U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 30,411 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am moving from California to Mount Vernon, NY in a couple days to do hospital rotations there since I am a medical student.

Can someone give me suggestions on safe/nice places to live that are within a 10-15 miles radius of Mount Vernon?

Is Mount Vernon a safe city to live in itself?

Preferably looking for a place that is near a shopping mall or lots of fast food or something since I am always on-the-go for food and conveniences.

Thanks so much for your help!

You can e-mail me also at ohhitsamit@aol.com.

Thanks again and take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 03:49 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,201,481 times
How long will you be in Mount Vernon? A full year or just a couple of months? I'm guessing that you will be renting.

Mount Vernon is a weird town. The southern part of Mount Vernon by Wakefield section fo the Bronx can be pretty ghetto (thugs, drug dealers, prostitutes). The northern part of Mount Vernon by Bronxville along Grandmattan ave seems very leafy and residential.

A 10-15 mile radius is huge in terms of Westchester. I think you need to narrow down your search a bit.

Are you originally from the NYC area? Westchester is suburban, but its a little bit different from most suburbs. Commuting in Westchester, especially during rush hour can be tedious.

For fast food I suggest you get accustomed to pizza & take-out chinese food. These places are usually are open the longest.

The nicest mall in Westchester is "The Westchester" in White Plains, but they charge at least $3 to park in the garage. There is another mall in White Plains, the Galleria, but this isn't as upscale as the westchester. Cross County Mall is the big one near Mount Vernon, and I shop there, but its pretty shabby and in need of some rehabbing.

What type of budget are looking at? Don't most starting doctors only make 40-50k coming out of school? Westchester county is expensive. Apartments in White Plains for example can go around $1,500 a month for a 1br. New Rochelle is a little bit cheaper, but not as nice. These towns are more urban though. Most of the suburbs in Westchester are very expensive.

Eastern Yonkers is pretty nice. Its mostly suburban and safe. The rents are much more affordable in Yonkers than in most other places in Westchester. If you do look into Yonkers just remember to stay east of the Saw Mill Parkway. If you do move into one of the cheaper neighborhoods in Westchester you're probably going to be in for a good deal of culture shock, because its going to be very different from what you're accustomed to in Cali.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 30,411 times
Thanks for your reply.

Money is not hopefully a big issue, willing to rent a 3 bedroom up to 1 year for a max of $4000 per month, preferably a tower. I have never been to NY before. I don't really care which city or town as long as its safe and within decent distance to Mount Vernon. And as long as the mall has all the big stores (i.e. Abercrombie, Theater, Food Court, etc) and its safe then thats what im looking for. Thank you very much for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
How long will you be in Mount Vernon? A full year or just a couple of months? I'm guessing that you will be renting.

Mount Vernon is a weird town. The southern part of Mount Vernon by Wakefield section fo the Bronx can be pretty ghetto (thugs, drug dealers, prostitutes). The northern part of Mount Vernon by Bronxville along Grandmattan ave seems very leafy and residential.

A 10-15 mile radius is huge in terms of Westchester. I think you need to narrow down your search a bit.

Are you originally from the NYC area? Westchester is suburban, but its a little bit different from most suburbs. Commuting in Westchester, especially during rush hour can be tedious.

For fast food I suggest you get accustomed to pizza & take-out chinese food. These places are usually are open the longest.

The nicest mall in Westchester is "The Westchester" in White Plains, but they charge at least $3 to park in the garage. There is another mall in White Plains, the Galleria, but this isn't as upscale as the westchester. Cross County Mall is the big one near Mount Vernon, and I shop there, but its pretty shabby and in need of some rehabbing.

What type of budget are looking at? Don't most starting doctors only make 40-50k coming out of school? Westchester county is expensive. Apartments in White Plains for example can go around $1,500 a month for a 1br. New Rochelle is a little bit cheaper, but not as nice. These towns are more urban though. Most of the suburbs in Westchester are very expensive.

Eastern Yonkers is pretty nice. Its mostly suburban and safe. The rents are much more affordable in Yonkers than in most other places in Westchester. If you do look into Yonkers just remember to stay east of the Saw Mill Parkway. If you do move into one of the cheaper neighborhoods in Westchester you're probably going to be in for a good deal of culture shock, because its going to be very different from what you're accustomed to in Cali.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 PM

Do you need the 3br? There are some luxury rental buildings you should probably check out in Westchester. A 1br will set you back around $2,000. I dont' know what 2 & 3 brs are going for, but $4,000 is a lot of money to work with. White Plains is pretty nice, but the commute down the Sprain Brook might be too much for you in the morning. There is a bottleneck going south on the Sprain Brook right north of Mount Vernon every morning, so that will surely effect you..

With White Plains itself there are lots of options in town. Both regular apartment buildings and newer luxury buildings. There's the One City place building, Trump Towner (condos I think), new Ritz Carlton buildings which will be done in a couple of weeks, and and an assorted number of other buildings.

New Rochelle is another option you might want to consider. There is a lot of development going up there as well (Avalon, Trump Tower, etc). The shopping options aren't as good as in White Plains, but there is still plenty to do in New Rochelle.

If you are looking for something a little bit more suburban you might want to check out Pelham as that is really close to Mount Vernon and yet still pretty nice.

Westchester on the whole is a pretty nice area. Its all just a matter of whether you want to live in a more suburban or a more urban area.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:58 PM

10 posts, read 90,508 times
mt vernon is i very dangerous crime riddent city i suggst that you live in either pelham or new rochelle and commute to mt vernon u can find an apartment there but yoou will probably be sleeping with a knife or a bat

Old 12-17-2007, 04:39 AM

413 posts, read 918,417 times
Check out Marbury Corners, in Pelham.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
You might also want to touch base with Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx - they've got fourth year students also doing rotations, and they might be willing to swap or sublet to you.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:54 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,514 times
Palisades Center is a mall we often go to and we're only about 10 minutes from Mt. Vernon. It's across the Hudson in Nyack, NY. It's freakin huge, a skating rink, ferris wheel, roller coaster, etc. are in it. But ever since the Rainforest Cafe left, it really changed it for us. I rememeber it still, only closed maybe 6 years ago. So I was only about 10 or 11 then. Awesome place. They have a lot.

Mt. Vernon is safe. Nothing really to worry about there. You could live in the Bronx... It borders Mt. Vernon and the North Bronx is very safe... White Plains or New Rochelle. Both have downtowns with actual towers, but nothing huge like NYC so don't get too excited. More green space, though.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 90,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Palisades Center is a mall we often go to and we're only about 10 minutes from Mt. Vernon. It's across the Hudson in Nyack, NY. It's freakin huge, a skating rink, ferris wheel, roller coaster, etc. are in it. But ever since the Rainforest Cafe left, it really changed it for us. I rememeber it still, only closed maybe 6 years ago. So I was only about 10 or 11 then. Awesome place. They have a lot.

Mt. Vernon is safe. Nothing really to worry about there. You could live in the Bronx... It borders Mt. Vernon and the North Bronx is very safe... White Plains or New Rochelle. Both have downtowns with actual towers, but nothing huge like NYC so don't get too excited. More green space, though.

r u crazy?????? mt vernon is the most dangerous neighborhood in westchester. my whole family is from gthere and i spend alot of time. just watch news 12 and see where all the crime happens mt vernon streets are crazy and s*** happens every day. i cant take your opinion seriously taken that your from scarsdale

Old 12-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Yeah but thats South Mt. Vernon. If you stick to North Mount Vernon then it is actually pretty nice. I like the northern part of Granmattan ave by Fleetwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County