Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Harrison near the station is older housing stock. There are very nice houses but they are a drive.
The shopping district is barren. A good sushi place and crepe place and that's it.
But they're building a large luxury apartment complex with retail in downtown Harrison. It probably won't be quiet 5 years from now. It will probably be more similar to Larchmont and Rye downtowns (not as upscale, probably, but similar activity).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:31 AM

71 posts, read 133,634 times
We are in basically the same boat, one child is two years old, and assuming everything goes well, a second child in late summer. We had been looking at a lot of areas in commutable Westchester (I grew up there), have roughly the same budget that you do, and are currently considering Pelham, Mamaroneck, Hastings, Dobbs, a few other places.

One thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaRuss01 View Post
Crestwood/Tuckahoe (Yonkers income tax offsets RET savings, with no public schools to show, so little sense here)
Crestwood and Tuckahoe are in the town of Eastchester, not part of Yonkers, so you don't pay Yonkers income taxes there (although the RE taxes can be bananas). Don't know where you got your info, but it's wrong -- go ahead and call town hall to confirm. I actually would be willing to give some of the nicer areas of Eastchester a shot, but my wife vetoed it. Oh well.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 AM

222 posts, read 540,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbutlooking View Post
We are in basically the same boat, one child is two years old, and assuming everything goes well, a second child in late summer. We had been looking at a lot of areas in commutable Westchester (I grew up there), have roughly the same budget that you do, and are currently considering Pelham, Mamaroneck, Hastings, Dobbs, a few other places.

One thing:

Crestwood and Tuckahoe are in the town of Eastchester, not part of Yonkers, so you don't pay Yonkers income taxes there (although the RE taxes can be bananas). Don't know where you got your info, but it's wrong -- go ahead and call town hall to confirm. I actually would be willing to give some of the nicer areas of Eastchester a shot, but my wife vetoed it. Oh well.
I thought Crestwood was in Yonkers and therefore had the city income tax. Tuckahoe as I understood it is in Eastchester and does not have an income tax. Can anyone clarify this?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:52 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
Crestwood is most definitely a neighborhood in Eastchester. There is no question.

If you live in Crestwood you attend Eastchester schools. If you live in Tuckahoe they have their own school district. But, as with all of Westchester, your zip code doesn't necessarily indicate which school system you will attend, so you MUST check.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:35 PM

9 posts, read 22,837 times
I take the train from White Plains every day - it is an express so it only takes 35 to 40 min to GCT.

There isn't much housing at White Plains, but you might be able to find houses walking distance to the North White Plains and Valhalla stations and take the same express trains to Manhattan. Also, Valhalla schools seem highly rated.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:03 AM

32 posts, read 108,904 times
Crestwood, west of the Crestwood train station, is in Yonkers. I live there and have the tax bill to prove it 😀

Old 04-19-2015, 03:22 PM

24 posts, read 50,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daombr View Post
Crestwood, west of the Crestwood train station, is in Yonkers. I live there and have the tax bill to prove it 😀
Yes, Yonkers PS 15 is in Crestwood. Maybe there's a distinction at the train station line, but the folks in the enclosed neighborhood to the west that most people mean when they say Crestwood is definitely Yonkers.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 14,759 times
If you are only concerned about lower school, you might consider Fleetwood, Mount Vernon, with Pennington schools. They have some lovely homes walking distance to train.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
At that price range, and using your criteria, I would go with Hastings or Mamaroneck. But every town you listed as "under consideration" would be a reasonable choice.
Hastings taxes are likely more than 20K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County