U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 09:22 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,413,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Yes, but its 15 minutes driving on beautiful bucolic roadway, not fighting NYC traffic. I love driving to Mount Kisco or down 22 to North WP. IF my wife tells me to run to Target or CVS I have no issues. When we lived in southern Westchester and I had to go somewhere it was torture unless late a night when there was no traffic.
I agree that the drive can be much more pleasant than other areas, but I also think that would be too rural a consideration for the OP's wife.

As to Mount Kisco, there can be traffic in the downtown area, and that has actually gotten worse in recent years, but it's nothing like White Plains once you know where and when to drive and park in the downtown. Places like Target and the A&P, on the periphery, have increased traffic from the former Bazaar Mall, but 117 is not a terrible trip. However, if you lived in Katonah, there's no reason to take that route as you can easily take Kisco Avenue to the Saw Mill and avoid all delays on 117 if headed to Target and the A&P.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 AM

815 posts, read 1,988,576 times
Based on john70's take on things, one wonders how we get anywhere at all driving around down here...

We get it. You don't like lower Westchester. You think driving around down here is the worst thing in the world. Can we stick to the facts now though? The OP is interested in a lot of space but with the availability of family-friendly amenities nearby. His wife is a city gal, so he is going to have to do a balancing act. As a former city gal myself, I found northern Westchester to be WAAAAAAYYYYY too rural. We looked in Chappaqua, Briarcliff, Armonk, etc, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in the middle of nowhere. That's me. You guys love it. So maybe we can share facts with the OP and leave him to form his own opinion? I think we've pointed him in the right direction, now he's going to have to figure it out.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM

815 posts, read 1,988,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I agree that the drive can be much more pleasant than other areas, but I also think that would be too rural a consideration for the OP's wife.

As to Mount Kisco, there can be traffic in the downtown area, and that has actually gotten worse in recent years, but it's nothing like White Plains once you know where and when to drive and park in the downtown. Places like Target and the A&P, on the periphery, have increased traffic from the former Bazaar Mall, but 117 is not a terrible trip. However, if you lived in Katonah, there's no reason to take that route as you can easily take Kisco Avenue to the Saw Mill and avoid all delays on 117 if headed to Target and the A&P.
Why is it so implausible that one might know where and when to drive and park in WP???

Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,060,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Based on john70's take on things, one wonders how we get anywhere at all driving around down here...

We get it. You don't like lower Westchester. You think driving around down here is the worst thing in the world. Can we stick to the facts now though? The OP is interested in a lot of space but with the availability of family-friendly amenities nearby. His wife is a city gal, so he is going to have to do a balancing act. As a former city gal myself, I found northern Westchester to be WAAAAAAYYYYY too rural. We looked in Chappaqua, Briarcliff, Armonk, etc, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was in the middle of nowhere. That's me. You guys love it. So maybe we can share facts with the OP and leave him to form his own opinion? I think we've pointed him in the right direction, now he's going to have to figure it out.
Agreed. Pound Ridge, Bedford, South Salem, etc., are absolutely gorgeous, but to me, being a 2-minute drive to supermarkets, delis, pizza places and a train station, and being 25 minutes from Manhattan by car, are more important. But I certainly do not begrudge anyone who prefers the beauty of Pound Ridge, Bedford or South Salem. It's just not my thing.

Not sure why he has such a chip on his shoulder.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM

425 posts, read 955,050 times
No chip. I have lived in both areas, in fact much longer in lower Westchester. Lots of things about lower Westchester I love, including the commute to NYC.

Traffic, however, was not one of them. Thats all.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Agree in part. I liked lower Westchester - just like it up here more. And I think areas of Scarsdale/Mamaroneck are beautiful and have lots of charm. Its just a matter of population density. There are more folks down there in a smaller area. My wife is from the City and Armonk is as far north as she was willing to go. My goal was PR.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,413,762 times
Quote:
Why is it so implausible that one might know where and when to drive and park in WP???
I was referring to Mount Kisco, where to drive and park in Mount Kisco. With WP, you either park in the building or mall that you want to visit. WP actually has a decent road infrastructure, which Mount Kisco lacks, for the amount of traffic served.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 9,370 times
Quote:

If you can tell us where and when to drive and park in White Plains, you will have done a great service. Some of us avoid WP like the plague because there is no free parking. It's an outrage to be asked to pay to park while shopping. And the WP police are rabid. Downtown is crawling with them.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Meter maids...they they refer to themselves as officers....lol

Old 03-21-2014, 07:02 AM

65 posts, read 122,938 times
Hello everyone. And we made it here. A big thank you for all you previous opinions.

For the ones who are interested this is how it went!
In the end it really depended on inventory!
We put Scarsdale Edgemont Ardsley Larchmont Mamaroneck and Rye on our list in the end.
Our favourite houses on the shortlist got taken before we even got there. Literally got signed the day before. So we ,ooked at the ones left.
:0(
4 houses in Mamaroneck/Larchmont. One huge decent looking house. Bit old interior but nice. In a completely hispanic neighbourhood and school. No real garden. Just a bit of a hill But good school. We considered it.

The others in Larchmont/ Mamaroneck were so awful! 4th rooms where we couldn't stand up straight. Run down cracked floors and stairs old stainy carpets. Atrocious!!
Wouldn't have lived in any if them for free. No garden and tiny tiny rooms . Much smaller than our London home. But pavement and very very walkable. Area looked lovely. The good houses probably got taken? Didn't even see many advertised above our budget.

The Rye houses we saw one was nice. But split level. Too many steps for kids. And not that big either.

Irvington. Lovely big houses. Looked very quiet for miles though.

Scarsdale! Without a doubt the best looking town with the best maintained homes in and outside.
Apart from two all houses got taken the day before. But one in Edgemont was available. Very very nice! Picked this one over the big Mamaroneck one for the better garden for the kids. Lots of stairs to front door though and very slopy curvy drive way.
So now a list of other questions on Scarsdale and Edgemont will start appearing. ;0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or