U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:28 PM

91 posts, read 141,835 times

Advertisements

In terms of downtown offerings, Larchmont again would get my vote. It has a movie theater, great restaurants, a supermarket, and a variety of interesting boutiques. Also, it is a reasonable walk to Boston Post Road where you have Trader Joe's and a great variety of retail and dining. And you are next to Mamaroneck, which has a walkable downtown and a pretty impressive restaurant row (for the suburbs), plus another movie theater. And then there is the harbor, which is lovely. Irvington is much sleepier -- not much of a downtown at all. The parks along the river in Irvington and the Croton-Aqueduct Trail are the things that make Irvington special. Also, if you don't want or are indifferent to diversity, Irvington is better. Irvington is also a better bet for finding a home with a yard of .5 acre or larger. Whenever I drive through Tarrytown, it is choked with traffic. It's cute, yes, but far too congested. And my hunch is that you would be disappointed with the schools. I would echo the previous poster who recommended that you spend some quality time in each of these downtowns. Go to open houses, even for houses that don't thrill you, just to get a feel for the neighborhoods. It's a big decision and you will learn something each time you visit one of these towns. Lastly, I think all three towns are basically lovely and special and that you can't really go to far wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM

3,215 posts, read 1,837,975 times
elsiewu
Quote:
"Interesting to note as well that some Tarrytown homes are zoned for Irvington."
That section of Tarrytown is called "Pennybridge" from Sheldon Avenue south to Sunnyside Lane is all part of the Irvington School System. If you are going to live in Tarrytown you are better off sending your children to Irvington schools. When I was growing up in Irvington, Tarrytown schools had more than their share of problems especially Sleepy Hollow High School. Mostly due to it's large percentage of impoverished non-English speaking people living off of Beekman Avenue, Cortland Street, Depeyster Street etc. which was once called North Tarrytown now Sleepy Hollow. True, shopping is limited within the Village of Irvington, but that's what makes Irvington so unique they avoided all that crap. Yet it's very close and convenient to shop in the neighboring towns. The nearest supermarket is only 3 miles away in either direction. There are plenty of big box stores you can shop at along Central Avenue in Scarsdale, White Plains and Yonkers. You can read my posts about Irvington N.Y. elsewhere on this site, under "Irvington: What's it like?" If possible move to Irvington, you'll be better off in the long run and in your price range you should be able to get something pretty decent.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:45 AM

425 posts, read 949,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
It only took John six minutes for john70 to crawl out from under his rock.

There is a new Toll Brothers development in Tarrytown, with houses going for $1.5+ million, in case you are interested.

Tarrytown is very different from Irvington and Larchmont. Again, if you want a real multi-cultural diverse economic backgrounds school district, it could be to your liking.

Again, do your due diligence.
Rubygrits of course can only afford to window shop in these towns so take his typical know it all opinion with a grain of salt.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:03 AM

2,327 posts, read 5,036,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Rubygrits of course can only afford to window shop in these towns so take his typical know it all opinion with a grain of salt.
What's your point? So I can't afford a $1.5M house. So what? They are there to be purchased, and I am letting the OP know about the development.

Go crawl back under your rock.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM

425 posts, read 949,209 times
Go crawl back under your rock.[/quote]

Very clever Ruby Grits.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:44 AM

107 posts, read 366,000 times
Pleasantville might be worth a look. The downtown is much smaller than Tarrytown, but it is very walkable with plenty of homes close to the train station, schools, and library.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,727,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliInChappaqua View Post
Pleasantville might be worth a look. The downtown is much smaller than Tarrytown, but it is very walkable with plenty of homes close to the train station, schools, and library.
Commute is 54 min.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 12,047 times
thanks again to all who have responded!

Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,315,113 times
Larchmont has a better downtown area, although Tarrytown would be a close second in terms of vibrancy of the commercial area. Irvington, while quaint, is not as walkable, nor as comprehensive a downtown area.

I would also not discount Bronxville if you are comfortable around $2M, as you would find single-family houses that are within close proximity to the downtown part of the village and train. Bronxville also has a short commute to GCT, but there could be limited options owing to the general expense of the village, and offerings in Tarrytown would be larger and newer.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County