U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,182 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First time poster here. My wife and I have 2 small kids and currently live in Brooklyn. We're interested in moving to Northern Westchester and have focused on the Croton area. We like the Nature aspect that the area provides as well as the easy commute to the city. However, we're concerned that there may not be enough activities, classes, culture, etc for the kids. I've searched the internet and pored over the forums on this site and people generally say there's tons to do and countless offerings but I haven't found many resources to back this up. Whenever we've come to visit there doesn't seem to be anything going on and we don't see many people out and about, perhaps this is just Suburban living? I'm hoping someone can give me more detailed info on this.

Is there a local recreation center where kids can congregate in the winter or rainy days? Is there a local YMCA? Sports Leagues? Performance Art Center?

Also, I know the Croton school system is very small, which sounds nice and quaint, but I'm wondering if the depth of course offerings is pretty slim as a result of this. Anyone with kids currently in the school system care to chime in?

Thanks in advance,

bk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM

552 posts, read 793,807 times
Village of Croton-On-Hudson, NY - Recreation and Parks

You're also right next door to Ossining, which has plenty to offer on the kid experience as well. There seem to be a lot of young families in both towns.

If you're on Facebook, your best bet for the answer you're looking for is probably here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/151547291632394/

Old 01-13-2015, 07:00 AM

678 posts, read 665,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.editor View Post
Hello,

First time poster here. My wife and I have 2 small kids and currently live in Brooklyn. We're interested in moving to Northern Westchester and have focused on the Croton area. We like the Nature aspect that the area provides as well as the easy commute to the city. However, we're concerned that there may not be enough activities, classes, culture, etc for the kids. I've searched the internet and pored over the forums on this site and people generally say there's tons to do and countless offerings but I haven't found many resources to back this up. Whenever we've come to visit there doesn't seem to be anything going on and we don't see many people out and about, perhaps this is just Suburban living? I'm hoping someone can give me more detailed info on this.

Is there a local recreation center where kids can congregate in the winter or rainy days? Is there a local YMCA? Sports Leagues? Performance Art Center?

Also, I know the Croton school system is very small, which sounds nice and quaint, but I'm wondering if the depth of course offerings is pretty slim as a result of this. Anyone with kids currently in the school system care to chime in?

Thanks in advance,

bk
The Village of Croton is a part of the Town of Cortlandt, and a portion of your taxes go to fund one of the most active recreation departments in the county. go to Recreation & Conservation Department - Town of Cortlandt, NY

and look at the town's resources. They offer dozens of activities all year, indoor and outdoor. My son is 7 and he has played football, baseball and basketball, taken piano and chess lessons and is going to work on guitar lessons this year, all through the town's rec department. Its top notch.

As for suburban living, yes, it is way different than Brooklyn. I am from the Bay Ridge area, and living up here is a different as it can be, but once you get past that it is just different, the level of socializing and activity is the same. It just requires meeting people. We have not had a free weekend in years, unless we try hard to plan it that way. There is stuff going on every weekend.

Croton schools do not lack for anything. In fact, they are the best in northern westchester. You are moving to a great location.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 9,504,534 times
Are there any farmers' markets and/or farms near Croton where one can buy produce like dairy, meats, vegetables and fruits?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 AM

552 posts, read 793,807 times
Croton has an outdoor one during the warmer months. Ossining has one year round. Info on both can be found here: Ossining Indoor Winter Farmers Market | Down to Earth Markets

Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM

14 posts, read 21,681 times
There are definitely fewer people out and about up here than what we were used to in Brooklyn. It's much quieter, and it's taken a couple of years to figure out the family social scene.

But there are plenty of things to do for all ages. Some of that is in Croton, at the library, etc. Some is in Ossining. Some of it is Montrose at the Hendrick Hudson Library or JY Moon Tae Kwon Do or the Rec Center or the activities at Premier Athletic Club. And there's a burgeoning art scene that works for families up in Peekskill. Check out HVCCA.org and necspace.com. If you are going to miss any of the "grittiness" of the city, Peekskill is the closest place to find cooler bars and restaurants, etc.

We run the risk of being overscheduled just like we did in Brooklyn.

Just FWIW, we looked in Croton and fell in love with a house in Montrose, in the Hendrick Hudson school district. Our kids are in the Frank G. Lindsay elementary school, and we are very happy there. I sometimes drive the 10 minutes to the Croton Harmon station rather than take the 5 minute ride to the Cortland station to take advantage of the schedule.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:48 AM

678 posts, read 665,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Are there any farmers' markets and/or farms near Croton where one can buy produce like dairy, meats, vegetables and fruits?
There are some good farmer's markets. There is one in Croton, Ossining and a great one in Peekskill. Peekskil is the one I like best.
there is also a place called Kurt's Homestead in cortlandt. It does this farm box delivery where for a very fair price (It was $300 for the season when I last did it). You got a box of farm to your house fruits and veggies each week, depending what was in season locally. Fantastic deal in terms of price and great local veggies.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,182 times
ANM1982, dr.strangelove, & MontroseDad - Thank you for all the input and links, this is exactly the info I was looking for. There certainly seems to be enough to keep my lil ones and us grown-ups busy.

Forest_Hills_Daddy - thanks for asking about this, I was also curious to know about farmer's markets and local dairy and meats. The farm box delivery sounds great.

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply to my questions.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,555 times
My wife and I moved from Brooklyn with our four girls four years ago and we love it, but don't expect all the shopping conveniences and choices you have in Brooklyn.

The farmers market here in Croton is ok, but not great. We are expecting a new gourmet grocery store soon though. (see the following link: EverythingCroton: OLD ZEYTINIA LOCATION RENTED TO ANOTHER FOOD CHAIN? UPDATED, CONFIRMED, IT'S RENTED)

The real benefit of living in Croton is the proximity to farms in the Hudson Valley and Catskills. Drive an hour, or so, and you'll be able to purchase directly from the farmers themselves.

As far as kids activities are concerned, if you are not careful, you and your kids can get easily burned out with all the actives here. There are sports and scout leagues galore. The village is full with artists and musicians who teach private lessons. Not to mention a number of small businesses that offer classes. See the link following to our local kids magazine: Mom Offers More - Local Information for Northern Westchester

The Croton Free Library has a nice kid's section, and offers many child centered events. www.crotonfreelibrary.org/

The schools all have strong athletic and music programs. http://www.croton-harmonschools.org/

The Teatown Nature Center is a popular destinations with lots of children's programs and a summer camp offerings. http://www.teatown.org/

We have a local sailing school that offers a summer sailing camp. http://www.crotonsailing.com/

The following is a good site for following local events: Watch Croton | Watching Croton and all its unambiguous Crotonness

Last edited by edepass; 02-01-2015 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County