Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 465 times

Advertisements

Check out Scrimshaw House, on Water Grant Street, past the restaurant, Xaviar's on the Hudson (X20) The building is a condo, not a co-op, with 24-hour doorman, and close to everything (walkable to train, restaurants, including new, Yonkers Brewery, deli, etc.) unlike the area you're looking into, and on the right side of the tracks, so to speak. I know someone about to list a corner, 2 bed/1.5 bath duplex for sale (high end of $300k range), and it's dog-friendly for owners, but not for renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 AM

29 posts, read 49,027 times
in many of the coops the board will tell you that they do not allow dogs, however if you read the house rules, you may find evidence to the contrary.
the house rules in this coops state that all pets need written permission from the manging company, this includes birds,cats, the board has told people since day one that cats are allowed , yet that is contrary to the written rules,
the written rules also state that all dogs will be on a leash in common areas including elevators, that the leash must be held short to keep the animal from jumping on anyone.
This statement means that dogs are allowed in the building, since it dictates their behavior in common areas.
most of these boards are com[posed of people that have never read the by-laws and proprietary lease,and really looked att the house rules, they listen to the hearsay that have been told them.
I would make sure you read these documents and if you see that it differs from what they tell you, ask your lawyer what you can do. The biggest problem would be barking, that would be a deal breaker and would force removal of the dog. If you can avoid all barking, and the house rules state the control of dogs in common areas and all animals must have written permission, do as i did, move dog in that doesn't bar, in my case a big husky mix, use the stairs to avoid any close quarters confrontation for walks, and if challenged request the copies of the written permission for all the apartments with cats and birds in the building, per the house rules .
i believe in my case we asked for permission first and quoted the house rules, at the same time we requested the apartments that had written permission, to make sure others were also abiding by the house rules, which none were. Again our dog was older and didn't bark, my wife's family could not take care of it anymore, She moved in with me when we were were married.
we were never challenged. Barking would have been the deal breaker.
mes coop board members will try and pull fast ones, knocking on your door and telling you that you cant do such and such, or you have to do this. A board member has zero authority, none. the only time the have authority or board capability is in q board meeting, so if the board want you to do or not do something, it has to be a letter from the board, many coop owners are fooled by this tactic, it is not illegal to ask you to not do something, to tell you to not do something carries as much weight as any owner telling you, meaning zero weight. However boards will try this tactic as people do not understand how it works, unless the board writes and signs off on a letter, it carries no weight, i am not sure if the managing agent sends a letter stating they are speaking for the board, personally i would write back, better fax back for proof of receipt. i would tell the manging agent that i want i signed letter from the board, this way i can take legal action against the board if they are violating the by-laws ,house rules or proprietary lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County