U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 AM

83 posts, read 140,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK2NY View Post
This is great and two very important points that I really didn't fully consider until you guys brought them up.

First, only two homes sold in Croton last year for over $800K. Even if I landed what I'm looking for, I'm sure the resale will be a problem. For buyers looking to spend $1 million+ in Westchester, Croton is not their first choice.

The second critical factor is the culture and community. These neighbors will be our friends and our children's friends. They will have a major impact on my family. I am not a banker or Wall Street type. I'm an entrepreneur. I wear jeans to work, not designer suits. And while we like to have nice things and drive nice cars, we don't do it for show and we never look down on anyone. In fact we spend every Thanksgiving donating turkeys and every Christmas in a homeless shelter. It is very important to me to be surrounded by people with the same values. I want my children influenced by people like these, not those that get a BMW at 16.

This was very helpful and seemingly narrowed down my choices to Katonah, Bedford, Lewisboro and PR (not getting caught up in the town names as kletter1mann suggested.)

But bmwguydc and john70 got me looking at Ridgefield. It is absolutely gorgeous! The homes in my price range, the taxes, the "10" rated schools - I can't find anything wrong with it!

Since I don't work out of the city or even Westchester (I'll have to travel to north Jersey once a week, otherwise I work from home and Hong Kong), is there any reason or consideration that wouldn't make Ridgefield my immediate top choice?

What are the people like over there? Is the community a good match for me as described above?
You are right on track. But I would tend to agree with BMW, that PR may be a little too secluded. It's beautiful but it may be a bit removed from everything. In my mind the closer you are to the Katonah village, the better. You have the library which has great kid's programs, the museum of art, Caramoor (which has an incredible summer outdoor concert series, some of which is geared towards families), and all the parks and outdoor space common to most of northern westchester.

And if you go to CT, Ridgefield is a beautiful town with a lot going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
hgeb, OK. You mean like Chappaqua. Oh, wait. Chappaqua has very different price ranges for houses in the center of town vs houses to the east of town vs houses to the west of town. Too complicated!! So, maybe Katonah? No, Katonah has at least 4 distinct areas with extremely different price ranges. As does Briarcliff, Bedford, and every town mentioned in this thread. Oh, its all too much! The OP better just give up altogether.
Not necessary to give up. Just don't choose Croton.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,557,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Pound Ridge is great, but given the OP's wife's requirements is likely going to be a bit too rural and away from conveniences, which is the same as an area like Waccabuc or The Salems. If looking in Bedford Central, which is Pound Ridge's district, I would look closer to Bedford, around Guard Hill and environs because it's literally a couple of minutes from Bedford Hills and Mount Kisco for shopping. Guard Hill Road meets Route 117 by the Acura dealership and the Bedford Diner, where it changes to Knowlton Avenue.

As recommended earlier, I would still stand by the Ridgefield vs. Katonah decision as being closest to what you are seeking, especially given your wife's requirements for a community that is not too far away from conveniences. Fifteen minutes to Mount Kisco or New Cannan may not be an issue for many, but if your wife is used to city conveniences, that could wear on her nerves.
Gosh, that's so complicated! Can't the OP just choose anywhere in Bedford Central? And what does "Bedford Central" even mean? Is that different than Bedford Village and Bedford Hills? As a resident of the area, I know what you're saying, but some posters will never be able to follow this! They'll need to print out your post and carry it with them. I hope they don't try to read your comments as they're looking for 117 and the Acura dealer and then crash into another car and cause a major accident! Oh my.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Gosh, that's so complicated! Can't the OP just choose anywhere in Bedford Central? And what does "Bedford Central" even mean? Is that different than Bedford Village and Bedford Hills? As a resident of the area, I know what you're saying, but some posters will never be able to follow this! They'll need to print out your post and carry it with them. I hope they don't try to read your comments as they're looking for 117 and the Acura dealer and then crash into another car and cause a major accident! Oh my.
I think dma is snowed in at his cabin in the woods, he's getting a little worked up.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:56 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,354,116 times
Quote:
Bedford Central is the school district, which most people looking in the area would know. For referenceBedford CSD - Home

I'm out of the Croton debate, btw, but please let's not have another thread get too far off topic.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Pound Ridge is great, but given the OP's wife's requirements is likely going to be a bit too rural and away from conveniences, which is the same as an area like Waccabuc or The Salems. If looking in Bedford Central, which is Pound Ridge's district, I would look closer to Bedford, around Guard Hill and environs because it's literally a couple of minutes from Bedford Hills and Mount Kisco for shopping. Guard Hill Road meets Route 117 by the Acura dealership and the Bedford Diner, where it changes to Knowlton Avenue.

As recommended earlier, I would still stand by the Ridgefield vs. Katonah decision as being closest to what you are seeking, especially given your wife's requirements for a community that is not too far away from conveniences. Fifteen minutes to Mount Kisco or New Cannan may not be an issue for many, but if your wife is used to city conveniences, that could wear on her nerves.
Ridgefield vs Katonah is a perfect recommendation for the OP. Both towns have exactly what you are looking for.

I'm not sure if I missed whether you said you are already in the area. If you are, you should take a weekend and spend some time in both towns and get a feel for the people and what both towns have to offer. It's quite a bit!

If you can't take a visit (or even if you can), keep asking questions. People on here will give you specifics about almost anything you can think of and can be very helpful. I'm sure it's the same on the CT board.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 PM

425 posts, read 951,586 times
Quote:

Yes, but its 15 minutes driving on beautiful bucolic roadway, not fighting NYC traffic. I love driving to Mount Kisco or down 22 to North WP. IF my wife tells me to run to Target or CVS I have no issues. When we lived in southern Westchester and I had to go somewhere it was torture unless late a night when there was no traffic.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,046,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
When we lived in southern Westchester and I had to go somewhere it was torture unless late a night when there was no traffic.
Really? Where did you live? I can't recall being stopped for two cycles of a red light - ever.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 AM

425 posts, read 951,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Really? Where did you live? I can't recall being stopped for two cycles of a red light - ever.
Bronxville. You don't have to wait for many lights up here period.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 AM

2,328 posts, read 5,046,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Bronxville. You don't have to wait for many lights up here period.
Bronxville has bad traffic. What are you kidding?

I've seen very long lines of cars on westbound Route 35 in the morning rush trying to get onto 684.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or