U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,219,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy93 View Post
I asked that when I last wrote the DOT, but they skirted around the question. Thing is, I imagine the DOT has the Interstate requirement because Interstates can accommodate higher travel speeds... yet the design specs I linked to in my first post clearly says the design speed is 65.

I know design speed is the maximum speed a commercial vehicle could safely travel, but the TSP is restricted to cars, which can travel faster.
The interstates were originally designed to be able to accomodate all sorts of cold war attack scenarios - straight sections that doubled as landing strips, overpass heights to allow military vehicles transporting tanks, grade/lane requirements, etc etc. NYDOT probably doesn't want to get into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 335 times
I completely disagree. I think the speed limit should be lowered to 50 in Putnam County where the road is narrow, winding and dangerous with little or no shoulders, maintained at 55 elsewhere, and STRICTLY ENFORCED.

This road was meant to be be enjoyed. It is a parkway, NOT a highway. If you want to go 65 go on the NYS Thruway. There are many accidents on the Taconic already and it would be dangerous to raise the speed limit.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:43 AM

4,762 posts, read 551,119 times
I'm all for it, but there's only one reason why it won't happen: less revenue for NYS. Think of how many more drivers are able to be pulled over for speeding in 55-mph zone than in a 65-mph zone.

The true objective of traffic tickets is revenue collection, not safety. If NYS were genuinely concerned about the safety of other motorists, violations would only result in points against one's license, not fines. However, in many jurisdictions, judges will allow offenders to "plead down" to a zero-point violation in exchange for payment of the fine in full. Governor Andrew Cuomo has passed some of the strictest traffic laws in NYS history, assessing surcharges equal to the amount charged by the jurisdiction in which the offense is committed (in other words, what was a $100.00 fine before Cuomo is now a $200.00 fine, since NYS must match the amount collected by the municipality).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County