Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 PM

37 posts, read 90,914 times

Advertisements

I live in Forest Hills Garden, Queens. It's extremely relaxing here but i live with my parents (23 years old)
Since i graduated college i decided that i wanted to buy a home, but i can't afford the $1million+ homes here in forest hills garden. I currently work as a Radiologic Tech making $75k yearly and my girlfriend works as a nurse making $60k yearly. We want to find a home thats around $850k so that our mortgage monthly payment is below $4k.
What we want:
- Great community
- Comforting SAFE neighborhood.
- If possible something family-friendly, but then again this is NY lol.
- Decent schools for when we have kids.
- At least 30min drive into Manhattan/Bronx/Queens. 30min drive on the best possible traffic, i know it could be more.
- Things nearby like malls, movie theaters, restaurants etc..
- No where near any housing projects
- No "ghetto" areas AT ALL, has to be 100% safe so where if i wanted to walk around my neighborhood, or BBQ in my backyard i will feel safe.

But the most important thing is really safety, here in Forest Hills Gardens i know all of my neighbor we all have each others keys, we walk into each others houses to eat whenever we want. Its extremely nice here since its dominated by wealthy older people( some with kids ). I know nothing about westchester so yea..

A few places we thought about but we don't really know anything about:
- White Plains
- Dobbs Ferry
- Hastings on Hudson (maybe)
- New Rochelle
- Eastchester
- Yonkers (maybe**)

We are open to more locations but it has to be 30mins to 1 hour (MAX) to Manhattan/bronx/queens

I know im asking for a lot, but the more info i give the better my outcome is!
Thanks!

Last edited by ace789; 05-31-2014 at 11:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 AM

562 posts, read 1,058,052 times
Do you have money stashed somewhere? Because that combined salary is nowhere near what you need to support an $850k house. Sure, you can afford the mortgage—and probably tightly—but what about taxes, maintenance, money saved to handle household emergencies like a boiler catching fire (ours just cost $9,000 to convert to gas), utilities, transportation, furnishing, groceries, and living the quality of life you're used to?

Frankly, I think you're in over your head at this number. A few more things to consider:

1) You're not engaged. What happens if you break up? Buying a house is a major investment and strain on even married people. Can you support the mortgage on one salary?
2) What if one of you gets sick or loses their job? Again, can you support the mortgage—and all the factors mentioned above—on one salary?
3) Are you handy? Repairs and renovations are expensive, and it sounds like your finances could be strained at this house price.
4) Do you have a money saved for a down payment? Do you have additional money saved? Do you have stellar credit?
5) Do you have a keeping-up-with-the-Jonses mentality many Westchesterites have? That's another hit on the wallet.

I'm not expecting you to answer me, but you should answer those questions for yourself. My husband and I make a combined $160k and we bought a house for just under $300k with all those factors above in mind. If one of us can't work, we can still live comfortably. We were able to pay for the new boiler in cash because all of these cost factors aren't draining our paychecks.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 AM

PS - No area will ever be 100% safe.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 PM

37 posts, read 90,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Do you have money stashed somewhere? Because that combined salary is nowhere near what you need to support an $850k house. Sure, you can afford the mortgage—and probably tightly—but what about taxes, maintenance, money saved to handle household emergencies like a boiler catching fire (ours just cost $9,000 to convert to gas), utilities, transportation, furnishing, groceries, and living the quality of life you're used to?

Frankly, I think you're in over your head at this number. A few more things to consider:

1) You're not engaged. What happens if you break up? Buying a house is a major investment and strain on even married people. Can you support the mortgage on one salary?
2) What if one of you gets sick or loses their job? Again, can you support the mortgage—and all the factors mentioned above—on one salary?
3) Are you handy? Repairs and renovations are expensive, and it sounds like your finances could be strained at this house price.
4) Do you have a money saved for a down payment? Do you have additional money saved? Do you have stellar credit?
5) Do you have a keeping-up-with-the-Jonses mentality many Westchesterites have? That's another hit on the wallet.

I'm not expecting you to answer me, but you should answer those questions for yourself. My husband and I make a combined $160k and we bought a house for just under $300k with all those factors above in mind. If one of us can't work, we can still live comfortably. We were able to pay for the new boiler in cash because all of these cost factors aren't draining our paychecks.
We have $375k total saved for downpayment then another $150k for repairs & anything.
We both have 720+ credit scores.
We both have cars, she has a fully paid off 2011 Bmw and i have a Mercedes Benz C250 that im gonna finish paying off next week ( about $5k ) ( we just pay $360 for insurance total )
Yeah were not engaged yet but im about to ask very soon lol. First were gonna rent to see how we live together then from there buy a home. I just wanna be ready when the time does & so does she.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:39 PM

Good for you, then! Certainly not a bad position to be in at your age. Good call on renting first and best of luck.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 AM

222 posts, read 540,618 times
An 850k house will have taxes of about 25k (~2k per month on top of the 4k in mortgage). Why do you want to pay for all of that when you don't have kids in school. Why don't you get a nice apartment for half of that price and invest that money elsewhere. If you want to live in suburbia there's nice place in Hartsdale, Pelham and White Plains.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
You might want to check out Yorkville in the UES for renting. I think some of the units there (walk ups) are priced reasonably.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 10,996 times
If you have 500,000 cash saved up you shouldn't even be asking for advice!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 PM

168 posts, read 417,299 times
What do you mean you walk into each other houses and eat whatever you want? Where is exactly this strangely friendly neighborhood?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:31 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
at 23, I would wait until late 20s the earliest...a LOT can happen in the meanwhile. I was in a similar position as you at the same age.

sidenote: I wasn't aware that people in FHG was really THAT friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County