U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,555,553 times

Advertisements

^^ I don't think I've neglected to mention any secret helpers or robots or other relevant details that impact our ability to get our chores done.

I think it's really a question of lifestyle, choices, and personal priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,499,348 times
/\/\

Of course it's about choices. Where did I say it wasn't? Been to Chap. There's no farmer's market within 10 minutes drive that sells a full array of dry and wet goods and toiletries all under one roof while giving me rebates on my membership card, and no GAP, Target and Stride Rite within 5-10 minutes from such a place. Mrs. Green's does not measure up and BJs is mediocre. Having such amenities at my convenience is important to me, but maybe not to you. Where I live I get to enjoy all these to a certain extent so why would I give it up to enjoy "hiking, biking and other fun stuff"?

Old 11-10-2013, 08:23 PM

"Of course it's about choices. Where did I say it wasn't?"

Where did I imply that you had said it wasn't about choices? Not every statement is an argument, man. Perhaps a relaxing hike in the woods would be a good idea?

I've never been to a BJs, or a Costco for that matter, so can't comment on that.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Been to Mianus. A hike in the woods offers nothing of value to me as there are places like Equinox where I can get relaxation and exercise more frequently. The short answer is COSTCO is something I won't give up for the joys of living near biking trails and there are many rational people who think the same way. If you prefer to drive from one local store to another to be near nature then that's your life to live.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Sadly, it looks like I'll soon have a Costco less than 10 minutes from me (and mere minutes from great hiking and biking trails). But I still won't go there. As we agree, it's all about choices.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 AM

Don't be sad. There's nothing else that will be coming along with it. And the touted opening has been pushed out several times already. Yorktown will remain exactly as you want it for years to come - hiking, biking, and stopping 3 times for something that can get done in one stop elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 AM

Oh, you really should try something more relaxing than Equinox!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:49 AM

I find golf and squash to be more relaxing than Equinox. But hiking or biking in wooded trails? Nope.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 AM

37 posts, read 86,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I find golf and squash to be more relaxing than Equinox. But hiking or biking in wooded trails? Nope.
I love a nice stroll in the city (ny or elsewhere) and an occasional run in Central Park. Too much nature is not for me either.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM

815 posts, read 1,981,150 times
I think you should give Harrison and Mamaroneck another look. (disclosure - we live in Orienta) I find this area incredibly convenient. There is everything I usually need within 10 minutes of my house (most on the Post Rd even) - groceries, coffee shops, drug stores, dry cleaners, car wash, gyms, not to mention tons of restaurants in the area. Mamaroneck Ave is great for having stores that you actually need to shop in (unlike some town centers, e.g. Scarsdale, which have a bunch of high end jewelry and clothing stores and one place to eat). If you want a Costco or other "big box" stores or a mall you have a 15ish minute drive to WP or Port Chester or New Rochelle. I don't know about you but we hit Costco about once a month. We have several good friends in Harrison with kids at Harrison Ave school and they love the area and the school. We all drive to places in Mam'k, Harrison, and Rye (e.g. Rye Y) on a regular basis and that is certainly no big deal.

You will get more house and land for your money in Harrison due to the commercial base in Purchase, which is part of Harrison. And your budget should certainly get you something decent in the area. I know there isn't much on the market in Orienta right now, but there are a few good looking options in Harrison currently. I understand not liking northern Westchester - I think it is way too rural! But we are quite happy in Mam'k. My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County