U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,358 times

Advertisements

All,

We will be moving to NY area in couple of months. We will be looking to move to either Westchester county or Northern NJ; DH has a job in mid-town. We like the idea of Westchester simply because of quality of schools and easier commute to mid-town. We have visited few towns in Westchester but its hard to get a feel about these towns. We visited Ardsley, Rye Brook, and Armonk. Our budget is up to $1.2 mil. We have following questions:

1) What part of westchester gives you a better sense of community while also giving privacy? The houses in Ardsley and Rye Brook were eye-sore while Armonk felt too spread out. We are looking for land no more than 0.5 acres while also getting a chance to meet our neighbors. We will be new to the area so making friends will be important.

2) what towns in the county are not (or less) hilly? I understand that the entire county is hilly but wondering if there are towns that are less hilly.

3) we are Indian (Asian). While we don't want to limit ourselves to Indian community, we also don't want to be only Indians in the town. My son will start Kindergarten this fall and we don't want him to stand out.

4) when is the school registration process starting? Will we be too late if we try to register with schools in May?

Sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 PM

73 posts, read 97,508 times
I am not sure about community feel but if you don't want hills don't pick any of the towns close to the hudson river.

The hudson river valley is very steep and the towns are built in to the side of the hill and the roads are very steep.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:29 AM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Well, Ardsley, Rye Brook, and Armonk are strange places to start IMO. If you don't want hills then you need to stick to the Sound Shore side of the county. Try starting in the Larchmont-Mamaroneck-Harrison-Rye area. You'll get what you want house wise and community feeling wise. Mamaroneck and Harrison will be more diverse than the other two.

It doesn't matter when you register for public school. If you live in the district then they have to take you.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:21 PM

195 posts, read 190,969 times
I second Harrison and would add Eastchester also.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
Well, Ardsley, Rye Brook, and Armonk are strange places to start IMO. If you don't want hills then you need to stick to the Sound Shore side of the county. Try starting in the Larchmont-Mamaroneck-Harrison-Rye area. You'll get what you want house wise and community feeling wise. Mamaroneck and Harrison will be more diverse than the other two.

It doesn't matter when you register for public school. If you live in the district then they have to take you.

Thanks for your response. How about the schools in Larchmont-Mamaroneck-Harrison? I understand Rye is great but I doubt we will find something in our price range. How about Chappaqua? I hear the schools are great. Is it also very hilly region? Is it too spread out like neighboring Armonk?

Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM

627 posts, read 486,954 times
The Larchmont/Mamaroneck schools are quite good, and are considered to be better than the schools in Harrison. I think Mamaroneck or Larchmont would be an excellent choice for your criteria.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:53 PM

815 posts, read 1,981,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCmovin View Post
Thanks for your response. How about the schools in Larchmont-Mamaroneck-Harrison? I understand Rye is great but I doubt we will find something in our price range. How about Chappaqua? I hear the schools are great. Is it also very hilly region? Is it too spread out like neighboring Armonk?
We found Chappaqua to be too rural for our taste - lots of hills and and very isolated with neighbors far apart in most places. That said, if you can find a house near the village center it's more condensed.

The schools in Larchmont/Mamaroneck are great (it's one district) and I hear nothing but great things from friends with kids in the Harrison schools. Harrison covers a very large area with very diverse housing stock, from multi-million dollar mansions in Purchase (part of Harrison for schools purposes) to multi-family houses and modest single family homes near the "downtown". The area known as Sterling Ridge, roughly bordered by Union Ave, the Hutch, and North Street (triangle) is gorgeous.

There are some very nice neighborhoods in Larchmont and Mamaroneck that would fit the bill as well, with your budget going farther in Mamaroneck (plus you get bigger lots in Mamaroneck). Larchmont has sidewalks which people love. I live in an area called Orienta in Mamaroneck which we absolutely love, and Shore Acres is another great neighborhood (Rye Neck Schools, which are great too). If you can find something you like at your price point in Larchmont or Mamaroneck I think you'd be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County