U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
 
42 posts, read 95,096 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I wrote a similar post on the NJ forum and wanted to get feedback on this board as well.

Need some advice. I currently live on Long Island and looking to move the family. I grew up on Long Island and am just tired of it. I live on the North Shore of LI and while i can afford the area, I am just turned off by the scene and the competitiveness.

I am considering all areas including NJ, Ct, and Westchester. I'm looking for a town, no more than a hour outside the city. I work from home but do need to be in the city between 5-6 times a month. My family is Jewish, and unlike most, I am NOT looking for an area that is predominately Jewish. I currently live in a town that is, and I don't like it. I would like there to be some Jewish families, but it should not dominate (we are not overly religious), like people seem to say about Scarsdale. My budget is 1.1-1.5M. I'm looking for a nice downtown/family activities, good schools (not a pressure cooker or the #1 school in the state) and a somewhat down to earth/laid back feeling. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 AM
 
223 posts, read 684,428 times
Reputation: 57
some towns in Westchester which may be a good fit are Croton, Pleasantville or Briarcliff. I live in Briarcliff myself and your description is close to what its like in our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2013, 07:31 AM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,168,803 times
Reputation: 15093
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp00 View Post
I wrote a similar post on the NJ forum and wanted to get feedback on this board as well.

Need some advice. I currently live on Long Island and looking to move the family. I grew up on Long Island and am just tired of it. I live on the North Shore of LI and while i can afford the area, I am just turned off by the scene and the competitiveness.

I am considering all areas including NJ, Ct, and Westchester. I'm looking for a town, no more than a hour outside the city. I work from home but do need to be in the city between 5-6 times a month. My family is Jewish, and unlike most, I am NOT looking for an area that is predominately Jewish. I currently live in a town that is, and I don't like it. I would like there to be some Jewish families, but it should not dominate (we are not overly religious), like people seem to say about Scarsdale. My budget is 1.1-1.5M. I'm looking for a nice downtown/family activities, good schools (not a pressure cooker or the #1 school in the state) and a somewhat down to earth/laid back feeling. Any suggestions?


Larchmont

However, there is still some sort of keeping up with the Joneses. And there is a certain atmosphere. But it does have the advantage, for you, of being "not LI."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2013, 05:43 AM
 
792 posts, read 2,046,921 times
Reputation: 501
I second Mfenimore. And, definitely over NJ. I've lived there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,037 times
Reputation: 14
I would definitely suggest the rivertowns for you: Hastings on Hudson, Irvington and Tarrytown. I grew up in NJ, my husband in LI and we are moving to Tarrytown from Manhattan this December with our 2 year old. It's an incredible place with a diverse population (and a temple and JCC). It's only 35 minutes on the train to the city. The Tarrytown schools don't get rated as highly as Hastings/Irvington only because there are more immigrants/ESL students -but still a good education and more and more people are moving there from NYC/Brooklyn. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 PM
 
42 posts, read 95,096 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlooringGirl View Post
I agree with all 4 locations above. I would also add Mamaroneck and Rye Brook. (RyeBrook might be a bit further from trains station, though - not sure).

I grew up in Chappaqua where it's more competitive, and can relate to being reformed. In my current career, I work w/ people all over the county, and I seem to have a lot of nice and down to earth customers in Briarcliff, Pleasantville, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Rye Brook and Croton and all are commutable to the city. Croton is a bit further out/more rural (so you may need to travel a town or two over for better restaurants/shopping). Larchmont has smaller property/closer together. I find my customers in Larchmont are much friendlier than most in Scarsdale, even though the architecture of homes is often similar.

You can definitely find homes in that price range in all of those towns (and some you can get a very nice home in 800-$1MM range.
Thanks for the information. I know Harrison doesn't have downtown, but interested in the vibe of the town (down to earth, or no community feel as I've read).

Also in regards to Mamaroneck, is there a downtown and are there any bad areas to avoid? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Armonk NY
425 posts, read 955,430 times
Reputation: 110
Consider Katonah. Has a very nice village and about an hour into NYC if you are close to 684. I am about 10 miles south and make in into midtown most days in 40 mins with traffic when i drive. You get much more for your money than in congested southern westchester towns. Also more bang for your buck than in Chappaqua and Briarcliff Manor as well. 1.5M gets you a very nice home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Armonk NY
425 posts, read 955,430 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp00 View Post
Thanks for the information. I know Harrison doesn't have downtown, but interested in the vibe of the town (down to earth, or no community feel as I've read).

Also in regards to Mamaroneck, is there a downtown and are there any bad areas to avoid? Thanks
Overall Mamaroneck is great. The "Flats" is an area that is not great. There is a large hardworking Hispanic population as in many areas, such as Mount Kisco. I think it adds a little to the town if you ask me and crime is not really an issue.

Harrison is a huge town which covers a large swath of Westchester. The downtown is nothing special (it seems to be very old Italian) but the surrounding areas are gorgeous and Purchase (very affluent) is also part of the town of Harrison. Hear mixed things about the schools, especially the HS. There is also West Harrison, which is very Italian but the downtown is a little more blue collar. Close to White Plains.

I would probably opt for Mamaroneck over Harrison but would take RYE over either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
 
42 posts, read 95,096 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Overall Mamaroneck is great. The "Flats" is an area that is not great. There is a large hardworking Hispanic population as in many areas, such as Mount Kisco. I think it adds a little to the town if you ask me and crime is not really an issue.

Harrison is a huge town which covers a large swath of Westchester. The downtown is nothing special (it seems to be very old Italian) but the surrounding areas are gorgeous and Purchase (very affluent) is also part of the town of Harrison. Hear mixed things about the schools, especially the HS. There is also West Harrison, which is very Italian but the downtown is a little more blue collar. Close to White Plains.

I would probably opt for Mamaroneck over Harrison but would take RYE over either.
Thanks for the reply. My concern with Rye is that it may be what I am trying to escape here on the North Shore of LI. I know Rye is beautiful, but what about the competitiveness and a bit of attitude. If I'm wrong please let me know as I would def consider it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 AM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,168,803 times
Reputation: 15093
I love Rye. However, its a bit stiff. Strait-laced etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top