U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,702 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at moving out of NYC and to southern Westchester. We're looking at Bronxville - which seems to be a very nice town. From all accounts it seems affordable too. Can anyone tell me about the "culture" in Bronxville and the schools. From what I have read online the school is on par with top private schools in the city. Is this a fair assessment?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 9,499,348 times
I did a tour of the school and found it to be great. It's allegedly the only school where elementary, MS and HS are in one campus. Class sizes are still reasonable and teachers are good.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:03 PM

4,762 posts, read 551,119 times
Bronxville is a very nice town, I agree.

You've heard that it's affordable? I'm afraid not.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,109,438 times
If you can pay the property taxes, it's not bad.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 AM

2,328 posts, read 5,042,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtowestchester View Post
My wife and I are looking at moving out of NYC and to southern Westchester. We're looking at Bronxville - which seems to be a very nice town. From all accounts it seems affordable too. Can anyone tell me about the "culture" in Bronxville and the schools. From what I have read online the school is on par with top private schools in the city. Is this a fair assessment?
Thanks in advance.
Bronxville is perhaps the least affordable community in Westchester County. A crappy unrenovated townhouse will probably run you $800,000.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

217 posts, read 402,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Bronxville is perhaps the least affordable community in Westchester County. A crappy unrenovated townhouse will probably run you $800,000.
It's cheap compared to the UES.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,853,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
It's cheap compared to the UES.
I always have to laugh when I read posts like these by people coming from Manhattan who are used to paying astronomical prices for shoebox sized apartments and then look at places in Westchester and think they are reasonably priced. Everything is relative, I guess.

According to this website, Bronxville had a median household income of $171,026 in 2011, with an estimated median house or condo value of $879,115 in the same year and a mean price of $1,335,413 for detached homes. It had a cost of living index of 171.1 (100 is the average for the US) in March, 2012. If you consider that "affordable", then congratulations to you. To me, Bronxville is as others have already stated, one of the most expensive places in Westchester, which is one of the most expensive places in New York to call home.

Historically, Bronxville has been an "old money" town and very WASP-ish, with very little racial and ethnic diversity. C-D says that 87.1% of its less than 6,400 residents (2012 figure) are white. I found the following comparative statistics on schools on the Westchester Magazine website: Westchester County High School Data Chart, SAT Scores, and Rankings - Westchester, NY

Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 PM

425 posts, read 950,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
Bronxville is a very nice town, I agree.

You've heard that it's affordable? I'm afraid not.
Its affordable compared to Manhattan but its the most expensive village in Westchester in terms of what you get for your money and the property taxes. The Bronxville School is great but small and its a very homogenous community. Large Protestant population and fairly large Catholic congregation at St. Josephs.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 PM

425 posts, read 950,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I always have to laugh when I read posts like these by people coming from Manhattan who are used to paying astronomical prices for shoebox sized apartments and then look at places in Westchester and think they are reasonably priced. Everything is relative, I guess.

According to this website, Bronxville had a median household income of $171,026 in 2011, with an estimated median house or condo value of $879,115 in the same year and a mean price of $1,335,413 for detached homes. It had a cost of living index of 171.1 (100 is the average for the US) in March, 2012. If you consider that "affordable", then congratulations to you. To me, Bronxville is as others have already stated, one of the most expensive places in Westchester, which is one of the most expensive places in New York to call home.

Historically, Bronxville has been an "old money" town and very WASP-ish, with very little racial and ethnic diversity. C-D says that 87.1% of its less than 6,400 residents (2012 figure) are white. I found the following comparative statistics on schools on the Westchester Magazine website: Westchester County High School Data Chart, SAT Scores, and Rankings - Westchester, NY
I think the median income is for the ZIP, which includes other areas outside of Bronxville proper. Hard pressed to find a home in Bronxville for under 1 million and thats less than 2000 square foot that needs serious updating and no yard with 30 kish in property taxes. Bronxville is very small - one square mile with really no new construction to speak of.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 37,720 times
You would be surprised that things change quickly, even in Bronxville.

If you can afford the town, and the schooling, as well as quality of life, is your primary concern you can't go wrong. It is probably the only village that is truly walkable in it's entirety (given that it's only a square mile): you and your kids will walk to school, to town and to train daily. the property will hold it's value for sure (as it did through the 2008 dip).

there is income diversity, and it becomes more visible once you live here. for it's size Bronxville has a good share of apartment co-op buildings as well as townhouses, and also very expensive single family homes.

the demand for any type housing outweighs the supply by a large scale, so be ready to compromise. if your top priority is a dream house this not the town. but if the school, walkability, commute, etc... tops your list, this is a good place to land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County