Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:21 AM

30 posts, read 114,666 times

Advertisements

And thanks to all the other posters for your great comment/input -- I am still reading/catching up!

ckhthankgod -- thanks for the great links to statistics/censusl info... truly interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMTAG View Post
I can't speak for anyone else here, but that is not the sense I got from other posters, I think they were just being honest about the prevailing demographic of a particular neighborhood, and the fact that, that in itself can pose issues.

I know people can be protective of where they grew up and sometimes sensitive, but it's important to be objective too. You seem to have had a great experience growing up, but that may not be the case for everyone who lived/went to school in similar neighborhoods. I personally know a lot of people -- family included -- who went to schools in places like Mt. Vernon and did NOT have a good time of it. So, their leeriness exists for a reason. Just as your lack of leeriness reflects your personal experience.

Of course, any given neighborhood, even ones with a larger minority population, can still have people of varying ethnicities live there as well (as you'd mentioned was the case for you growing up). But I think the question is that if one neighborhood comprises a predominent ethnic group -- a truly overriding one -- then how is it truly diverse?
I think it depends on the volume or to what degree and the diversity may vary in composition by section/neighborhood. Fleetwood is actually a mostly White and diverse part of Mount Vernon that buts up against Bronxville and Yonkers. Here are the census tracts for that neighborhood/section: Census Tract 003800 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 004500 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 003900 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 004400 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 004200 in Westchester County, New York

Census Tract 003700 in Westchester County, New York

So, it appears that the neighborhood/section has variety within it as well.

There is a map in this entry that shows the neighborhoods of Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just for reference purposes, here are some census tracts in Forest Hills: Census Tract 073700 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 074900 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 073900 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 075702 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 064500 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 070700 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 070900 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 074100 in Queens County, New York

Census Tract 071303 in Queens County, New York

11375 Zip Code

Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
I know people can be protective of where they grew up and sometimes sensitive, but it's important to be objective too.
My defensive tone was not related to my protectiveness. My defensiveness was in response to hilltopjay and Forest_Hills_Daddy's assertions that I have no idea what I am talking about despite my personal experience and data which I have presented in this thread (with link to source) regarding the ethnic/linguistic diversity of Fleetwood, Mt. Vernon, NY. (That and their snarky arrogance and thinly veiled racism.)

Quote:
Of course, any given neighborhood, even ones with a larger minority population, can still have people of varying ethnicities live there as well (as you'd mentioned was the case for you growing up). But I think the question is that if one neighborhood comprises a predominent ethnic group -- a truly overriding one -- then how is it truly diverse?
You say you put a premium on objectivity so here is some objectivity: The White population of Mt.Vernon is concentrated in the 10552 zip code (reflected in the language chart I posted above) and is about 17,000 people. There are 18,000 in the zip code total meaning Fleetwood is about 5% Black. How is that, in your words, "A predominent[sic] ethnic group --a truly overriding one--"

Fleetwood is a neighborhood about the size of Scarsdale in population and it borders Bronxville and Pelham, two of the wealthiest and oh, so Whitest villages in the county. It is hardly Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Finally, to address hilltopjay's patently false statement that "the first people that smack you in the face when you enter Mt. Vernon are Blacks" (oh, and I want to thank hilltopjay for toning back his rhetoric and using such a diplomatic, neutral phrasing). I assure you when you take a right on Pondfield Road in Bronxville and travel a half a mile to the middle of Fleetwood's shopping and restaurant district, you will encounter all kinds of people from all over the world, mostly, as it happens, not Black. You may very well also, undoubtedly to hilltop's distress and dismay, encounter Black people as well. The key is to act natural. And I don't mean by clutching your handbag to your chest and shouting to your 5-year old, "Run Joshua, run!"

Anyway, I am sure Fleetwood is not for you. There are plenty of upscale racially segregated neighborhoods with artisinal bagel shops, 'authentic' Bikram yoga taught by WASPS, and 'safe' ethnic restaurants where the darker workers live far away and take two buses and a subway to get home so as not to despoil your stroller marathons.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 09-19-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 09-19-2014, 03:22 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Convict, (nice name by the way. Wonder if it's indicative of any past), you need to relax and accept that Mt. Vernon is a sh** hole with the exception of Fleetwood. But shockingly enough, the more desirable area of Mt. Vernon (Fleetwood) is majority non-black yet the most undesirable parts of Mt. Vernon IS majority black. Coincidence? I think not. Not a racist, but just stating facts. Facts you may find inconvenient, but facts nonetheless. So don't get mad and start throwing the typical race card out. Now, while technically Fleetwood is part of Mt. Vernon, let's face it, culturally it's not in the same boat as the rest of the crap hole Mt. Vernon. Fleetwood is NOT the hood, however, the parts of Mt. Vernon IS the hood. See my point? If Fleetwood residents were to have a vote to be removed from Mt. Vernon and be part of neighboring Yonkers and Bronxville, they'd do it in a heartbeat. I wonder why?

Old 09-20-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Convict, (nice name by the way. Wonder if it's indicative of any past), you need to relax and accept that Mt. Vernon is a sh** hole with the exception of Fleetwood. But shockingly enough, the more desirable area of Mt. Vernon (Fleetwood) is majority non-black yet the most undesirable parts of Mt. Vernon IS majority black. Coincidence? I think not. Not a racist, but just stating facts. Facts you may find inconvenient, but facts nonetheless. So don't get mad and start throwing the typical race card out. Now, while technically Fleetwood is part of Mt. Vernon, let's face it, culturally it's not in the same boat as the rest of the crap hole Mt. Vernon. Fleetwood is NOT the hood, however, the parts of Mt. Vernon IS the hood. See my point? If Fleetwood residents were to have a vote to be removed from Mt. Vernon and be part of neighboring Yonkers and Bronxville, they'd do it in a heartbeat. I wonder why?
I'm a convict because I have conviction :-) I am and always have been free as the free bird.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I'm a convict because I have conviction :-) I am and always have been free as the free bird.
Ummm, yeah ok...if you say so.

Anyhow, I must say, you do a good job in dodging questions from my previous post. But its ok, I get it. Its tough to argue against something that is blatantly obvious.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 09-20-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Great! I bet the stroller army from Brooklyn is ready to flock to Mt. Vernon for its rich "diversity".
These Park Slope/Brooklyn phonies live in one of the wealthier and least diverse neighborhoods in New York City.

They love black people, they love Hispanics, they are liberal, they are progressive, they think Republicans are racists, they love diversity.

But in reality, diversity is just a concept to them. It's really about high test scores at the elementary school and increasing property values.

Propose to integrate their elementary school by busing half their kids to nearby Sunset Park (no whites), and bus kids from Sunset Park to Park Slope? There would be an insurrection.

And you hit it on the head, Forest Hills Daddy. They are not moving to Mount Vernon/Fleetwood.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:40 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Actually, parts of Fleetwood are mostly/pluralistically Black and I posted census tracts of that area in a previous post. All of the other areas actually have well over 5% Black too.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Anyhow, I must say, you do a good job in dodging questions from my previous post. But its ok, I get it. Its tough to argue against something that is blatantly obvious.
Actually, it just got boring. We each said our piece.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Actually, it just got boring. We each said our piece.
Conveniently boring. I get it. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County