U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:52 PM

404 posts, read 522,655 times

Advertisements

I grew up in lower Westchester, live in Dallas, visit Austin and NY often. Because there are so many different opinions in NY, you can fit in anywhere. Most of the extreme liberalism is from people who read about it in articles and books; many don't understand the other side of the liberal coin. NONE of that will matter if you move to New York-you will find your people.

However, all the little laws and parking crap and permits for this and that can become oppressive. The government starts feeling like all the native people that meet the tourists from a cruise ship; ...'how can I get a little more money out of you?' You don't get the feeling that the government tries to help the population at all, just makes life more difficult.

OK-but-you will find the funniest people in New York. The culture and the conversation just whirls around with witty phrases and entertaining stories. Really, that's the one thing that you won't find in Texas. People do great imitations, quote movies, do impressions of celebrities, and, the arts are so much more appreciated. Art, music and theater are the kings in NY, where in Texas, the arts are what you do when you lose your job.

75k is not a lot of money in NY. However, if you want to get the NY bug out of your system, rent an apartment in a not-too-tony suburb and take the train into Manhattan. You may be shocked at how cool it looks in movies, and how bad it smells in person. You may love it, warts and all, or you may wonder to yourself what all the mystique is about.

Go to Yonkers, Fleetwood, Hastings, Mamaroneck, and rent for a while. It will be a great experience either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM

287 posts, read 503,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I grew up in lower Westchester, live in Dallas, visit Austin and NY often. Because there are so many different opinions in NY, you can fit in anywhere. Most of the extreme liberalism is from people who read about it in articles and books; many don't understand the other side of the liberal coin. NONE of that will matter if you move to New York-you will find your people.

However, all the little laws and parking crap and permits for this and that can become oppressive. The government starts feeling like all the native people that meet the tourists from a cruise ship; ...'how can I get a little more money out of you?' You don't get the feeling that the government tries to help the population at all, just makes life more difficult.

OK-but-you will find the funniest people in New York. The culture and the conversation just whirls around with witty phrases and entertaining stories. Really, that's the one thing that you won't find in Texas. People do great imitations, quote movies, do impressions of celebrities, and, the arts are so much more appreciated. Art, music and theater are the kings in NY, where in Texas, the arts are what you do when you lose your job.

75k is not a lot of money in NY. However, if you want to get the NY bug out of your system, rent an apartment in a not-too-tony suburb and take the train into Manhattan. You may be shocked at how cool it looks in movies, and how bad it smells in person. You may love it, warts and all, or you may wonder to yourself what all the mystique is about.

Go to Yonkers, Fleetwood, Hastings, Mamaroneck, and rent for a while. It will be a great experience either way.
This is pretty accurate. Every type of belief system (religious and political) exist around here. Iv even met several mormons. You won't feel out of,place here because there is no ONE indentity. You have Polish sects, Italian areas, Irish, Anglo-Saxon, Hispanic and Black. Although I am in opposition to liberal beliefs (90% of them anyway) I have many friends who would categorize themselves as such, and it doesn't change our friendship. Afterall, most people really just want to live their lives in peace and aren't interested in arguing trivial subjects. You have Republicans, Democrats, Independents and people who have no idea what they believe lol. Westchester is beautiful and each town has its slightly different personality.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 AM

17 posts, read 16,628 times
Yes it is my opinion that Carmel is living in the boonies in comparison to the other places you are talking about (ie Queens).
If you are looking to live right outside the NYC area with easy mass transit, you may consider towns like New Rochelle, Pelham (more upscale) Harrison and especially White Plains which is a "city" within itself. You can find "affordable" housing that may fit within a 75K income if you buckle down and look. You can Def find apartments in New Ro that are affordable.
Good luck to you.

on a side note I am a life long NY girl looking to hightail it out of here to NC by end of year

Old 08-02-2014, 10:19 AM

2,009 posts, read 4,379,448 times
I see what you're saying in your reply here, but ultimately isn't Wall Street the true "king" of NY ? If it wasn't for the revenue & profit generated from the financial sector in NY, would the arts & fashion industries even be sustainable? I'm just trying to play devil's advocate for a second here. This is not an endorsement of Wall Street lol. Without those fat bonuses, how can you have "models & bottles" in the City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post

Old 08-02-2014, 06:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,202,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I see what you're saying in your reply here, but ultimately isn't Wall Street the true "king" of NY ? If it wasn't for the revenue & profit generated from the financial sector in NY, would the arts & fashion industries even be sustainable? I'm just trying to play devil's advocate for a second here. This is not an endorsement of Wall Street lol. Without those fat bonuses, how can you have "models & bottles" in the City?
Of course it would. The recent exponential and criminal of wall street is just that - pretty recent. 30 years ago they were just another industry in NY, along with advertising, media, fashion, etc etc etc. Ditto 30 years before that.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,475,461 times
Actually it's the gov't sector that's the largest employer in NYC (financial sector is #2). If you want to know what sustains other industries, you know where to look.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:24 AM

47 posts, read 30,121 times
Begin with the outer boroughs: Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens
You can get a lot of bang for your buck especially in the rental market.

I can only speak on the Bronx so here are a few areas worth checking out:
  • Riverdale
  • Pelham (Indian Village)
  • Morris Park
  • Moshulou (several great places in the right neighborhood)
  • Norwood (several great places in the right neighborhood)

Then check out lower Westchester
  • Pelham
  • North Mount Vernon (Fleetwood)
  • Yonkers (depending on neighborhood)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or