Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 01:02 AM

8 posts, read 19,599 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving from Menlo Park, CA to Westerchester county earlier spring 2010. We both will be commuting to mid town for work. We want the shortest commute possible, but suburban amenities like a house and yard. We have a three year old and a three month old. We plan to rent, but might sell our house in Cali and buy, since we'll be in the area for at least five years. How's the 3 - 4 bedroom rental market? Montessori schools? Organic, Whole Food markets? Community make up and general differences between New Rochelle, Larchmont and Bronxville, if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
well larchmont is close to a trader joes and is probably the nicest neighborhoods of the three

Old 09-09-2009, 01:27 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Bronxville is a very nice community and has good schools. It's a village in the Town of Eastchester, and the town (Scarsdale zip code area), has Trader Joe's and Mrs. Green's (local natural food market) on White Plains Road that are close to one another. There's an organic market called Food for Thought in Hastings, and a Whole Foods Market in White Plains, both of which are about 15 minutes away.

New Rochelle is a city, and it really depends upon the neighborhood. Closer to Scarsdale, the area is fine, though the public schools do not have the same reputation as schools in Bronxville or Larchmont. The downtown areas of New Rochelle have a mixture of decent and bad areas, making for an area that's in transition in many places.

Bronxville and Larchmont are more walkable than New Rochelle, with Larchmont having a more comprehensive downtown area than Bronxville. New Rochelle is not as walkable, since the areas in the downtown, nearer the train station, are not similar neighborhoods to Bronxville and Larchmont.

You might also consider Pelham, since the commute time is quick and the town has much to like. Shopping areas are a little more spread out, and you would have to drive a few minutes to get to organic markets, but the area has some very nice homes. Pelham is on par with Bronxville and Larchmont, and you might even get a better deal on a rental as some parts of Pelham are not as expensive as Larchmont and Bronxville that do tend to have heftier price premiums.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-09-2009, 03:16 PM

413 posts, read 1,105,718 times
Pelham is going to get Fairway, too, which is an awesome supermarket.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM

86 posts, read 277,331 times
acanada-
my family is just getting ready for a move to eastchester (bronxville po, tuckahoe schools...so complicated!). We have a 3-year old also - I'm checking out Bronxville Montessori in a few weeks...we have friends in the area and hear good things about. If you'd like I can tell you my impressions, as we're big fans of Montessori - both our sons attended/are attending Montessori preschool. Anyway, reply directly to me if you want me to keep in touch.
I highly recommend that you take a trip out and spend some good, quality time in all of the neighborhoods you are looking at and see what feels right to you.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acanada View Post
My wife and I are moving from Menlo Park, CA to Westerchester county earlier spring 2010. We both will be commuting to mid town for work. We want the shortest commute possible, but suburban amenities like a house and yard. We have a three year old and a three month old. We plan to rent, but might sell our house in Cali and buy, since we'll be in the area for at least five years. How's the 3 - 4 bedroom rental market? Montessori schools? Organic, Whole Food markets? Community make up and general differences between New Rochelle, Larchmont and Bronxville, if any?
IMHO: Bronxville would be the best option of the the town's mentioned. It is very close to the city and as a whole Bronxville is a high-end residential area. It has excellent schools, a decent downtown area, a train station whereby residents are guaranteed parking (for a nominal fee), safe, and just decent all around folks. It is very family oriented and tight knit community. Ticks all the boxes for a community.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtowestchester View Post
IMHO: Bronxville would be the best option of the the town's mentioned. It is very close to the city and as a whole Bronxville is a high-end residential area. It has excellent schools, a decent downtown area, a train station whereby residents are guaranteed parking (for a nominal fee), safe, and just decent all around folks. It is very family oriented and tight knit community. Ticks all the boxes for a community.
You just responded to a 5 year old post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County