Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 50,386 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Heritage Hills condos in Somers? The prices for them are so excellent, it almost seems too good to be true. Are there much young people there? (My husband and I are in our late 20's/early 30's) Any other information anyone would have about them? Would you recommend this as a good place to live, as condos go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Heritage Hills used to be an age restricted community, 55+, so it used to attract more reitrees than younger couples. I would still say that the demographics are heavily in favor of the origins of the community, though you are now free to buy if you are not an active adult/retiree. From what I know of the community, it is a well managed/maintained complex with many popular amenities, including shuttle bus to the train.

The only downside that I can see, from the perspective of a non-retiree/active adult (need a few decades for that status) is the community is huge, and very quiet. There's not much to do in Somers, so it might be too quiet, but the community has its own recreational amenities. You also have to like contemporary architecture, not the vernacular styles of Northern Westchester/Southern New England. The only other concern I would have if I were looking there is the condo fees and taxes can add up to the cost of a higher mortgage on a more expensive property. And, as some of the units date to the 1970s, there may be assessments/higher fees for building maintenance/renovation, which is something to consider as well.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-02-2011, 05:40 PM

186 posts, read 470,744 times
The above poster has stated great issues, ones you should consider. I"d be happy to put you in contact with someone who lives there to get their perspective, and also I can connect you with a Realtor who specializes in that complex, if you are currently not working with one. There are sooooo many different floorplans within that complex, and they vary greatly in age. Some will need updates, some not. Some will have easy access to garages, others do not. There's alot to consider.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM

9 posts, read 50,386 times
Thank you both very much for the information! That is really helpful. Bluidblonde, Thank you very much for the offer on further info. I am still doing some online research on where in Westchester I want to be and haven't made the leap yet to want to start pursuing things seriously/in person - But I'll keep you offer for getting in contact with those folks in mind! I appreciate it!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM

44 posts, read 110,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
From what I know of the community, it is a well managed/maintained complex with many popular amenities, including shuttle bus to the train.
How can I get the schedule for the shuttle service? Would you know which station that might be? Purdy's? Croton Falls? I'm looking at a google map.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 7,912 times
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]We are planning on moving to Heritage Hills soon – we are at our early 30th, have a 5 months old baby boy. Does anyone suggest moving there at our age? I am planning to stay home with a baby for about a year – is it going to be too quiet? Any activities for our age? Kids care? Thank you very much in advance for responses![/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 05-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiyagi View Post
How can I get the schedule for the shuttle service? Would you know which station that might be? Purdy's? Croton Falls? I'm looking at a google map.
I just saw your post. The station that is used is Croton Falls, IIRC. I would ask the management office for a schedule. They should be able to direct you even as a prospective purchaser.

City-Data FAQs

Old 05-12-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia D View Post
[SIZE=3]We are planning on moving to Heritage Hills soon – we are at our early 30th, have a 5 months old baby boy. Does anyone suggest moving there at our age? I am planning to stay home with a baby for about a year – is it going to be too quiet? Any activities for our age? Kids care? Thank you very much in advance for responses![/SIZE]
It would be a bit more quiet in the community, but you're only a few minutes from Somers, Katonah, etc., such that I am sure you would find activities and other SAHPs. If you like the community, it should not be much of an issue.

City-Data FAQs

Old 05-13-2011, 01:36 PM

92 posts, read 359,422 times
Make sure you check what the Maintenance Fees and taxes are as well. Considering some of the homes there are standalone, the taxes may be higher than a normal condo. Add that with an HOA, which with the amenities, may be somewhat high, and it may make the pricing less attractive.

Sorry to be a downer, just want to make sure you are able to accurately figure out what the monthly fee will be

Old 09-01-2014, 06:00 PM

14 posts, read 29,833 times
Heritage Hills condos are over-priced and aren't selling well lately. The age restriction has been lifted and a different type of resident is now becoming the norm. Within the last two years 2 convicted sex offenders have moved there and a major drug dealer was arrested in his Heritage Hills residence...changing world...huge drug problem in Somers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County