U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:36 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,089,200 times

Advertisements

So you guys have to tack on 1500 a month on top of your mortgage payment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 01:50 PM

89 posts, read 87,188 times
Yes. My property tax payment is higher than my mortgage payment. I pay the town directly. I don't escrow the taxes. We are trying to figure out where to go from here! Anywhere else will be less costly (in terms of property taxes).

Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,218,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaatric View Post
Yes it is but it is cheaper than Westchester (from what I understand).
Depends. There are a LOT of houses on N Westchester with lower taxes than that - myself and all of my neighbors, in fact. Mine are about $11k.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,846,378 times
Lisaatric:
Quote:
We are trying to figure out where to go from here!
For your sake hopefully out of New York! Four years ago we were paying $11,000 a year on an 1100 sq. ft house on a half acre in Peekskill, Peekskill!

Old 09-23-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Lisaatric:

For your sake hopefully out of New York! Four years ago we were paying $11,000 a year on an 1100 sq. ft house on a half acre in Peekskill, Peekskill!
What a monumentally unhelpful response. If you can afford it and like the area, then no problem. If you can't or don't, then pack it in. It's about the arithmetic AND what your reason to be here is.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Depends. There are a LOT of houses on N Westchester with lower taxes than that - myself and all of my neighbors, in fact. Mine are about $11k.
Yeah but still, if you divide 11,000 by 12 that's roughly 916 a month. So if you had a mortgage of 1,000 a month, then tack on 916 for the taxes, 1,916 dollars a month. So just to cover your monthly housing costs you would have to take roughly 479 dollars per week out of your paycheck to go toward your monthly expense.

So how do you afford New York? I guess with a 2 income family, buying a decent certified pre-owned vehicle instead of brand new would also save you cash. If your significant other along with yourself didn't need to live near or have to work in NYC then you would save money.

Also keep in my mind that you can achieve quality of life on a budget, there are always restaurants offering deals, museums, hiking, Army football games are fun and cost nowhere near what an NFL game would cost.

So on paper New York technically is affordable depending on location and monthly gross take home pay. I personally would probably do well in New York cause I have no desire to live NYC nor as a technician do I have a need to work in NYC. Skilled workers in the mechanical field can pretty much get a job anywhere.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM

So in theory you are basically paying to live near Manhattan and the problem is Manhattan is not the state of New York, it's a city in the state of New York. So unless you are in media, law, fashion or finance, why in the world would you choose to live close to Manhattan and pay excessively high tax rates?

You go where the jobs and quality of life are. Manhattan is strictly business, it's only existence is to serve big business, if you are in an occupation that does not demand you to work in or live near by, then there is no good reason to pay those taxes.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
So in theory you are basically paying to live near Manhattan and the problem is Manhattan is not the state of New York, it's a city in the state of New York. So unless you are in media, law, fashion or finance, why in the world would you choose to live close to Manhattan and pay excessively high tax rates?

You go where the jobs and quality of life are. Manhattan is strictly business, it's only existence is to serve big business, if you are in an occupation that does not demand you to work in or live near by, then there is no good reason to pay those taxes.
Thanks for that penetrating insight.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:42 PM

Well it makes sense. My house in Virginia I pay 950 a month, I'm 70 miles from DC. I don't work in politics, I don't work in non profit, I don't work in defense contacting, and being a military veteran I could, but I don't want to have to look for a job every 36 months.

My point is if I moved 40 miles north I would pay more for the same size house I have now that I pay less on. If I don't do politics, non-profit, or defense work, then it would make no sense to pay more just so I can say i live closer to DC.

DC is a great place to visit but just like Manhattan I don't want to live there either.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:52 PM

The word we're looking for here is called common sense. The idea behind all this is just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. We bring in a little over 100k ourselves but why spend it all when I can live in a nice little community with cheaper housing and have more money in the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or