U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM

3,195 posts, read 1,831,385 times

Advertisements

WardEq:
If you go to realtor.com there are plenty of single family homes for sale (not including condo's, co-op's and town homes) in Westchester County that are located in other communities besides those that I've mentioned. All are in the 4-600k price range. These communities also do not have the same "urban issues" as those same communities. Croton alone has 16 homes for sale in that price range. Obviously condo's, co-op's and town homes are a lot cheaper. You do not need $1M or more to spend to avoid those "urban issues". Sure anyone can get a good education in schools that have "urban issues". But the problem with these schools is that their 15 year old daughter will have to put up with other students such as those that come from broken homes that end up causing problems for the other students who have to attend there. I will repeat: Any community that has large segments of impoverished people, children of children, and illegal immigrants have their problems. I have lived in Westchester County for 55 years and am quite familiar with it's communities and which ones have a bad reputation. Unfortunately, Ossining is one of them. Cheerleading aside, let's be honest here. I have no skin in this game and live 2500 miles away. Obviously you and "ANM1982" do.

It sounds to me like the original poster wants to take their daughter out of the Bronx and that type of environment. Otherwise why would they want to leave, yet have easy access to their jobs and or family and friends? Communities in Westchester that have "urban issues" are nothing more than the "Bronx lite" only on a smaller scale.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-02-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:10 AM

87 posts, read 166,520 times
Ex New Yorker: Here is my point...Ossining is a far cry from the Bronx lite environment you describe. I know because I actually live there. The OP would benefit from looking here and I expect they would be much happier with the schools than those in Peekskill which they had mentioned. ANM gave solid advice.

RE the 400-600 range, I never said there were no other options in that range, only that Ossining is an attractive option at those price points whereas you seem to think any town that includes some poorer neighborhoods should immediately be crossed off the list. Towards the higher end, there are options in many towns but in most cases they will be seriously tiny and/or need a LOT of work. At around 400k, I think you will be hard-pressed to find a better situation all-told than Ossining. Croton, one town over, is another great community and I recommend it often. I have good friends there, but they did pay more for their houses. You can definitely find smaller houses in the 4-6 range.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 AM

WardEq:
Simply put, I would not want to put my daughter, if I had one in any school district that as another poster "checkmatechamp13", another cheerleader for Ossining stated:
Quote:
For what it's worth, I know somebody who went to Ossining schools, and he said it wasn't that bad. It had some typical urban school issues, but they had a lot of AP classes and things like that. (Also, look through some of the threads about Ossining to get an idea of the schools s well).
There is a reason that home prices in Ossining and Peekskill are relatively low for Westchester County and that is because the school systems in those places are not that great, and urban blight. This was one of the main reasons why it took so long to sell our home. I moved to Peekskill because it was close to our jobs and it was the only place in Westchester where we could afford to buy a home that suit our personal needs. Having no children, the schools were not an issue. However the school system is a very big issue for anyone who has children.

Re the 400-600 range, here is what you stated:
Quote:
Sure, if you have $1M to spend, you can avoid the question of "urban issues" entirely. That is not in dispute. But for budgets of 4-600k? It is a no-brainer to look at Ossining when you consider the alternatives.
That certainly tells me that you need $1M to spend to avoid urban issues. This is simply not true. Those homes that I looked at in Croton in the 4-600k price range certainly did not look like "fixer uppers". Not only that but a condo may suit their needs which typically sell for a lot less. In addition, if and when the original poster's daughter graduates and if and when the original poster may want to move and sell their home it will be much harder to sell that home in places such as Peekskill, Ossining and the other places that I have mentioned. I understand that because you live there you have a stake in the future of Ossining therefore you encourage people to move there. I don't, I have no skin in the game. I just do not want to see people make the same mistake as I did and move to a town that has a poor school district and urban blight. Especially when there are viable alternatives available. Not only for the sake of their children but for the sake of what will probably be the biggest investment in their lives.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 01-03-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 AM

571 posts, read 667,239 times
Would anyone be able to give an estimate of the yearly property taxes on a $200,000 condo in Peekskill? I know it can vary but I'm looking to get at least an idea of what I may be up against.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 AM

punkfan39126:
We sold our single family home for $285,000, 5 years ago, it was an 1100 sq. ft. home and the taxes were $11,000 a year. I'm guessing and it's only a guess is that yours would probably be 2/3rds of that. Depending on the condo. Hope that helps.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
punkfan39126:
We sold our single family home for $285,000, 5 years ago, it was an 1100 sq. ft. home and the taxes were $11,000 a year. I'm guessing and it's only a guess is that yours would probably be 2/3rds of that. Depending on the condo. Hope that helps.
Holy mackerel!

Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 AM

punkfan39126:
As I said it's only a guess, I only know what we paid for an 1100 sq. ft. 3bd, 1 bath home in Peekskill, N.Y. I do not know if condo's/town homes are taxed differently?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
punkfan39126:
As I said it's only a guess, I only know what we paid for an 1100 sq. ft. 3bd, 1 bath home in Peekskill, N.Y. I do not know if condo's/town homes are taxed differently?
Thanks, yeah there actually isn't very much anecdotal info online.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 12,965 times
I see there's a 1480 sq ft condo in Peekskill listed at $200k with taxes of $5596.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:20 PM

harlemlinehomes:
Quote:
I see there's a 1480 sq ft condo in Peekskill listed at $200k with taxes of $5596.
That's probably more accurate as there is no property involved, yard etc. We also had a 3 car garage as an owner of antique cars, that was the main reason for us buying in Peekskill. Having that just about any where else in Westchester was simply not affordable for us. Especially in Irvington which is where I was born and raised. I wonder if the taxes are also included as part of the monthly association dues? That would also have to be taken into consideration for any potential condo buyer. Still that's pretty expensive for what is really nothing more than a large apartment in of all places Peekskill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or