Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 PM

581 posts, read 1,302,942 times

Advertisements

Rent a car and drive around one weekend.
All your questions will be answered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,850 times
WHITE PLAINS. Taxes are lower than anywhere else in Westchester; the schools are better than in PC (that's why Rye Brook backed out of town and created its own school district) and NR (which does have private schools, but they are costly); and nite life and restaurants galore. Both PC and NR, unlike WP, have huge swathes of poverty - and along with the less-than-stellar schools that means resale values are not great. The commute to Queens may not be ideal but commuting to Queens from anywhere in Westchester requires traveling by car and over a bridge, both of which can be a headache. Unless you go into GCS and commute by train to Queens, another headache. Battle Hill in WP is within walking distance to the train station, with express and local trains to GCS, and has houses and condos in your price range. I'm guessing North WP has houses in that price range too since it's just the two of you and you don't need a huge house. There is a train station in NWP too but trains are not express. I agree with another poster that it's not a good idea to settle into a place with a less-than-good school system since kids are years away for you. Once you settle in, you tend to stay there since resettling is daunting. And if you can get rid of the Queens commute, I recommend saving a few more pennies and looking north of 287, ie., Pleasantville, Croton-on-Hudson, Bedford-Katonah, Armonk. My husband and I went thru the same search 30 years ago and we chose WP - we moved to London in the 1990s, and 4 yrs later moved back!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 PM

116 posts, read 353,792 times
I would go with Port Chester. I live here and love it (was a Brooklynite my whole life and moved here 7 years ago).

You can do well here for less than almost anywhere in Westchester, but the drawback is the schools. Many people leave when their kids hit school age.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,990 times
Yes and you can spend 650 on a condo or house in Armonk and only spend 400 in portchester and get a brand new condo.. And the schools aren't horrible they are just diverse.. Slowly but surely a lot of other towns are going to be more diverse.. Which isn't a bad thing

Old 06-04-2014, 08:47 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchestaa View Post
Yes and you can spend 650 on a condo or house in Armonk and only spend 400 in portchester and get a brand new condo.. And the schools aren't horrible they are just diverse.. Slowly but surely a lot of other towns are going to be more diverse.. Which isn't a bad thing
The schools are not terrible, they are inferior. Something common in towns with high numbers of immigrants. But they are hard working and want a better life for their children...the American Dream!! After all, for many of these folks English is a second language.

if you want to see terrible, look at Mount Vernon and south west yonkers.....

Last edited by john70; 06-04-2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 AM

116 posts, read 353,792 times
I have no quarrel with the diversity, I love this neighborhood, and its representation of so many different cultures.
I just knew that some people didn't like the schools (and its certainly possible that xenophobia is why) Not having kids, (and not planning on them) I have no first-hand experience of the schools.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:46 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
With Port Chester you can not only afford to live but you are sandwiched between Greenwich CT, Rye, and Rye Brook , can't beat the location. School is subjective and everyone has to make their own decisions, I can proudly say my dad graduated PCHS class of 1929. Believe it or not even back then PC was diverse, just with different ethnic groups that the adjoining more affluent communities found to be beneath them...guess somethings never change.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:16 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
The fact that there is a Whole Foods in Port Chester speaks a lot about the affluence that is the surrounding areas.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 10,990 times
Portchester is on it's way up.. It can only get better from here ( I hope )!!

Old 01-01-2022, 09:59 PM

105 posts, read 83,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The fact that there is a Whole Foods in Port Chester speaks a lot about the affluence that is the surrounding areas.
Or the affluence that's already in Port Chester. I'd say the multimillion dollar houses there qualify. I know this post is dated but you never someone could be reading it today like I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County