U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM

278 posts, read 560,498 times

Advertisements

One more thing I want to add - I moved to Westchester from Park Slope. I love love Park Slope - lived there for 10 years and miss it all the time. My wife and I always say that if we could afford the amount of space we want (with 2 kids) we would move back there in a heartbeat. You may want to look there - its a great neighborhood - and the commute to midtown is about the same door-to-door as from WP. Problem is that you will get very little space for your money. Your $1.5-$2 million may just buy you something "adequate" there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM

87 posts, read 167,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Restaurants - No matter where you live in lower Westchester, you are a 15-minute drive from a variety of wonderful restaurants. You will not run out of options.

Nightlife - With a wife, two kids, and full-time job, do you have time for nightlife?

Access to the city - On the weekend, you walk out your door, hop in your car, and from a place like Hastings, be in Manhattan in 25 minutes. That's pretty good access. During the week, something like a 35- minute train ride where you get a comfortable seat, as opposed to being a sardine on the subway on your Brooklyn commute.
Restaurants are better in BK but mostly I agree and that's why I live in Westchester. You could also add the ease of access to the rest of Hudson Valley which is wonderful and something that city people tend to overlook. Still, some people need the buzz of the city and are willing to give up conveniences for it. Don't know yet if OP is/isn't one of those folks.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:58 AM

83 posts, read 140,770 times
Quote:
If you want to make your commute and life easy, and spend more time with your family, just skip New Jersey. From Westchester you take Metro North to Grand Central and walk out the rear of the station which I believe is 47th Street. From their it's a hop, skip and a jump to 50th and 5th.

I would also skip Brooklyn. Carroll Gardens and Park Slope are gorgeous, but I believe you will be squeezed in like a sardine on a long and unpleasant subway ride to midtown. Same with Clinton Hill (horrible commute), Bed Stuy (are their decent schools?) and Ditmas (too far).

White Plains is a big city that lacks "charm." I might look at the river towns (Hastings, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington). Yes, they are "sleepy" with small downtowns, but they might be what you are looking for.
Yes the exit you are thinking of is 47th St and Madison. Easy walk to 50th/5th. I would much rather ride Metro North for an hour than be crammed on the subway for 35 minutes (at best). And New Jersey would be bad, you would get to Penn and then have to take the subway.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:42 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,566,551 times
Quote:
If you want to make your commute and life easy, and spend more time with your family, just skip New Jersey. From Westchester you take Metro North to Grand Central and walk out the rear of the station which I believe is 47th Street. From their it's a hop, skip and a jump to 50th and 5th.

I would also skip Brooklyn. Carroll Gardens and Park Slope are gorgeous, but I believe you will be squeezed in like a sardine on a long and unpleasant subway ride to midtown. Same with Clinton Hill (horrible commute), Bed Stuy (are their decent schools?) and Ditmas (too far).

White Plains is a big city that lacks "charm." I might look at the river towns (Hastings, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington). Yes, they are "sleepy" with small downtowns, but they might be what you are looking for.
Given the OP's experience living in major cities and loving it, I doubt they'll mind the subway. Most of the hoods I suggested are under 40 minutes to the OP's office, which is a pretty mellow commute. The farthest neighborhood I suggested was Ditmas, which will be aprox 50 minutes, which the OP may be fine with in order to get a big house that's a short stroll to good restaurants, coffee shops, etc. And no, Bed Stuy's schools are not decent, which is why I suggested moving there when the kids are in middle school and residency no longer matters.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Restaurants - No matter where you live in lower Westchester, you are a 15-minute drive from a variety of wonderful restaurants. You will not run out of options.

Nightlife - With a wife, two kids, and full-time job, do you have time for nightlife?

Access to the city - On the weekend, you walk out your door, hop in your car, and from a place like Hastings, be in Manhattan in 25 minutes. That's pretty good access. During the week, something like a 35- minute train ride where you get a comfortable seat, as opposed to being a sardine on the subway on your Brooklyn commute.
The OP wants to walk, not drive. And you're a 15 minute drive to wonderful restaurants from anywhere in Westchester.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,542,083 times
Not sure about commuting from Park Slope (or Prospect Heights, a less expensive but brownstone-laden alternative to PS). But the morning commute from Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill via the F subway is not that horrible. Getting a seat may be challenging but the ride is not that long and a lot of passengers will get off at W4.

