U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 02:10 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,511,291 times

Advertisements

I see some reasonably priced listings, especially along Weaver St. near Palmer but I'm trying to understand if there are any hidden additional costs apart from upgrades.

Specifically I am wondering if Larchmont (and Mamaroneck), being a coastal community, is seeing higher premiums in the aftermath of Sandy.

Would anyone know if this is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM

1,487 posts, read 3,740,307 times
Weaver Street near Palmer has the 95 and train in its backyard. It's always been cheaper over there. Also note it is right past the toll booth on an incline, and it was so loud with the trucks accelerating after the toll that I couldn't sleep with my windows open at night even a mile away south of there.

Larchmont didn't flood during Sandy. Mamaroneck did a bit, but most of the losses were wind driven. We moved before our renewal period but I haven't heard from friends that they had. If anything, properties in 500 or 100 year flood zones might have changed since hurricanes are becoming more frequent, but if you are on dry land you should be fine.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,511,291 times
/\/\

Thanks. The area appears to be near and equidistant from both the elementary and middle school, which seems convenient if one has kids in both without the need for school bus pickup. Also the church in between looks nicely located for after school religious ed. If I do not move to Bronxville, this part of Larchmont-Mamaroneck would be the only place in Westchester young kids can get to school and church, and adults to the train, just by walking. Have not scouted Greenwich yet though.

I am not familiar with the noise so I will seriously consider.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 AM

2,400 posts, read 5,228,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I see some reasonably priced listings, especially along Weaver St. near Palmer but I'm trying to understand if there are any hidden additional costs apart from upgrades.

Specifically I am wondering if Larchmont (and Mamaroneck), being a coastal community, is seeing higher premiums in the aftermath of Sandy.

Would anyone know if this is the case.
The general answer is yes, and for everybody, not just in flood zones. My residential AND commercial rates both went up when they renewed I've talked to many others who have seen the same and my brokers confirm it. The whole industry had unprecedented loss rates for a couple years with Sandy and Irene, fires out west etc. and they're recouping it.

If you're actually in a flood zone you're hosed. I have buddy in Old Greenwich across the street from a private beach. After FEMA redrew the flood maps they now touch a tiny corner of his garage. He says house was worth $4mm after the crash. Now it's on the market and he can't give it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County