Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,743 times

Advertisements

We're a long time resident in lower Westchester and ready to purchase a home. We have grade school children so quality/safe schools are a must. All things considered, including location and budget, we really like White Plains, but the schools are a concern for us. But I'm not sure how real these concerns are.

I know about the racial and socioeconomic diversity in the school population, low test scores, thus lower rankings. But as long as the schools are safe with caring teachers and a path for those that want to excel, that's what I really care about. I'm not concerned that my children will be a racial minority in a school that is high percentage hispanic and black. In fact, as long as there is no bullying and unruly behavior, I would prefer that over the surround districts.

Are there any parents in White Plains who can give me some perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM

354 posts, read 775,585 times
Hi - I've posted about this in other threads as well. We live in White Plains and have a son entering 3rd grade now - he's been in the system since pre-K. We have so far been extremely happy with the schools, and I can pretty much say that most other parents I speak to feel the same way. It sounds like you are already aware of the "issues" - that this is a city, with a large immigrant population - so using only test scores as a way to measure the quality of the education doesn't work as well here.

Most people in the community live here because we would rather have our kids be in a racially diverse environment that represents the real world, rather than a completely homogenous demographic. I'm not going to say that the education is as good as what they would get in a Scarsdale or Chappaqua because I don't have first hand experience, but I don't think that the taxes you pay in those places buy you that much better of an education. We have close friends who's child is the same age as our son and goes to Rye Brook schools. When his mom saw what our son was learning in class she was blown away. They weren't doing anything on that level in his school.

We've also been thrilled with all of the teachers and administrators we have encountered. And really, I believe the teacher is the most important thing that impacts the educational experience. Our son is really thriving and we are very happy so far. Safety has never been an issue at all.

I think that White Plains and its schools are very underrated and overlooked by many when it may be one of the best values in Westchester.

Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have and I can try to answer.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've heard great things about the elemetary schools.... the teachers, the programs, etc. And how bad can children be at that age?

I'm thinking several years ahead into middle and high schools. It doesn't sound like your children are there yet, but do you have anything you can share regarding middle and high school? Any decipline issues, bullying, unruly behavior, thuggish elements, etc, being that there are kids who are from the less desirable parts of town... or maybe I am overstating that.

What about the good things? The amount of college bound kids, AP and other accelerated programs? Or are those program thwarted because they have to divert resources to kids who are below standard? Like kids who don't even speak English?

But honestly, even if there are some real world issues at the schools, if the schools offer a path for those that want to excel and there are a group of kids that are going to be focused on the right things and value education and hard work, that's what I care about.

Would you have anything to share regarding any of the above points?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:59 PM

34 posts, read 55,589 times
Hello. I graduated from White Plains High School in 1995, and was accepted into an Ivy League college. I moved back to White Plains in 2006, so I can raise my family here and send my kids to the public schools. Many of my old classmates have also moved back, and are sending their kids to the public schools. I'd be happy to talk to you about all the questions you raise. You are welcome to email me (kraver@me.com) if you'd like to set up a time to chat.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:42 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I'm not going to say that the education is as good as what they would get in a Scarsdale or Chappaqua because I don't have first hand experience, but I don't think that the taxes you pay in those places buy you that much better of an education. We have close friends who's child is the same age as our son and goes to Rye Brook schools. When his mom saw what our son was learning in class she was blown away. They weren't doing anything on that level in his school.
With the common core in place, won't they all (ie Rye Brook, WP, etc.) be learning the same thing?

What I'c curious about is what would make WP's schools different/better than NYC's if similar demographics apply. Does WP invest more in smaller class sizes, teachers aides, libraries, etc.?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:11 AM

354 posts, read 775,585 times
Ly1nEyes - as my kids are young I don't have any first hand experience about the high school. I can tell you that the parents and kids I've talked to who have been through the high school have had nothing but good things to say about it though. I found the 2014-2015 course catalog for the high school on the district website. That should give you a good idea of the kinds of classes offered. I think it's a pretty respectable list. This is actually the first time I've looked at it too.

http://www.whiteplainspublicschools....%202014-15.pdf

Forest_Hills_Daddy - I don't know a whole lot about the common core, but from what I've been told, that sets a baseline for the minimum things all the schools must teach. But it doesn't mean that some classes or schools might do more than required in certain areas.

