Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 PM

48 posts, read 87,366 times

Advertisements

I would like to take my wife for a fall foliage drive 2-3 hours away. Need suggestion as to where we could go to experience the fall colors. So far I found the berkshires. Any more suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,461,048 times
If you're just looking to do a day trip, a drive up the Taconic Parkway into Columbia county can be nice when the colors are changing (too early for that now, though). I used to like to drive into a small town off the Taconic called Spencertown. There was a small general store or deli there that sold homemade pies. It's been a long time since I've been around there, so I don't know if it's still there.

You could also drive up the NY Thruway (or the Taconic, but then you have to head west for a while) to New Paltz. If you've never been there, New Paltz is a small college town (State University of New York at New Paltz) with some cool little restaurants and shops. There's a biking trail that goes right through the town if you're so inclined. It's also a popular spot for rock climbing. If you feel like staying overnight, the historic Mohonk Mountain House is in the area. They even have fall foliage getaways there: Fall Foliage | Mohonk Mountain House

If you expand your driving range by about 30 minutes or so, you could drive up to Lake George, which has a variety of lodging choices available to you, including the luxurious Sagamore resort. The Sagamore offers a fall dining package: http://www.thesagamore.com/es3461/ca...-package/lang1

Old 09-20-2014, 02:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,461,048 times
I drove up the Taconic Parkway this morning on my way to Red Hook in Dutchess county. There is some color here and there, but not a lot. Still a few weeks from peak color. Make sure you do some checking on where the foliage is at it's peak (or expected to be) before you plan your trip.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:53 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,023,977 times
At this point you probably need to drive fairly far into the Catskills or Adirondacks to see much color... you could try taking 17 out to route 206 in Roscoe and heading north from there, or 87 up to exit 19 in Kingston and heading west on route 28.

The Berkshires are still a couple of weeks from peak, but that would be a great scenic trip otherwise - you can take the Taconic up to Hillsdale (route 23) and drive into Mass on back roads.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Thank you all. I appreciate your time and suggestions

Old 09-26-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leofox View Post
Fall Foliage in New York | Autumn Leaves, Scenic Drives

Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM

2,196 posts, read 2,115,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leofox View Post
Sunday I had to drive up to Poughkeepsie and it was looking really good. We drove up Rt 9 through Garrison. I would suggest going up to Clod Springs and grabbing a bite and checkign out the little antique shops, then drive up on either side of the river. Its great right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County