U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 AM

87 posts, read 166,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

Is there some kind of Brooklyn style gentrification happening in tarrytown? I've seen this come up a few times in various discussions. If so are the new more affluent residents sending kids to the public school or to hackley and masters?
FHD, I'll try to tackle the schools question until someone with more direct knowledge chimes in. I suspect we are talking about a lot of people with younger kids and many may still be taking a wait-and-see approach to the schools. I see this with young families moving to Ossining - not that they plan to leave necessarily - but at least they know its an option they can take a few years down the road (it seems that many do stay and use the public schools, but it's a heavily biased pool as I'm unlikely to meet those who leave). I have several friends in Tarrytown who fit the wait-and-see description. Moreover, they are all renters so the commitment at this point is low. Would be interesting to here from someone who owns there.

I don't know about Brooklyn-style gentrification (NY times articles on hipsters aside) but I do think BK has gotten so expensive that some folks who thought they might raise their kids there are opting for the suburbs and that Tarrytown, and the rivertowns in general, are appealing to that set. Sure the Tarrytown downtown is small but it is charming and has picked up some nice momentum from the recent arrivals. It's not Smith St, but it's the best around here :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 13,942 times
Yes - seems to be. Everyone I know with young children (including myself) are all sending their kids to public. As I said in a previous post - the education is excellent but the test scores are lower due to the actual diversity of the population (many of the kids are ESL students and this is why the test scores are lower - not due to the education, teachers or curriculum.)

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM

87 posts, read 166,455 times
I should clarify that the wait-and-see attitude I mentioned was in reference to public high school. Nobody I know of has any qualms with sending their kids to the elementary schools in Ossining. I would expect the same in Tarrytown.

plepod, nice to hear that everyone there is going public.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 PM

643 posts, read 477,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqbqsq View Post
Hello all and thanks in advance for any advice.

We'd prefer a house or townhouse condo. When we do eventually buy, we'd like an older house that we can renovate and can go pretty high, but I'd prefer to stay under $2m, if not well under that number. We do know that we don't want to move to a place like Greenwich where $2m hardly gets you to first base though.

I'd like the commute to be as short as possible, but I realize that the commute to NYC is going to be 45-60 mins all in. Looking at the Metro North schedule, it at least seems like the trains run pretty regularly and early/late.

Thanks to all for any advice.
$2m in Greenwich gets you a really big house and you can choose your neighborhood/street. I'm talking 3000-4500 sf, updated with 5 bedrooms and 4 baths.

700-800k gets you a nice house in Glenville or Cos Cob.

Perception isn't always everything.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM

425 posts, read 947,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
$2m in Greenwich gets you a really big house and you can choose your neighborhood/street. I'm talking 3000-4500 sf, updated with 5 bedrooms and 4 baths.

700-800k gets you a nice house in Glenville or Cos Cob.

Perception isn't always everything.
$700-$800 k does not get you a nice house in Glenville or Cos Cob. It may get you a nice house in Portchester or the Byram section of Greenwich - which is basically an extension of Portchester.

$2M in Greenwich gets you a house that is $1.2 Million in most of Westchester (not Bronxville, Scarsdale, Larchmont, Purchase or Rye) and the school system is hit or miss. The difference is that your property taxes wll be less than 1/2 what they would be in most of Westchester. Its a tradeoff.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
$700-$800 k does not get you a nice house in Glenville or Cos Cob. It may get you a nice house in Portchester or the Byram section of Greenwich - which is basically an extension of Portchester.

$2M in Greenwich gets you a house that is $1.2 Million in most of Westchester (not Bronxville, Scarsdale, Larchmont, Purchase or Rye) and the school system is hit or miss. The difference is that your property taxes wll be less than 1/2 what they would be in most of Westchester. Its a tradeoff.
Here's 3 that are actually under 700k that are not in Bryam or PC

103 E Elm St, Greenwich, CT 06830 - New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

An Unaddressed Greenwich, CT 06831 New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

53 Locust St, Greenwich, CT 06830 - New Home for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM

814 posts, read 1,975,817 times
That last house is 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths! For a family of 4? What is your point? You're kind of making john70's point for him...

Old 03-04-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
That last house is 2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths! For a family of 4? What is your point? You're kind of making john70's point for him...
And the other two homes I listed? Again these are under 700k. He said there was NOTHING available under 800k.

Yet, I made his point for him? Confused.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 AM

83 posts, read 140,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
And the other two homes I listed? Again these are under 700k. He said there was NOTHING available under 800k.

Yet, I made his point for him? Confused.
Yeah that first one is perfect! 5 bedrooms and 1 small bathroom with a cramped claw foot tub shower (always fun to use) and a single pedestal sink. That will be a blast for a family of 4. At least they will have a kitchen from the 1950's to go enjoy while they wait for the bathroom to open up.

So you win, there are homes available under 700k.

Maybe you should buy one and tell us how much you enjoy it.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgeb View Post
Yeah that first one is perfect! 5 bedrooms and 1 small bathroom with a cramped claw foot tub shower (always fun to use) and a single pedestal sink. That will be a blast for a family of 4. At least they will have a kitchen from the 1950's to go enjoy while they wait for the bathroom to open up.

So you win, there are homes available under 700k.

Maybe you should buy one and tell us how much you enjoy it.
We're looking at whats available on March 4. And it hurts to do this, but here you go:

Recently Sold Homes in Greenwich CT - 217 transactions - Zillow

Greenwich Recently Sold Homes
217 results of 3+ Beds/2+ baths Single family homes sold in Greenwich of 700k or less.

Anyone else what to debate these statistics? Or do we want to debate perception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County