U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 03:16 PM

831 posts, read 652,148 times

Advertisements

Hey gang , I served as a juror at a federal courthouse in manhattan back in 2010. Now I just get a notice for jury duty in white plains. I thought when serving federal court you get off for 8 years not 4.
Any insight is most welcome Ty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:19 PM

815 posts, read 1,987,501 times
Get your proof of service from Manhattan and send it to White Plains...

Old 10-29-2014, 07:21 AM

687 posts, read 674,755 times
When you say you just got a notice to serve jury duty in White Plains, I assume you mean you got notice to serve in the New York State Court for Westchester County (supreme, civil, city, town or otherwise). There is also a federal court that has people report for jury duty in White Plains (both traditional jury duty and grand jury), so I wanted to be sure I knew what you were asking.

If it is New York State Court jury duty, you should be fine. A person who serves in either State or Federal court in New York is not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for six years. If you were on a trial in 2010 that lasted more than 10 days, you get an extra 2 years and are not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for eight years.

However, if you were summoned for jury duty in the Federal court in white Plains, you have to go. the Federal exemption is only for 2 years, and then only if you appear. If you call in and are told you are excused, you get no exemption.

Check the jury summons for which Court it is and good luck. If it is state court, get the proff of your prior service and send it in, yo will be excused. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:09 AM

367 posts, read 881,279 times
I just did federal recent, it is only 4 years. Maybe back when you did it, they said 8, but its 4 years now. 100% sure about it.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 AM

687 posts, read 674,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I just did federal recent, it is only 4 years. Maybe back when you did it, they said 8, but its 4 years now. 100% sure about it.

I just checked and actually, it depends on the Federal Court that you are called to. In NY there are 4 districts (Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western). Each of these district courts treats the length of time for ineligibility from service differently. The Eastern District, which is down in Brooklyn and serves half of the City and LI (I was talking about Eastern because I work there a lot and am familiar with it, but did not know that there were different rules in each district) excuse from service anyone who has served within two years.

The Southern District (which is the Bronx, Manhattan, Westchester) excuses anyone who has served within four years. So if yuo have served in NY State or any federal court and get called ot White Plains for federal court, it is 4 years. I am sorry I was wrong in my first post, I did not know each district had different rules. In the other 3 districts in NY is in indeed the 2 years that I spoke of.

The 8 year issue is State Court, totally different rules. Thsi one I also checked and I was correct. NY excuses yo for 6 years, and bumps it to 8 if you served for more than 10 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County