back country, or count the Ferrari's you see out on a weekend. People here are WEALTHY and they want the world to know it. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or