Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,329 times

Advertisements

As a Long Islander, I know all about ridiculous property taxes, LOL, but I have a question re: Westchester.

Obviously Westchester's prop taxes are high, I know that by reputation; however, in general are they higher in lower Westchester (closer to NYC) and lower in northern Westchester? Given comparable towns that are at least 80% or more white in demographic makeup, in both parts of the county.

Or is the tax situation pretty much the same county-wide with only slight variations from town to town as per school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
As a Long Islander, I know all about ridiculous property taxes, LOL, but I have a question re: Westchester.

Obviously Westchester's prop taxes are high, I know that by reputation; however, in general are they higher in lower Westchester (closer to NYC) and lower in northern Westchester? Given comparable towns that are at least 80% or more white in demographic makeup, in both parts of the county.

Or is the tax situation pretty much the same county-wide with only slight variations from town to town as per school district?

The county property tax is the same percentage throughout the county. Property value in many southern westchester towns is higher, so the overall taxes are higher too. Schools also charge different tax rates, but all are now capped per the state. The local town taxes also can vary. The reason taxes seem higher in lower westchester is that values are higher, but not that the rates are higher.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
The county property tax is the same percentage throughout the county. Property value in many southern westchester towns is higher, so the overall taxes are higher too. Schools also charge different tax rates, but all are now capped per the state. The local town taxes also can vary. The reason taxes seem higher in lower westchester is that values are higher, but not that the rates are higher.
This is greatly oversimplified, at best.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
This is greatly oversimplified, at best.
I am sorry if you think so. I tried to explain the three components of tax in westchester county. The largest part is the county portion and it is equal throughout the county. the other two, school and local (meaning town/city/special district) are the only portions that can change. If you want to compare:

http://www3.westchestergov.com/image...olTaxRates.pdf

In the lower county, where values are higher, most school rates are lower. Obviously the cost the educate a kid can vary with the level of service but the basic cost per student for the overhead (teachers, admins, heating, lighting ...) is pretty flat in such a close area. The schools can generate enough money to run great schools on a lower rate. In areas up north where the values are lower, the rates are higher. Some lower county schools have high rates and high values, but those schools are known for being among the best in the country and there is a reason. They spend more per student. I hope this is not too "oversimple" for your tastes.

For the municiple and special district rates:
http://www3.westchestergov.com/image...tyTaxRates.pdf
http://www3.westchestergov.com/image...TaxRatesR1.pdf
http://www3.westchestergov.com/image...geTaxRates.pdf
http://www3.westchestergov.com/image...ctTaxRates.pdf

The same house in two towns close to each other can have significantly different rates.

All the information you want can be foudn using google. It is very "simple" to do. You can probably fidn it all yourself without ever needing ot post in a forum like this. But since you chose to post here, I responded in my simple way. I am sorry for offending you.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,329 times
So basically the difference in property values between southern and northern Westchester are driven by (1) commuting distance to NYC and (2) school district. Same as here on LI with Nassau vs Suffolk counties.

However, there are a couple of areas in Suffolk county that have lower property taxes than the average for nice residential Suffolk areas because a big chunk of the school taxes are taken up by a commercial base. For instance within the town of Smithtown there are actually two different school districts: Smithtown School District in which taxes are higher, and the Hauppauge School District in which the taxes are lower. The two districts are similar in ranking and services, as are the demographics. The county and town taxes are the same in both districts (because it's all Town of Smithtown) but because there is a large office/industrial park lying within the boundaries of the Hauppague school district, the school taxes there are noticeably lower -- often by a couple thousand a year at least. A house that is in the Hauppauge-school-district portion of Smithtown and paying $9000/yr in total taxes, if transported property and all into the Smithtown-school-district part of Smithtown would pay between $11,000 and 12,000 in taxes just via the school district switch.

Anyone know of any similar situations in northern Westchester?

Old 06-12-2014, 10:17 AM

222 posts, read 540,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
So basically the difference in property values between southern and northern Westchester are driven by (1) commuting distance to NYC and (2) school district. Same as here on LI with Nassau vs Suffolk counties.

However, there are a couple of areas in Suffolk county that have lower property taxes than the average for nice residential Suffolk areas because a big chunk of the school taxes are taken up by a commercial base. For instance within the town of Smithtown there are actually two different school districts: Smithtown School District in which taxes are higher, and the Hauppauge School District in which the taxes are lower. The two districts are similar in ranking and services, as are the demographics. The county and town taxes are the same in both districts (because it's all Town of Smithtown) but because there is a large office/industrial park lying within the boundaries of the Hauppague school district, the school taxes there are noticeably lower -- often by a couple thousand a year at least. A house that is in the Hauppauge-school-district portion of Smithtown and paying $9000/yr in total taxes, if transported property and all into the Smithtown-school-district part of Smithtown would pay between $11,000 and 12,000 in taxes just via the school district switch.

Anyone know of any similar situations in northern Westchester?
Yup, White Plains and Mt. Kisco have "reasonable" taxes which I imagine is related to their commercial tax base.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
Yup, White Plains and Mt. Kisco have "reasonable" taxes which I imagine is related to their commercial tax base.
White Plains and Mt. Kisco are "urban" areas with far higher populations and more lower income individuals in these populations. These schools are often seen as being ranked lower tham others in southern westchester. Also, sheer numbers makes up a lot of the tax revenue, so taxes can be lower. The commercial base helps too of course.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
White Plains and Mt. Kisco are "urban" areas with far higher populations and more lower income individuals in these populations. These schools are often seen as being ranked lower tham others in southern westchester. Also, sheer numbers makes up a lot of the tax revenue, so taxes can be lower. The commercial base helps too of course.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Interesting discussion. Here's my random sampling of 8 houses on the market (4 northern, 4 southern) in order of tax rate:

Chappaqua: 989K $32,000 (2200 sqft)
Katonah: 995K $28,000 (4500 sqft)
Hastings: 940K $25,000 (2200 sqft)
Mamaroneck: 999K $2300 (2700 sqft)
Ossining: 995K $20,000 (3600 sq ft)
Bedford: 970 K $18,000 (2900 sqft)
Scarsdale: 988K $18,000 (2200 sqft)
Larchmont: 971K $17,000 (1900 sqft)

Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 AM

222 posts, read 540,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Interesting discussion. Here's my random sampling of 8 houses on the market (4 northern, 4 southern) in order of tax rate:

Chappaqua: 989K $32,000 (2200 sqft)
Katonah: 995K $28,000 (4500 sqft)
Hastings: 940K $25,000 (2200 sqft)
Mamaroneck: 999K $2300 (2700 sqft)
Ossining: 995K $20,000 (3600 sq ft)
Bedford: 970 K $18,000 (2900 sqft)
Scarsdale: 988K $18,000 (2200 sqft)
Larchmont: 971K $17,000 (1900 sqft)
The taxes for Larchmont and Scarsdale seem pretty low, they're mostly likely in the Yonkers and New Rochelle school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County