Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 AM

2,617 posts, read 7,008,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
To oversimplify but stick to the OP's point, if you renovate your house the municipality can reassess. So if house B had 100k in renovations, expect to pay 10k more in taxes.
....and this is where it can get dodgey. if you stuff that requires a permit, which is pretty much anything involving moving walls, plumbing or electrical, they can come after you. However, if you're doing "repairs" - which might include a new kitchen with new floor, new cabinets, repainting entire interior, new siding or a great many other things - it much harder to make the case for reassessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:09 AM

10,511 posts, read 6,131,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
To oversimplify but stick to the OP's point, if you renovate your house the municipality can reassess. So if house B had 100k in renovations, expect to pay 10k more in taxes.

I always think this is a crazy system as you would think it would discourage people from renovating their houses. IMO property tax should be based on the square footage of the house and square footage of the lot, which surely would be a fairer system.
I'm considering buying a house which needs an absolute ton of work but concerned about the hoick in property tax afterwards.
It's the same system where I live here (I assume this is common practice across the US?). My last realtor told me you have to lie through your teeth when they ask how much your renovations cost (apparently they don't ask for proof). Seems like a crazy system to me.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:13 AM

28,111 posts, read 63,536,638 times
^^^Sound like it's time for tax reform...

What about property tax based on purchase price and an annual inflation escalator?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 AM

10,511 posts, read 6,131,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

What about property tax based on purchase price and an annual inflation escalator?
Yes it's tricky and I guess there is never going to be any absolute way of establishing fair property tax.

I do remember back in the UK, I had just started work when Margaret Thatcher introduced the Poll tax. She wanted to scrap property tax and introduced a system so that all adults were taxed an equal rate set by their local council. Absolutely crazy. What this essentially meant was that an adult living alone in a 6 bed mansion could be paying the same tax as someone living in a studio apartment. It did not take into account income levels either but it very much favoured the rich. The tax was so unpopular that there were riots in the streets and there was widespread non-payment in protest. In fact non-payment was so widespread that authorities couldn't even prosecute. The tax was soon scrapped and returned to a council tax or property tax based on the size and location of the property.
Lessons learned...

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM

2,617 posts, read 7,008,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

LOL. Unfortunately this is the "Westchester" forum, not the "Fairy Tales and Social Justice" forum.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:57 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,541,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
Oh boy...here we go

And the word is "lose."

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...14/170/d3c.png

Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,565,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
....and this is where it can get dodgey. if you stuff that requires a permit, which is pretty much anything involving moving walls, plumbing or electrical, they can come after you. However, if you're doing "repairs" - which might include a new kitchen with new floor, new cabinets, repainting entire interior, new siding or a great many other things - it much harder to make the case for reassessment.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County