U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 18,225 times

Advertisements

Friends,

I am back in the hunt for a house. We relocated from Houston previously and could not find a house in time, so we rented a house in Larchmont. While we love Larchmont, I also love a 2-car garage and more than 2,000 sqft, both of which seem to be a rarity in LM. So we are looking to buy now that we are armed with more knowledge of the local real estate scene.

We have 2 kids, ages 11 & 8. The 11 yr old will be in middle school next year.

Here is the search criteria we are working with:

4bd/2ba

2-car garage

> or = to 2200 sqft

Finished basement (or good basement to finish ourselves)

Commute on MTR < or = to 35 min

Good schools - I don't want to shell out $$$$$$$ for private school tuition. After all, this is why we live in the suburbs, right? Otherwise I could live in the city.

Price = < or = to $1mm. Prefer to keep it closer to 900,000 but I know how futile that likely will be.

Does not have to be move in ready. In fact we would prefer one where we could renovate to our liking. We have a rental now, so it is not like we will be living thru the renovation period.

So, with my criteria, it all but ensures we are out of Larchmont. I know it may be possible to find a 2 car garage, but it is the sqft and bedrooms that will likely push it out of the price point.

We have been looking at the following towns:

Mamaroneck, Rye, Edgemont, Dobbs Ferry, and our agent keeps mentioning Pelham.

I don't know much at all about Pelham. I commute to the city everyday, so while I would not mind being closer, for some reason I was concerned about the schools in Pelham. Maybe I am thinking of Yonkers?

The taxes preferably will not exceed $30k/yr. Ideally we stay in Mamaroneck schools so I don't have to change my 11 year old's middle school. THey have just made new friends since being here 6 months and if I could keep the schools the same, it would be ideal.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:27 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 8,104,949 times
Did you look in Orienta? Or Shore Acres?

With those specifications though the price will likely be more than you are prepared to pay.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 13,003 times
I would try to look for a station that has an express train to the city: for example, White Plains, Scarsdale, Tarrytown, or even Chappaqua. I commute from White Plains (35 mins to GCT) and the express is faster than living closer to the city and is a smoother ride since it doesn't stop.

I think most of the schools in Westchester are pretty good. Even though they don't all get 10s, I bet most schools send kids to Ivys pretty frequently. For instance, White Plains aren't the highest rated, but you can find posts in this forum from people who think they are just fine.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:47 AM

814 posts, read 1,977,727 times
Don't forget that in the next month or so about a zillion homes are going to come on the market. Just a word or warning, if you see something in Orienta that you like, be prepared to bid immediately. Houses around here sell VERY quickly.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:56 PM

34 posts, read 41,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlemlinehomes View Post
I think most of the schools in Westchester are pretty good. Even though they don't all get 10s, I bet most schools send kids to Ivys pretty frequently. For instance, White Plains aren't the highest rated, but you can find posts in this forum from people who think they are just fine.
Count me among the people who think they are just fine. I graduated from White Plains High School, and am enrolling my daughter in White Plains public schools for kindergarten in September. Many of my classmates (including a number who got into fancy colleges) returned to White Plains to raise their families here, and the other people we know with kids in the schools are happy.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 18,225 times
MEK153, I am sure the White Plains high school was much better than the one today. That is just a product of the times. Most of us (unless you went to an exceptional high school) have seen a decline in the end-product being produced at most high schools these days. That being said, the travel time is critical as I come and go throughout the day so the "express" trains are great, but I seldom leave the city before 7pm, so the express option is not always present. Therefore, local train travel time is important. Chappaqua, while very nice, is simply too far.

Orienta is very nice. We like it very much, but very little has come on the market in the last 6 months, and while that may be due in part, to the fact that the real estate season had all but ended, we shall see what comes up in the next month or so.

HarlemLineHomes - I indicated "Lower Westchester" but I should have said south of 287. Narrows the options quite a bit, but I just need one house to fit the criteria. And not get outbid in the process.

Also--- looking for intel on Pelham. Anyone with any advice?

Old 01-11-2015, 08:53 AM

9 posts, read 13,003 times
Have you looked into Ardsley? Those schools pretty much have all 9 and 10 ratings.

You can check out the Westchester High School ratings in the Westchester Magazine: High School Chart 2014 - Westchester, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County