The cost in brownstone Brooklyn is what it is. Bit if OP has a $2M budget that he can stretch to $2.3M, he might be able to find a rowhouse in the spring when more listings come out. Also if they live in such an area it's not impossible to balance going out with spending time with kids, assuming they are not helicopter parents. When I lived in Queens, I would bring my family to Smith St. for late Saturday brunch in the bistros, buy meats in the butcher then walk to church after.

Private schools, while not an immediate need, will eventually have to come into consideration.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeb View Post
Yes the exit you are thinking of is 47th St and Madison. Easy walk to 50th/5th. I would much rather ride Metro North for an hour than be crammed on the subway for 35 minutes (at best). And New Jersey would be bad, you would get to Penn and then have to take the subway.
Yes, I get to my dentist at 53rd and Madison in well under 5 minutes from G

Personally, I prefer Metrnorth to the subway too, hence my move from Brooklyn to Westchester. But I don't have nay interest in being able to walk to restaurants and amenities, which is the OP's primary concern. And this is not about us, it's about the OP.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM

2,328 posts, read 5,062,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
The OP wants to walk, not drive. And you're a 15 minute drive to wonderful restaurants from anywhere in Westchester.
Here's a walkable community with nice housing (but not cheap) - Larchmont. Just over 30 minutes to Grand Central Station on a comfortable commuter train, instead of being packed in like a sardine on the subway. And you will be able to park your two cars in a driveway, and not spend lots of time looking for parking spaces and moving your car once a week for street cleaning.

And between Larchmont and the adjacent community of Mamaroneck (less than 2 miles away), you will have all the restaurants you need.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Here's a walkable community with nice housing (but not cheap) - Larchmont. Just over 30 minutes to Grand Central Station on a comfortable commuter train, instead of being packed in like a sardine on the subway. And you will be able to park your two cars in a driveway, and not spend lots of time looking for parking spaces and moving your car once a week for street cleaning.

And between Larchmont and the adjacent community of Mamaroneck (less than 2 miles away), you will have all the restaurants you need.
I didn't realize that Larchmont was a hotbed of diversity or that it had an urban vibe, both of which the OP requested. It's always hard to guess from one post, but I would imagine that the OP would be much happier in Tarrytown, which has both diversity and a funky vibe. And, of course, happiest in Brooklyn, which is exactly what he seems to be looking for.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM

83 posts, read 140,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The cost in brownstone Brooklyn is what it is. Bit if OP has a $2M budget that he can stretch to $2.3M, he might be able to find a rowhouse in the spring when more listings come out.

Private schools, while not an immediate need, will eventually have to come into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Yes, I get to my dentist at 53rd and Madison in well under 5 minutes from G

Personally, I prefer Metrnorth to the subway too, hence my move from Brooklyn to Westchester. But I don't have nay interest in being able to walk to restaurants and amenities, which is the OP's primary concern. And this is not about us, it's about the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqbqsq View Post
We'd like to live in the City, but I honestly don't feel like ponying up private school tuition for 2 kids for 13 years each so we're looking at the burbs, and I'm well aware that everything else, real estate especially, is outrageously expensive anywhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn and we've just gotten accustomed to having a little more space
When we do eventually buy, we'd like an older house that we can renovate and can go pretty high, but I'd prefer to stay under $2m, if not well under that number. We do know that we don't want to move to a place like Greenwich where $2m hardly gets you to first base though.
Going by Forest comments about needing to stretch his budget and needing private school, those are reasons I wouldn't suggest Brooklyn.
I agree it's about the OP, and that's why I wouldn't suggest it. He even made the comment that he is aware of the cost in Brooklyn and wants to stay under $2m, "if not well under that number".
And he is accustomed to more space, which you won't be getting in Brooklyn. And he doesn't want to send his kids to private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County