U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 PM

74 posts, read 84,397 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are determined to get the top notch education for our kid. We both have advanced degrees and decent professional jobs, but we're absolutely not millionaires and are very down to earth.
We're looking for a community of like-minded people - educated, reasonably ambitious in their careers, expecting a lot from their kids.
And most of all, we want to place our son among hard working kids, reasonably challenged by their parents.

Are we going to feel discomfort among Chappaqua or Scarsdale families, due to our middle class income?

Based on this forum, Scarsdale is not a good fit... What about Chappaqua? Are attitudes there different?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:02 AM

40 posts, read 109,214 times
There are TONS of families in Scarsdale that are middle-class. Don't let this forum scare you away. You should go and look for yourself. In particular, the neighborhood of Edgewood is more modest and might be a great fit!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:17 AM

2,397 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U510545 View Post
There are TONS of families in Scarsdale that are middle-class. Don't let this forum scare you away. You should go and look for yourself. In particular, the neighborhood of Edgewood is more modest and might be a great fit!
While this may be true, Chappaqua is certainly the more down-to-earth of the 2. It's just less frenzied, less hyper and the flashy/loud social element is less flashy and not as loud. I doubt that anybody on this board that actually knows both towns would dispute it.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM

2,328 posts, read 5,043,631 times
There are so many other good school districts other than Scarsdale and Chappaqua, which always have the highest test scores because they have ZERO diversity. The prior poster cited Edgewood. A decent house in this neighborhood will run you $800,000. Not exactly diverse.

Both districts are hyper-competitive because, well, everyone moves their because of the school district. And outcomes are not always what you hope for. Plenty of kids in Chappaqua and Scarsdale, to the great disappointment of their hyper-competitive parents, end up being are lousy students, just like anywhere else.

As a couple who are so concerned about your "middle class" income, it sounds like these are definitely not the communities for you. Find out that has a better mix of incomes and perhaps a better mix of racial diversity. You don't want to be in a district where every kid is pushed to the max, and most kids can be showered with money and stuff.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
While this may be true, Chappaqua is certainly the more down-to-earth of the 2. It's just less frenzied, less hyper and the flashy/loud social element is less flashy and not as loud. I doubt that anybody on this board that actually knows both towns would dispute it.
I agree with this completely! Don't get me wrong... Chappaqua has its pros when compared to Scarsdale, and its cons (like commute). It's all a matter of where your priorities lie. But i do think they are fairly similar towns- particularly when compared to other Westchester towns.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
There are so many other good school districts other than Scarsdale and Chappaqua, which always have the highest test scores because they have ZERO diversity. The prior poster cited Edgewood. A decent house in this neighborhood will run you $800,000. Not exactly diverse.
I agree that $800k is the right price point for Edgewood. If that is too high, then you'll be unhappy in Scarsdale. I also do agree that once you pass elementary school, your kids will be in school with all of the other town kids, including the mega rich ones. I do think there is a very strong child-focus in Scarsdale and emphasis on education, which can be negative when it gets to be too extreme. But on the flip side, like the pp pointed out, kids will do how they do. Pushing by parents might help them on the margin, but it's not going to dramatically change their outcome.

I would pick the town you feel best about, after visiting the towns, spending time in their parks, trying to talk to families who live there, touring the schools, etc. It will slowly (or maybe quickly!) dawn on you what the right town for you is! A LOT of Westchester towns that are more modest than Chappaqua and Scarsdale have fantastic schools as well, chock full of kids who are driven. You're talking about one of the best counties in the country! It will be hard to go terribly wrong with a LOT of the school districts...

Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 PM

15 posts, read 29,752 times
What do you mean by "ZERO diversity"? So Asians do not count as minorities?

Quote:

Both districts are hyper-competitive because, well, everyone moves their because of the school district. And outcomes are not always what you hope for. Plenty of kids in Chappaqua and Scarsdale, to the great disappointment of their hyper-competitive parents, end up being are lousy students, just like anywhere else.

As a couple who are so concerned about your "middle class" income, it sounds like these are definitely not the communities for you. Find out that has a better mix of incomes and perhaps a better mix of racial diversity. You don't want to be in a district where every kid is pushed to the max, and most kids can be showered with money and stuff.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM

2,328 posts, read 5,043,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytu2001 View Post
What do you mean by "ZERO diversity"? So Asians do not count as minorities?
I don't believe there are many Asians in Chappaqua.

Let's be honest. When we're talking about diversity we are talking about blacks, and Hispanics who have parents that are immigrants. We are also talking about real income diversity, not diversity in which the cheapest livable house is $750,000. And wealth Asians do not make a community diverse.

If you really want real diversity, move to the Mamaroneck School District. It has incredibly rich white families (many of whom send their kids to the high school), and one elementary school that is 50% Hispanic.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:23 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,220,807 times
Quote:
There are so many other good school districts other than Scarsdale and Chappaqua, which always have the highest test scores >>> because<<< they have ZERO diversity. The prior poster cited Edgewood. A decent house in this neighborhood will run you $800,000. Not exactly diverse.

^^^^This. Exactly.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM

425 posts, read 950,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
True. Scarsdale is more akin to Armonk. Having lived right down the street from Scarsdale for 10 years, living in Armonk for 2 and having visited chappaqua for years, I always find Chappaqua a litttle more reserved and refined....relatively speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or