Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 PM

80 posts, read 498,024 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell the best town to commute to NYC from westchester. We are looking for less than an hour and good parking. We would like a 4 bedroom house. We currently live on L.I. We like Connecticut, but the parking situation for the train seems bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 04:53 PM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
Default Bring money!

Hi, Carolyn,
We live in Scarsdale, which is very popular with commuters because express trains can get you to Grand Central in about 30 minutes. But parking is a problem (as it is at almost every Metro-North station in Westchester.) There just aren't enough spaces for everyone who wants to park. Scarsdale has one giant parking garage and some parking spaces outside for which you can get a permit--at a cost of about $600-$700 a year, I believe. There is bus service to and from the station, which is what my husband does--we are fortunate in that we live very near a bus stop. The bus is pretty reliable, but there are parts of Scarsdale that aren't on the bus route.
Commuting costs are expensive, too--my husband's monthly ticket is over $200. However, some employers do subsidize that to some extent.
A 4-bedroom house in Scarsdale would cost you at least $700,000, and probably closer to $1 million.
Eastchester is also a close commute to the city, and the homes are slightly cheaper, but the schools are not as good.
There are many other lower Westchester towns that are within an hour's commute of the city, but if you have children and are looking for good schools, you have to take that into account. I would definitely avoid Mt. Vernon and Yonkers. White Plains could be a possibility for you; also Bronxville, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, or Hastings. But housing in all of these towns is extremely expensive.
Karen

Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM

80 posts, read 498,024 times
Default Thank you.

Karen, thank you for all the information. We now have a five minute ride to the train station and parking is not a problem ( It only cost $3.00 a year). It seems that the commute to NYC from either Connecticut or Westchester can be stressful. We were looking to move up that way because my husband's office is close to Grand Central. I guess we will definitely have to do our homework and check all the areas out. A good school district is very important to us.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:14 PM

131 posts, read 792,677 times
Default A few more things

Also, the commuter trains on the New Haven (Connecticut) line are not as well-kept as the ones in Westchester--some issue with part of the funding for their maintenance having to come from the state of CT, which has not wanted to pay it. The trains on that line tend to have more breakdowns, problems like no heat in the winter and no A/C in the summer, more cleanliness issues, etc. The Harlem and Hudson lines in Westchester have been better-maintained and are getting brand-new train cars (which some people actually don't like, as the seats are narrower, etc., but at least they are new and don't break down as often in the snow!)
Westchester generally has very good schools except for a few districts like the ones I mentioned. I think people with kids move here for the schools and then put up with the inconveniences like commuting and parking because the quality of the education is worth it to them. You may be able to find a house near a bus line, as we did, or within walking/biking distance to the train station. Some people also carpool down to the station, or get rides from their spouses
Some stations do have absolutely massive parking lots, like Croton-on-Hudson, but that's more than 30 minutes from Manhattan--about 45 minutes, I think. And there may even be waiting lists for that lot! We used to live in Peekskill, and parking at that station was available and less expensive, but the commute is long (60 minutes) and the schools are problematic.
Good luck!
Karen

Old 11-02-2006, 06:45 PM

19 posts, read 92,016 times
ok you schould relly check out new rochelle the train ride to grand central is only like 20-30 min and parking is on the same block as the train station

Old 06-16-2010, 03:52 PM

33 posts, read 83,546 times
You might also look at the towns that have the most express trains to GCS. Where I currently live, in Harrison-there are many express trains-always a seat-whether peak or off peak. I'm less than 40 min. from the city-very convenient, and my home is less than 10 min. from the train. Although we're selling, we will be looking at other parts of Westchester that offer similar conveniences.
Any additional questions, please feel free to send me your email address. We did some very extensive research before arriving at different locations in Westchester.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

32 posts, read 123,378 times
Like everyone here said, parking at the train station can be tough. Your best bet is to find a house within a reasonable walking distance.

What is your price range? We can then help you narrow down what train stations to consider.

Generally speaking, the "hubs" for Westchester Metro-North trains seem to be North White Plains, White Plains, Croton-Harmon, Tarrytown. Look at their schedules and compare to yours and see what works.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:02 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
This thread is from 2006.........

They've probably moved by now.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:20 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Over $200 a month for a distance of around 20 miles? Around Chicago you'd pay $116.10. Parking, at $1.50 a day, isn't much less. But at least the service is reliable. Talking with some old time Westchester County commuters, back in the 70's when Penn Central (and later Conrail) was running the trains (into the ground) you never knew when the trains were coming.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Is there any way a mod can close a thread like this that has a 4 year bump and probably isn't even being read by the OP? I hate to say it, but not only have they almost certainly already moved, but in this economy and all they may be unemployed and/or in a different part of the country (or living with a relative, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County