About the comparison to NYC schools - I think its a tough one to make just because the NYC school system is so enormous. I'm sure there are a lot of public schools in the city that are better than WP and a whole lot that are far worse. It depends on what school/neighborhood you're looking at. I'm pretty sure though that the class sizes are smaller in WP that most NY city schools. At the elementary level, they don't let the classes get bigger than 22 students. I haven't done any detailed comparisons of expenditures per pupil, etc. but if anyone wants to do the research I'd be curious to see myself!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 AM

374 posts, read 1,058,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
With the common core in place, won't they all (ie Rye Brook, WP, etc.) be learning the same thing?

What I'c curious about is what would make WP's schools different/better than NYC's if similar demographics apply. Does WP invest more in smaller class sizes, teachers aides, libraries, etc.?
Can you restate your question? It sounds like you are naively asserting that demographics dictates the performance of a school. This sounds a bit racist to me.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 AM

127 posts, read 215,902 times
I can offer my experience: my kids both attended a well known, highly regarded parochial school. The experience there for my younger son was horrible. I pulled him out in 6th grade and he went to Highlands Middle School. All I can say was that for the first time I did not need to "teach" him went he got home, he was learning and was very happy. The frustration level was gone. When I asked him why it was different he stated that the teachers actually taught there. Yes, all the schools have to teach the same for the Common Core but their delivery of the material can be different. We had a positive experience as did others I know in the school district. We ended up moving out of state and he was ahead of his classmates in his grade. Upon leaving the school, I complimented the principal telling him that I wished I had moved both my kids sooner to the district. Yes, it is diverse but so is the rest of the world. My son never felt unsafe and should anything arise it was handled appropriately and quickly.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK153 View Post
Hello. I graduated from White Plains High School in 1995, and was accepted into an Ivy League college. I moved back to White Plains in 2006, so I can raise my family here and send my kids to the public schools. Many of my old classmates have also moved back, and are sending their kids to the public schools. I'd be happy to talk to you about all the questions you raise. You are welcome to email me (kraver@me.com) if you'd like to set up a time to chat.
I also attened an Ivy League school. Who knows if my children will want similiar experience but I do have certain ambitions for them. Did you have many peers that strived for top tier colleges/universities? I would think, even though WP isn't as highly ranked as some of the neighboring districts, there still are kids/parents who do aim for the Ivy's and what not.

As I stated in my original post, I don't care much about where WP ranks among Westchester districts, the racial/socioeconomic diversity, etc. As long as there is a support group of teachers and peers that a certain striving student can relate with and there is a path for those that want to excel, I would feel good about settling down in WP, despite some of the people I know in the area who think going to any district other than Scarsdale/Edgemont/Chappaqua is a detriment to their kids future. All of them, by the way, are transplants from other parts of the country, so I can understand how they don't want to take any chances, so they buy in Scarsdale/Edgemont/Chappaqua/etc site unseen just going with the reputation.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 PM

34 posts, read 55,589 times
Yes, I had many peers who went to top tier colleges/universities. I was one of four from my WPHS class to attend Penn, and there were numerous others who attended highly-ranked schools. More importantly - from my perspective at least - my classmates whose top talents were in areas other than academics were able to "find their niche." Now, almost 20 years out of high school, my former high school classmates include some folks who became lawyers, doctors, and bankers, as well as folks with a variety of other jobs: teachers, cops, restaurant managers, software developers, etc. At college, I became friendly with many people from Scarsdale / Edgemont / Chappaqua / Rye Brook, and, knowing what I know about their upbringings and mine, nobody can convince me that the education is "better" in any of those districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County