Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 06:47 PM

263 posts, read 344,072 times

Advertisements

So we are making an offer on this property in Ardsley (town of Greenburgh),d yes i know there is a ton of information on this forum.... I've read it all!!! I want to know if you know the current parking situation for the nearby MNR train stations to see if this is something that makes sense to us...

Dobbs Ferry (i would be a non-resident)
Hartsdale (I would be a resident)
Scarsdale (I would be a non-resident)
Hastings on Hudson (non resident)

THanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:23 AM

16 posts, read 28,709 times
I live in Edgemont and park in the Scarsdale Freightway garage (as a non-resident). As far as I understand, the applications for the annual passes are accepted only in June, first come, first served. I had no trouble getting the pass after my June application. I think next year I will go for the Hartsdale parking since it's cheaper and the Scarsdale Station is simply too crowded during the rush hours.

By the way, I think the Hartsdale resident commuter permits are not available to Ardsley residents, as Ardsley is not a part of the Unincorporated Town of Greenburgh.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:09 PM

263 posts, read 344,072 times
Default too crowded? ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimension6 View Post
I think next year I will go for the Hartsdale parking since it's cheaper and the Scarsdale Station is simply too crowded during the rush hours.

Interesting... thanks for your response. So when you say it is too crowded... does that mean you end up spending valuable minutes going up the garage, waiting for others to find a spot, then finding a spot yourself?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewyorkers View Post
Interesting... thanks for your response. So when you say it is too crowded... does that mean you end up spending valuable minutes going up the garage, waiting for others to find a spot, then finding a spot yourself?
Actually, driving into the garage is no issue for me in the mornings. The train platform is pretty crowded in the mornings and I usually have to walk to one of the middle train cars to reliably find a seat on the train. Also, leaving the garage in the evening can often take awhile as cars back up out of Freightway (everyone's leaving the garage at the same time). It often takes 5+ minutes to get out of the garage and onto Ardsley Road. I wouldn't let these nitpicks deter you from considering Ardsley, though!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 AM

41 posts, read 71,684 times
Newnewyorkers, we were looking in Ardsley as well over the summer but we found a house a little north of Ardsley in White Plains zipcode that we will be closing on hopefully early next month. Are you in the town limits or Adrsley or are you outside of it? If you are outside, you don't have to pay the village tax. We actually put in an offer for a house like that but we didn't go through with it after the home inspection.

We really liked Ardsley because of its schools and this house that we are closing is zoned for the Ardsley school system.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 28,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimension6 View Post
Actually, driving into the garage is no issue for me in the mornings. The train platform is pretty crowded in the mornings and I usually have to walk to one of the middle train cars to reliably find a seat on the train. Also, leaving the garage in the evening can often take awhile as cars back up out of Freightway (everyone's leaving the garage at the same time). It often takes 5+ minutes to get out of the garage and onto Ardsley Road. I wouldn't let these nitpicks deter you from considering Ardsley, though!
I've never understood why Metro North doesn't just run more trains during the busiest hours. When people complain about the trains being too crowded, the response is usually that there are already 12 cars or that if you move to the center/back of the train you will find seats, but the truth is it's so packed that there are no more seats available and people have to stand in the aisles. If you get there early enough though, you can usually find a seat. Scarsdale station parking is a good option for Ardsley residents.

I was under the impression that Hartsdale offers non-resident parking to Edgemont and Ardsley residents ONLY, at least that's what I was told when I was inquiring about parking at the station a year or two ago. Worth looking into, and that way you can get on the train at an earlier stop to avoid the crowds. Dobbs doesn't offer non-resident parking anymore, but some people find spots around the neighborhood and just walk to the station. It sounds like it could be a good hike though from what I hear. Not sure about the parking situation in Hastings, but another option might be White Plains. A bit further, but they have a big lot and usually if you wait a few months spots eventually become available.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2wstchstr94 View Post
I've never understood why Metro North doesn't just run more trains during the busiest hours. When people complain about the trains being too crowded, the response is usually that there are already 12 cars or that if you move to the center/back of the train you will find seats, but the truth is it's so packed that there are no more seats available and people have to stand in the aisles. If you get there early enough though, you can usually find a seat. Scarsdale station parking is a good option for Ardsley residents.

I was under the impression that Hartsdale offers non-resident parking to Edgemont and Ardsley residents ONLY, at least that's what I was told when I was inquiring about parking at the station a year or two ago. Worth looking into, and that way you can get on the train at an earlier stop to avoid the crowds. Dobbs doesn't offer non-resident parking anymore, but some people find spots around the neighborhood and just walk to the station. It sounds like it could be a good hike though from what I hear. Not sure about the parking situation in Hastings, but another option might be White Plains. A bit further, but they have a big lot and usually if you wait a few months spots eventually become available.
At least in the mornings, I've always found plenty of seats in the middle cars at Scarsdale. My issue is more that the platform itself is really crowded, so much so that it can make walking to the middle cars from the Freightway Garage a hassle.

Edgemont is part of the Unincorporated Town of Greenburgh, which makes it eligible for the Resident Commuter Permits. I believe the Village of Ardsley is not "Unincorporated", so Village residents are not eligible for the resident permits. It looks like there are non-resident permits, though I'm not sure about availability. To make things even more confusing, apparently parts of the Ardsley School District (and possibly PO?) do fall into the Unincorporated Town of Greenburgh...

For what it's worth, I've emailed both Hartsdale and Scarsdale parking authorities a few times in the last year and have always gotten helpful responses, so I'd recommend checking with them before applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County