U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,846,378 times

Advertisements

Libertarian1776:
Quote:
"I don't own a firearm, but I support others wanting to protect their families."
I love your attitude! A big thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM

SandyJet:
Quote:
"Not all gun owners should have guns even if they are not criminals and have permits. This guy should be cut off"
If this guy is as bad as you say he is. Can you prove it? If so then why didn't you report him to the proper authorities? If not then you are part of the problem. I don't understand what's wrong with playing around with jet skies, bikes and cars? How do you know how many beers he drinks? You seem to have an intimate knowledge about what goes on a few blocks away from you. Especially someone who you probably never associated with. You might be better off paying more attention as to what goes on under your own roof.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:21 PM

4,539 posts, read 4,798,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
SandyJet:

If this guy is as bad as you say he is. Can you prove it? If so then why didn't you report him to the proper authorities? If not then you are part of the problem. I don't understand what's wrong with playing around with jet skies, bikes and cars? How do you know how many beers he drinks? You seem to have an intimate knowledge about what goes on a few blocks away from you. Especially someone who you probably never associated with. You might be better off paying more attention as to what goes on under your own roof.

My daughter when she was young (four years old) got invited on a playdate over there from a kid from class. The Mom and Daughter seemed normal but we did not know the husband or house and dont drop off four year old girls at houses we dont know. Anyhow daughter wanted to go so wife said yes but wanted to go inside first to check it our and only leave if she felt confortable.

Dad was home, unusual at is was lunch time on a school day and he decided while his four year old daughter was having a play date and his infant son was sleeping was a good time to take out his gun collection for cleaning and had rifles and guns out in open on dining room table. My wife asks his wife is he going to put it away and she goes it is his day off and I dont like to bother him, plus we will be down in basement. Wife is about to leave but walks to basement which has dead animals every where as he stuff what he kills and mounts them on wall. At this time my wife says she is not confortable with her daughter being in a house with guns out in open and left.

Turns out he is one of those guys who is a big child himself, never helps out with kids, never goes or does anything with kids. Always playing on jet skis or boats. Wife is a like a 1950s wife who does all the work and is scared of him. He actually looks a little scary.

My uncles were cops. As kids we were at many a party at their house. Handgun, locked in a safe that was hidden. Uncles were fully trained in gun use. This was very different. He technically is doing nothing illegal.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:59 PM

Sandy Jet:
Quote:
"He technically is doing nothing illegal."
Then leave him alone. I'm betting that the guns were field stripped for cleaning and as such presented no danger to anyone. I have often cleaned guns on my own dining room table when someone unexpectedly drops by. I'm not a hunter, I have nothing against it providing it's legal. I really don't know much about hunting but I would guess that since he stuffs them and hangs them on the wall it would not be unusual for the dead animals or their parts to be around. I'm sure he probably eats what he hunts and uses as much of the animal as he can. Good for him. Why waste it? Besides you are entering his territory and on his day off and as long as he is doing nothing illegal you have no business telling him what he can do in his own home or on his own free time. My advise to you would be to not go over there if you are offended by this man's legitimate hobbies. Evidently his wife is still with him and he is probably working his ass off to provide for his family. Maybe he doesn't have that much free time so his wife understands and doesn't want to bother him. You say she's scared of him, have you ever heard them argue? Has he ever hit her or threatened her with violence? I know a few scary looking people, looks can be deceiving as they are the nicest people you'd ever want to know. It's obvious you don't like this person or what they are doing in their spare time. You are doing all you can to make that person out to be some sort of monster. Ever watch "To Kill a Mockingbird"? Ever hear of "Boo Radley"?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM

9 posts, read 10,096 times
Thanks for all of the input thus far! It is nice to get a lot of different opinions!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 PM

815 posts, read 1,980,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Sandy Jet:

Then leave him alone. I'm betting that the guns were field stripped for cleaning and as such presented no danger to anyone. I have often cleaned guns on my own dining room table when someone unexpectedly drops by. I'm not a hunter, I have nothing against it providing it's legal. I really don't know much about hunting but I would guess that since he stuffs them and hangs them on the wall it would not be unusual for the dead animals or their parts to be around. I'm sure he probably eats what he hunts and uses as much of the animal as he can. Good for him. Why waste it? Besides you are entering his territory and on his day off and as long as he is doing nothing illegal you have no business telling him what he can do in his own home or on his own free time. My advise to you would be to not go over there if you are offended by this man's legitimate hobbies. Evidently his wife is still with him and he is probably working his ass off to provide for his family. Maybe he doesn't have that much free time so his wife understands and doesn't want to bother him. You say she's scared of him, have you ever heard them argue? Has he ever hit her or threatened her with violence? I know a few scary looking people, looks can be deceiving as they are the nicest people you'd ever want to know. It's obvious you don't like this person or what they are doing in their spare time. You are doing all you can to make that person out to be some sort of monster. Ever watch "To Kill a Mockingbird"? Ever hear of "Boo Radley"?
Wow, you certainly "know" a lot about this guy! Let's just call you Sherlock from now on!!!

Maybe we can stick to facts and personal observations from now on??? It will be more helpful to the OP.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 AM

streetsmart:
Quote:
"Wow, you certainly "know" a lot about this guy! Let's just call you Sherlock from now on!!!"
Wow, "Sandy Jet" seems to know all the intimate details about someone who lives a block away from him and who's daughter only went on a play date there. He already admits he doesn't know them so how does he know that his wife is scared of him or how many beers he drinks? "Sandy Jet" is repulsed by his neighbors legitimate hobbies so he seeks to demonize him and resorts to derogatory name calling such as "white trashy gun nut". There's a word for that and it's called bigotry. Unless someone is engaged in illegal activity it's none of "Sandy Jet's" or yours for that matter business what that individual is doing in their own home and on their own time. Let alone pass judgement on them. You don't have to be "Sherlock Holmes" to figure that out. Those are the "facts". Let's just call you IDIOT!

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-11-2014 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 12:46 PM

You're a classy guy. Wow. I'm sure you clean your collection of guns on the dining room table in the middle of the day when your daughter is having a friend over for a play date too. Because that's normal.

Why do you care so much about this guy? You don't like the idea of someone looking down on a person because they clean their guns on the dining room table when people are over??? How many people have to get shot in their own home by their own guns before you might start to think this isn't a good idea?

Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM

streetsmart:
As long as it's legal, what I do in my own home on my own time is really none of your or anyone else's GD business. It's not that I care so much about "this guy" it's that I will continue to fight against people like you who feel that they have the right to tell people how they should live their lives according to your standards and demonize all that don't. I'm guessing that you are a Democrat. If you so choose to live in a "nanny state" so be it. You can wallow in your own excrement. I'm just so glad that I got the hell out of there, mainly because of people like you.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 PM

Yes I'm a Democrat. Just registered to vote! I grew up in Canada so that probably tells you where I stand on the political spectrum. I'll take my "nanny state" any day of the week over your short-sighted, narrow-minded, don't tread on me me me, it's all about me attitude.

The fact that you put your second amendment rights over common sense says it all. No no, don't let me tell you where and when to clean your guns. Heck, why don't you have a gun cleaning playdate with your kids? Sounds like fun!

Thank you for leaving New York. You obviously realized that you don't fit in here because there are more people here who think and feel as I do. Your attitude and the fact that you left NY should say a lot to the OP about their original question on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or