U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 36,889 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data-ers!

I've searched and googled and can't find specific help with questions I have, so thought I'd finally turn to you guys for expert help. And before I get the typical response to this sort of question, I'm quite aware that it is 2013 and I should be able to just live where I want. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.

I've experienced much homophobia and discomfort in my life, whether or not I've rubbed my "lifestyle" in "people's faces", so it's very important to me to live somewhere in Westchester County where I will have the least chance to run into that sort of situation.

Okay, here are the specifics I hope you all can help with:

My partner and I are in our early 30s, with young children about to enter into kindergarten. We now live in the outrageously accepting Seattle area, but are relocating to the East Coast because of a new job for my partner in the FiDi. I'm excited to return to the area after spending most of my young adult life living in NYC. Though I've visited gay friends in the Westchester area many times, it's been years and I'm unaware of how the culture changes from town to town.

-We're hoping to be under an hour on the train to Penn Station (preferably closer)
-We'd like somewhere with relatively low crime
-Hoping to hit around the 400k mark with a home
-Good schools, or ability to drive a student to a nearby school district for such
-Has to be a low chance of running into homophobic hostility

That's all. I look forward to friendly suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM

552 posts, read 797,722 times
I live in Ossining and know a couple who've lived here for years with no problems.

There's really no direct train into Penn unless you're looking to take Amtrak (45-50 minutes from Croton, 5-10 minute drive away, but more expensive), as Metro North goes into Grand Central, requiring a walk or subway transfer. Yonkers is the other Westchester Amtrak stop and closer in - not sure of the crime/school stats there.

My husband and I bought a house over the summer for nearly $280k in the Village (approx. 2,000 SF, four bedroom), which is within walking distance to Ossining train station and the business district. We came across a lot of other houses within your budget during the search. People seem to be happy with the schools here, but I don't have kids and don't have personal experience with them. Crime is low.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
I live in Ossining and know a couple who've lived here for years with no problems.

There's really no direct train into Penn unless you're looking to take Amtrak (45-50 minutes from Croton, 5-10 minute drive away, but more expensive), as Metro North goes into Grand Central, requiring a walk or subway transfer. Yonkers is the other Westchester Amtrak stop and closer in - not sure of the crime/school stats there.

My husband and I bought a house over the summer for nearly $280k in the Village (approx. 2,000 SF, four bedroom), which is within walking distance to Ossining train station and the business district. We came across a lot of other houses within your budget during the search. People seem to be happy with the schools here, but I don't have kids and don't have personal experience with them. Crime is low.
Fantastic advice, thank you! And my mistake, I mean to Grand Central, not Penn Station. We're also looking on LI, and that remnant remained in my post. We'd prefer Westchester Cty to LI, however.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:08 PM

552 posts, read 797,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitywiz View Post
Fantastic advice, thank you! And my mistake, I mean to Grand Central, not Penn Station. We're also looking on LI, and that remnant remained in my post. We'd prefer Westchester Cty to LI, however.
In that case, GCT is 40-60 minutes from Ossining, depending on if you get an express or local. PM me if you want more details!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 PM

64 posts, read 167,859 times
I second Ossining. Our mayor is gay and married his partner recently. We bought our first home here from a lesbian couple and they told us they never felt and discrimination. I have a child in elementary school and we have been very happy here. Its a very economically and racially diverse community so the schools don't have the same super high test scores as other Westchester districts, but I can assure you the schools and teachers are preparing our kids very well. Your budget will get you a great home here and the commute is very reasonable. FYI - there are parts of the town that fall in the village of Briarcliff Manor but are still Ossining schools. The home prices will reflect that (briarcliff is out of your budget), but you'll have access to Briarcliff rec and they have a great town pool for summer time and great summer camps for the kids, too. That said, the perks aren't so great to focus your search only there! Ossining has great rec opportunities, too. I'm also happy to answer more questions here or in pm.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM

9 posts, read 27,710 times
I'll Third it, as Ossining is a good choice - very diverse. And there are homes in your price range of $400k. I would also like to mention Tarrytown which is just 1 village south (Sleepy Hollow is in between). It's population is very diverse with lots of things for children to do. The express train to Grand Central Station is 37 minutes - on 42nd Street & Park Ave. If you live in LI you would commute into Penn Station which is on 32nd St between 7th & 8th Avenues (West side of NYC). Just remember that Taxes are higher in Westchester than Seattle & that might change your buying power. You may wish to consider a Townhouse or Condo as the taxes are less. Both these school districts provide bus transportation for their students.
None of my neighbors in Tarrytown have experienced any homophobic hostility that we are aware of. Moderator cut: Advertising

Last edited by bmwguydc; 12-16-2013 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: You may not solicit business on the forum

Old 12-14-2013, 03:40 PM

I just wanted to quickly pop in and say thank you to all the above posters. The difference in warmness and welcome is starkly apparent when compared with replies to my thread in the Long Island forum. Much appreciated, all! My partner and I are looking everything over and will PM anyone if necessary.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,197 times
Thank you for asking the question and thanks to you all for answering! I am also relocating and was considering Ossining, but was worried there wouldn't be diversity. Thanks again, you've helped me make up my mind.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,344 times
HI there,
My partner and I are looking to purchase a home, No kids yet, Maybe one day in the near future. Nevertheless, we were looking in Ossining, NY. Any suggestions? Also we viewed a few homes in the Camp Wood grounds; Via internet. It appears to be cute. Can anyone tell me if the area is Gay friendly and diverse? regarding ethnicity.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:12 PM

64 posts, read 167,859 times
Campwoods is a very welcoming group - lots of artists and 'hippie' types (meant in a good way). Such an interesting little neighborhood.

Tons of diversity all over town - my daughter's class picture looks like the UN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County