U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 AM

4,762 posts, read 554,667 times

Advertisements

I was having this discussion with someone yesterday; it appears as if there are many differing opinions on where the boundary line is between "northern" Westchester and "southern" Westchester.

There are four different ways I've heard so far, all of which will still result in some level of inaccuracy. Feel free to share your own opinion if it's not listed here.

1) 287 is the dividing line between north and south. This is not truly geographically accurate, as 287 lies 13 miles north of the Westchester/Bronx border, but 27 miles south of the Westchester Putnam border. This would make 68% of the area of the county lie in the "north" and 32% in the "south." Also, some areas that are universally called "southern" lie slightly north of 287, such as some parts of White Plains, Harrison and Port Chester.

2) White Plains is the dividing line between north and south. Again, since 287 passes directly through White Plains, this is not truly geographically accurate, for the same reasons. It may be more of a cultural distinction as the "center" of county government, but that's all. In fact, the spur road of 287 connecting off Exit 7 and running south to Bloomingdale Road and north to Route 22 in the town of North Castle (in the hamlet of North White Plains) was recently renamed and signed the Central Westchester Parkway. This is a bit of a misnomer, as the entire road lies in the southern half of the county, even though most of it runs north of 287 and most of it is contained within the White Plains city limits.

3) Make an imaginary line equidistant from the Bronx border and the Putnam border. This line would run (roughly) through the middle of the village of Sleepy Hollow, along Route 448 through the town of Mount Pleasant, pass near Exit 25 on the Saw Mill and just north of the Westchester County Medical Center, and run east across the Kensico Reservoir. The line would end at 684, precisely where it runs for a short distance into Connecticut. This distinction, while entirely geographically accurate, would be very hard to follow and make it difficult to put each town or community along the line into one of the two categories.

4) This is my own solution, and the best I can come up with: divide the two by the major north-south highways that run through them. All the areas accessible by the Hutch, the Bronx River, the Sprain, I-95 and I-87 would be "southern", while all the areas accessible by the Taconic and 684 would be "northern". (I would leave the Saw Mill out entirely, as it truly does run in both halves of the county, and runs more northeast than due north). Four of the five "southern" highways (all except 87) do run north of 287 and north of White Plains, almost to the point of the imaginary dividing line above. The only ambiguity would be in classifying the handful of communities accessible by both a "northern" highway and a "southern" highway, such as Valhalla (Taconic and Sprain) or Purchase (Hutch and 684). These would have to be considered truly "central", and I have no basis by which to include them in either category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 AM

367 posts, read 881,279 times
To me its all about highway access in conjunction with train access. If its off the highway AND within about 40-45 mins express train to GCT, then its southern.

For example, Ossining is Northern Westchester as there is no highway access to it (even though the train access is there). But some place like MT Kisco is because its off taconic and has train access. At least I think it does, I may be wrong.

So according to me you can have a southern Westchester town that is more North than a northern Westchester town! How is that for confusing?

Old 05-19-2014, 10:08 AM

223 posts, read 683,941 times
Theres probably a central westchester also which are probably towns within 10 min of 287.
The main difference between north and south westchester is generally more land per house and less conjestion, although this will vary town to town

Old 05-19-2014, 09:53 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Light and darkness, love and hate, goodness and evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or