Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM

14 posts, read 111,190 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,
i just drove my little rv here from Orlando, FL and am looking to get a job quickly. i have been dying to move to nyc for years. i am staying with a friend in a little town called Hyde Park, (near Poughkeepsie) and dont want to wear out my welcome. i have a masters in MIS, and a little web designer experience, but i figured the fastest job to get would be in some kind of phone work, Tech Support, Help Desk, or Admin-Clerical. I also need to find a cheap place to live. ( i am open to commuting from upstate, or living in Flatbush, where i have a cousin, as i actually love rural areas AND city culture) But a job first. 2nd question i want to go into the City to find a job (and SIGHTSEE!), but what is the best way to get to NYC cheaply, a. take the Metro-North train, b. Take a bus? c. Drive halfway then take a train? 3rd question. How safe is my van camper at the Train Station if i decide to take to NYC? all day and into the late night. Thanks guys for your help! IF anyone needs advice on moving to Florida i lived there for 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 08:20 AM

15 posts, read 85,965 times
Try hudsonvalleyhelpwanted.com, I think thats the website. Google it if it doesnt work. As far as going to the city, I would take the train, there is a train station in Poughkeepsie thats a metro north I think, which is only 15-20 south of hyde Park. In Hyde Park, there are affordable houses out there, also in the surrounding areas, good luck searching, and welcome to NY.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:05 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
They have computers in Dutchess County!?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:47 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
While I suppose Dutchess is nearer NYC than Florida, I wouldn't call it 'near' NYC....Especially in winter, when the Taconic turns into a bobsled run.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:11 AM

THANK YOU WESTCHESTERFAN:-) mead, i have seen a few! and yes Viralmd, i have been having anxiety driving on the ice and snow. and in the rain and fog on these curvy roads. thank God its just a small van camper. i came here because i have a friend living in Hyde Park, and i have anxiety about being on my own in the rv. But i realize i like the flexibility of moving around, and am looking for cheap campgrounds and other places to park at night. This traveling around thing is kinda fun! but i really must get a job soon before the money runs out. so i'm going to check out that website now

Old 12-24-2007, 10:36 PM

31 posts, read 55,691 times
May I ask... why did you choose NY? I mean Florida weather and you choose NY... just wondering.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 PM

44 posts, read 161,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysawfan View Post
Hi Everybody,
i just drove my little rv here from Orlando, FL and am looking to get a job quickly. i have been dying to move to nyc for years. i am staying with a friend in a little town called Hyde Park, (near Poughkeepsie) and dont want to wear out my welcome. i have a masters in MIS, and a little web designer experience, but i figured the fastest job to get would be in some kind of phone work, Tech Support, Help Desk, or Admin-Clerical. I also need to find a cheap place to live. ( i am open to commuting from upstate, or living in Flatbush, where i have a cousin, as i actually love rural areas AND city culture) But a job first. 2nd question i want to go into the City to find a job (and SIGHTSEE!), but what is the best way to get to NYC cheaply, a. take the Metro-North train, b. Take a bus? c. Drive halfway then take a train? 3rd question. How safe is my van camper at the Train Station if i decide to take to NYC? all day and into the late night. Thanks guys for your help! IF anyone needs advice on moving to Florida i lived there for 30 years.

The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park has a few openings at the moment in their IT department... I know this because I just moved from the area! PM me if you need more info.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:25 PM

i have had 30 years of Florida weather. Enough of suffocatiing heat. Cars so hot you must wait to sit in them. cant go to the park for mosquitoes and HEAT! dont get me wrong. during the winter it can be nice. but even then it can be hot! plus i want to be closer to Manhattan. the excitement. take some writing classes and write a novel or something. and the crime seems to be moving to Orlando from up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County