U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 03:24 PM

409 posts, read 457,540 times

Advertisements

But stay away from the Methodists, I tell ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 AM

788 posts, read 2,035,667 times
I think the OP's concern is valid. I grew up in the 50s in a predominantly Irish town in Rockland County and there was quite a bit of anti-semitism in the school. More than I care to remember. That said, this is not the 50s, and Westchester is different, I think, more cosmopolitan and sophisticated. I would never put myself in that situation again, being a very small minority in a town without any real diversity.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:43 AM

2,327 posts, read 5,041,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I think the OP's concern is valid. I grew up in the 50s in a predominantly Irish town in Rockland County and there was quite a bit of anti-semitism in the school. More than I care to remember. That said, this is not the 50s, and Westchester is different, I think, more cosmopolitan and sophisticated. I would never put myself in that situation again, being a very small minority in a town without any real diversity.
OP's question is legitimate. Believe me, many non-Jews don't move to Scarsdale because it is perceived to be a Jewish town. Do they do this because they are anti-Semites? Of course not, for 95% plus. They just would feel comfortable in another community.

And perhaps they do not want their kids to have to go to a Bar-Mitzvah or Bat-Mitzvah every week for an entire school year.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:33 PM

425 posts, read 950,519 times
Not really on point, but I recently discovered that there is a Hasidic community in Mount Kisco/Bedford Hills? I never knew they were in Westchester.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 AM

2,327 posts, read 5,041,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Not really on point, but I recently discovered that there is a Hasidic community in Mount Kisco/Bedford Hills? I never knew they were in Westchester.
Isn't this just a school with students who board? Or do families live there?

Old 05-21-2014, 06:50 AM

425 posts, read 950,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Isn't this just a school with students who board? Or do families live there?
There is a gated Hasidic community - Settlement Road and Yeshiva Road etc just northwest of the village of Mount Kisco, maybe technically Bedford Hills or Katonah. I have seen them in Kisco and was surprised....

Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM

24 posts, read 31,487 times
Presbyterians unite! Let's have coffee hour together!!

Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 PM

796 posts, read 1,363,625 times
The OP has a very valid concern. To the OP, keeping Jewish tradition is important to her and her family, and she wants it to be important to her children, too. Therefore, she wants to live somewhere where it is important to other people as well. Is it the most important thing in the world and the only thing that matters? Probably not. Is it also important to meet and befriend people who are different than you? Of course.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:27 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,338,550 times
I agree that you would not have a problem in Katonah, even if many of the Jewish families I know are reform, and/or almost secularized; however, if looking at Katonah, there is only one elementary school in Katonah proper (as the "village" as it is known, not incorporated, is in Bedford). The other elementary schools are in the Lewisboro portion of the school district, which is a factor if you want a train station permit at Katonah.

Katonah's zip code spans three towns: Bedford, Lewisboro, and Somers. In Lewisboro, Goldens Bridge has a waitlist for permits, but there are some daily meters if your commute coincides with availability. If you do not need the train, it is a non-issue, save that you want to be east of the Cherry Street & Route 35 intersection if you want K-L schools, as west with a Katonah address is Somers. Somers has no train station in the town proper. Bedford keeps permits for residents, though you will start out in Lot 3 at Katonah, about a five-minute walk to the station platform.

Walking to services, however, if you are Orthodox can be an issue, owing to the distances covered in Northern Westchester, including Katonah, where it is not as feasible to walk as it is in Scarsdale, parts of New Rochelle, and the city. If that is not an issue, then socially you would not really have a problem in Katonah.

The Hasidic community has been there for years, as the Yeshiva school has been there since the late 1970s.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County