U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:36 PM

7 posts, read 43,757 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the DC area to Westchester NY. I am looking at Pelham, and Rye Brook. We have to kids ages 2 and 4 so go schools and preschool are very important as well as decent commute to NYC. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 03:04 PM

2,250 posts, read 5,985,342 times
Rye Brook is pretty expensive. The most affordable 3 bedroom home is listed around $600,000 and the prices seem similiar in Pelham.Rye Brook is made up of 2 districts, and the better one is the Blind Brook School District. The high school in that district was ranked #88 in the Newsweek 2006 high school rankings. The Pelham high school was awarded the national blue ribbon school of excellence. From Pelham to Grand Central is a little bit over 30 minutes and about 45 minutes from Rye.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:21 PM

7,079 posts, read 34,554,937 times
These are extremely expensive areas, but the schools are good.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,636,885 times
Westchester has some of the best, and most expensive areas in NY. If you can swing the cost of living there you will probably be quite happy.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 AM

202 posts, read 433,051 times
area is way overvalued and is overdue for a market real estate correction. Hold off for two years if you can and get the best deal than!!! just my .02

Old 10-29-2006, 08:00 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,679,144 times
Default Westchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by house-hunter View Post
area is way overvalued and is overdue for a market real estate correction. Hold off for two years if you can and get the best deal than!!! just my .02
What he said but if you must you might consider looking east a bit in CT. Ridgefield, N. Stamford, Wilton, Redding, Greenwich are pretty exclusive with lower taxes. If you're rich you might be able to afford it. If not I'm selling my house in Queens, NYC - so convenient to Manhattan .

Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 13,715 times
Default Phenomenal schools

We've relocated from Australia to Westchester a couple of years ago. The schools are phenomenal in most areas and the commute to Manhattan is bearable. If you can afford to live here you can't go wrong with your children - best schools seem to be in Larchmont, Mamamroneck, Rye, Rye Brook, Scarsdale, Pelham, Eastchester and Bronxville (avoid Yonkers schools apparently). Most towns have 'newcomer' clubs.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 PM

84 posts, read 527,310 times
too funny!! We are considering the exact same relocation.....from DC area to Westchester....hubbie working in Manhattan. What does your husband do???

I've looked at Rye, Chappaqua, South Salem, Yorktown.....some are further out than others, but with good schools......I like Conn. best, particularly Ridgefield and Redding for land and lifestyle and extremely hig rated schools. Fairfield is closer in and good schools too, as are Wilton and Westport.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM

47 posts, read 257,791 times
What type of commute are you looking for to NYC? Car or train? and what is the longest travel time you will consider? what is your price range. I can show you a house in one town then the same house in another an its 3 times the price. Just wanted to move to Westchester is very vague, you need to have a price in mind then I can recommend affordable combined with good schools. Pelham and Rye Brook are expensive....there are other towns with decent drive or train ride to NYC for less money than Rye Brook. Parts of West Harrsion, Eastchester and a handful of others come to mind. White Plains if you have Valhalla schools, no Yonkers if you want good schools, same thing with Greenburgh schools, can't seem to get many people to move there when schools are the main concern.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 PM

47 posts, read 257,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemn View Post
too funny!! We are considering the exact same relocation.....from DC area to Westchester....hubbie working in Manhattan. What does your husband do???

I've looked at Rye, Chappaqua, South Salem, Yorktown.....some are further out than others, but with good schools......I like Conn. best, particularly Ridgefield and Redding for land and lifestyle and extremely hig rated schools. Fairfield is closer in and good schools too, as are Wilton and Westport.
Great choices, great schools. You will get the best deal in terms of house prices in certain areas of Yorktown, the other towns you mentioned can get really high and many houses are so old, you have to have a particular taste to like those houses unless you want new construction which I do not recommend unless you like paying taxes in the $20,000-$30,000 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or