U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 06:00 AM

13 posts, read 29,900 times

Advertisements

Who lives in a suburb within 1 hour train ride of NYC they consider to be friendly, family and community oriented? A place where kids run from house to house, people help each other out, participate in community activities, etc. I might be hoping for too much of a Mr. Rogers neighborhood in this part of the world but thought I'd check... (Budget: under $900K.... ideally a big enough yard to play in)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 AM

661 posts, read 658,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY212 View Post
Who lives in a suburb within 1 hour train ride of NYC they consider to be friendly, family and community oriented? A place where kids run from house to house, people help each other out, participate in community activities, etc. I might be hoping for too much of a Mr. Rogers neighborhood in this part of the world but thought I'd check... (Budget: under $900K.... ideally a big enough yard to play in)

You will find hundreds of neighborhoods like this in Westchester. Its not town specific, its the neighborhood. I live in Cortlandt Manor in a $450,000 home. I go out without locking my door. I never lock my car. I live on a cul-de-sac and you can count on one hand the number of cars driving on my block, so my kids play with the other neighborhood kids without fear of cars. Plus, we have a speed bump at the entrance to the road and signs of kids playing. The kids run from house to house as you say. My neighbors and I are like a family. We go on vacations together, we watch each others kids, and each others back. we loan tools, mow each others lawns when the other is away. Its wonderful. But 10 blocks away, someone might think they live with hermits. Its not the town, its finding these gems. They are all over, but hard to find. Keep looking. At 900k, your budget is very high for northern westchester. But I am sure such hoods exist in the southerns county.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 AM

258 posts, read 771,986 times
We live in Pleasantville. We live on a dead end and the kids play outside on their bikes or in each other's yards daily. It is a small town (@7000 people) and there are a lot of community events. There is an active rec center where kids have pizza movie nights or bingo nights with friends. There are parades for Halloween and Memorial Day and a tree lighting as well as several other holiday activities. It really is a fun, friendly, safe area. If you come to Pleasantville at 4:00, you will see kids out together throughout the town. It is a true walking town with lots of safe areas for kids to run and play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or